Sponsored

Rhino Rack Backbone WITH Maximus-3 Roof Ladder

noname831

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU in a few months, Challenger Scatpack
For the ladder, depending on the platform legs, you may need spacers. I think I have the low profile legs and spacers weren’t needed. You do need to drill two holes at the bottom inside of the hard top into the body tub as you can see in my photos.
Just installed it today. Not sure why people think they don’t have to drill? There is no other way to mount the lower bracket to the Jeep. If you have spacers on your low profile legs, you will need spacers on the bracket. 1/2”-3/4” at most. 2” is crazy. That must be for the regular height legs on the platform. Not sure how practical the ladder is, but it sure looks good.
Sponsored

frogger2020

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Wrangler JL
Just installed it today. Not sure why people think they don’t have to drill? There is no other way to mount the lower bracket to the Jeep. If you have spacers on your low profile legs, you will need spacers on the bracket. 1/2”-3/4” at most. 2” is crazy. That must be for the regular height legs on the platform. Not sure how practical the ladder is, but it sure looks good.
Congrats. Post some pics!

AndrewB

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
I have the Rhino Rack backbone with the low profile legs. I thought I would need to have some spacers on the ladder, but it fit perfectly as you can see in the pictures.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rhino Rack Backbone WITH Maximus-3 Roof Ladder 54320F5D-6970-43AE-961A-6C03ECE26648

Jeep Wrangler JL Rhino Rack Backbone WITH Maximus-3 Roof Ladder 54320F5D-6970-43AE-961A-6C03ECE26648

Thank you so much mate. I appreciate this a lot!

OP
OP
Karmic.Shift

Karmic.Shift

First Name
Stephen D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Altitude | 2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Took off to Big Bear right after I finished. Not sure how practical it is, but my kids love it.
How is the wind noise for this setup? does it whistle on the highway?

Sponsored

noname831

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How is the wind noise for this setup? does it whistle on the highway?
Honestly I don’t hear much more than the usual interior sound of a Jeep. I’m also always playing music, so that probably helps drown out any extra noise. I certainly haven’t heard any whistling yet.

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
Question, I’m about to install mine now but curious how everyone got access to the nut beneath the tub? With a body molding it’s extremely tough and I’m not sure how practical it would be to take the top on and off. Your help is appreciated

CaliMat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I need help!

I cannot go with the Maximus-3 Roof rack because I have the American Adventure Lab MASS Cargo Shelf. It is using the brackets needed for the Maximus-3 Roof Rack Mount. https://americanadventurelab.com/product/jeep-jl-m-a-s-s-cargo-shelf/

My only other option is to go with the Rhino-Rack Backbone system.

Now, will the Maximus-3 roof Ladder work with the Rhino-Rack Backbone System?
https://maximus-3.com/2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-jlu-roof-rack/maximus-3-jl-roof-rack-ladder
https://www.justforjeeps.com/rhino-...MI67GIyYD76AIV1AiICR247AEAEAQYBSABEgL-I_D_BwE

After some research, I have seen it done before but I don't know if the shop did any customization to it. I haven't seen this done anywhere except for this google image I found. Will this work out of the box if I purchase both items?

Hey totally unrelated question, what is the maximum height under the AAL cargo shelf?

noname831

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Question, I’m about to install mine now but curious how everyone got access to the nut beneath the tub? With a body molding it’s extremely tough and I’m not sure how practical it would be to take the top on and off. Your help is appreciated
No way to access the bottom nuts without popping off the side panel. One small screw and some elbow grease. There’s some videos on YouTube that show you how to remove the inner paneling.

Sponsored

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Installed the ladder today on a Backbone system, what a PITA! I had to fabricate flag nuts on the inside so that I can remove the hard top with ease and YES, I needed to install spacers. The ladder also wants to sit about 3" out from the bracket and I needed to apply pressure to push it in to the bracket. It appeared that the rhino rack needed to be about 3" narrower to align with he bracket. I don't think I did anything wrong, but I'm open to suggestions.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rhino Rack Backbone WITH Maximus-3 Roof Ladder IMG_4629
Jeep Wrangler JL Rhino Rack Backbone WITH Maximus-3 Roof Ladder IMG_4636
Jeep Wrangler JL Rhino Rack Backbone WITH Maximus-3 Roof Ladder IMG_4635
Jeep Wrangler JL Rhino Rack Backbone WITH Maximus-3 Roof Ladder IMG_4639

noname831

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Installed the ladder today on a Backbone system, what a PITA! I had to fabricate flag nuts on the inside so that I can remove the hard top with ease and YES, I needed to install spacers. The ladder also wants to sit about 3" out from the bracket and I needed to apply pressure to push it in to the bracket. It appeared that the rhino rack needed to be about 3" narrower to align with he bracket. I don't think I did anything wrong, but I'm open to suggestions.
Looks great. I just used longer bolts and they eventually came together with the base. It’s not moving at all. Great choice in wheels too!! Great minds think alike.

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looks great. I just used longer bolts and they eventually came together with the base. It’s not moving at all. Great choice in wheels too!! Great minds think alike.
Thanks, you obviously have great taste!
So, your ladder did not align with the bracket as well? That would make me feel better if thats the case. I used longer bolts too and utilized the Rhino Rack aluminum drill depth guide as my spacer.

noname831

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, you obviously have great taste!
So, your ladder did not align with the bracket as well? That would make me feel better if thats the case. I used longer bolts too and utilized the Rhino Rack aluminum drill depth guide as my spacer.
Nope. Didn’t directly line up with it. The Maximus-3 pioneer platform is 54” and the rhino rack one is 56”. So it sits a little further in. I just manhandled it a little and now it’s good.
Sponsored