Sponsored

Question for Folks with the Pioneer roof rack (Maximus 3 or Rhino Backbone)

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
Hey folks,

I've mounted the Rhino Backbone Pioneer roof rack.
The Maximus 3 system also leverages the Pioneer rack.

Question is - do any of you run this rack through car-washes that are NOT touchless? If so, any issues ever?
I realize it is not a good idea...but wondering if certain racks are more or less prone to getting caught in the brushes.

My jeep is filthy, and the touchless car washes don't accomplish much. Fully realize I can wash by hand, but I do love the convenience of the automatic car-wash.

An idea I've had is to purchase a custom vinyl cover (not too expensive) matched to the dimensions of the rack, along with draw-string / elastic or other closure...I'd opt for whatever is most secure. I'm thinking that this sort of cover might mitigate the potential for the brush to catch. Any thoughts on that?

Cheers all!
Sponsored

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Hey folks,

I've mounted the Rhino Backbone Pioneer roof rack.
The Maximus 3 system also leverages the Pioneer rack.

Question is - do any of you run this rack through car-washes that are NOT touchless? If so, any issues ever?
I realize it is not a good idea...but wondering if certain racks are more or less prone to getting caught in the brushes.

My jeep is filthy, and the touchless car washes don't accomplish much. Fully realize I can wash by hand, but I do love the convenience of the automatic car-wash.

An idea I've had is to purchase a custom vinyl cover (not too expensive) matched to the dimensions of the rack, along with draw-string / elastic or other closure...I'd opt for whatever is most secure. I'm thinking that this sort of cover might mitigate the potential for the brush to catch. Any thoughts on that?

Cheers all!
The rhino rack instructions say not to. You risk breaking up the caulking seal and having a leak. Not worth the risk

Biohazard

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (sold May 2020); now own 2020 trd pro Tacoma
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've done mine a few times (maximus 3 system). No leaks, no problems. Even have the for O ring tie downs.

OP
OP
Bocephus

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Awesome, thank you

Paul19JLR

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Maximus-3 uses rubber gaskets no seal to break if its removed. Ive taking mine thru a few times now and had no issues with the rack on.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bocephus

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Thanks guys, I ran my Rhino Backbone Pioneer rack through the car wash today. Zero problem.

Leesburg Station AutoWash, Leesburg Va - truly the best car wash I've ever been too. Pulling up, the attendant says - oh roof rack, have you ran that through before? Nope. Hold one second he says, and brings a second attendant. They take a few seconds to assess and advise that I should be fine, they provide their reasoning, and add that although I should be fine..of course they're not liable for any damage.

Ran through like a champ, no leaks, no snags.

At this car wash, the only elements that contact the rack is a bunch of ~3 inch wide heavy/wet fabric strips suspended above that lower and gently undulate in a sort of pulling/scrub motion. I think I "should" be good to go at this car wash, and will make it my regular stop for my jeep. Totally realize, as Mattyp1214 smartly pointed out, that this is not advised and done at risk.

Thanks all!

Biohazard

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (sold May 2020); now own 2020 trd pro Tacoma
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Is this Biohazard Bill? From Michigan Jeepers / Great Lakes 4x4?
Nope. I'm from NC, currently living in NY, heading to TN next year.
Sponsored