NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Before my JL, I had a Ram 1500 and it had the soy-based wiring insulation. And, of course, it attracted squirrels and other vermin which caused me over $1K in repair costs to the wiring. Whoever decided to put wiring insulation that is made from a *foodstuff* in a vehicle should be drawn and quartered!

I explicitly asked FCA whether it had soy-based insulation on the Wrangler that I was wanting to buy and they said that they "could find no evidence of soy-based insulation in the vehicle". Now, does that mean that it doesn't have it? Not really... It could just mean that their supplier does not list what the insulation is made from or FCA does not keep track of it. I didn't ask them about bumpers though. In the grand scheme of things though, you would probably prefer to have them chewing on your bumpers than on your wiring. Bumpers are a lot cheaper to replace than wiring since they're easier to get to and less labor is involved.

On a house that I used to own, I had to replace the cover on one of the vent stacks on the roof at some point. The vent stack was made from lead and it was very obvious that it had tooth marks on it from where the squirrels had been chewing on the portion that bent over the PVC vent pipe.

I live in a neighborhood where every house has at least one live oak tree in their yard, so plenty of acorns. As such, there's plenty of squirrels also. You would think that with all those acorns, the squirrels would not need to chew on wiring insulation, but apparently this stupid soy-based stuff is really tasty to them. :(
Sponsored

First Name
Claire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
mix some cayenne pepper in vaseline, then coat it over your bumper. We had a pet squirrel and this saved our furniture from becoming chew toys
A few weeks ago, a friend of mine was looking at my Sahara JLU for the first time and asked how I had already tore up the front bumper. Not knowing what he was talking about, I looked and saw several gouge marks on the left side of the bumper. Soon after, I witnessed a squirrel having a feast on the bumper. Within just a couple of weeks, my bumper is now torn up all over with deep teeth/gouge marks. Has anyone else had this problem? Minus upgrading the factory Sahara plastic bumper to steel, I'm at a loss on how to stop this. Insurance is replacing the bumper cover now but I'm sure it's going to continue to happen unless I find a solution or move somewhere with no squirrels.

090.JPG

085.JPG

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Go to Harbor Freight and buy 1 or 2 small "live-traps" use bird feeder seeds in a tin inside the trap. You can put the trap down on the ground under your bumpers and the squirrels will definitely go for the seeds rather than your bumpers. Of course the traps will capture them (harmlessly) and you can take them to another neighbor hood and release them. It not expensive and its humane.

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Rub peanut butter on your neighbors bumper and transfer the problem ;)
Sponsored