Help me pick a front bumper!

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 JL Diesel Sport S
I could use some help picking a front bumper. There are way too many to choose from so I'm hoping to get some opinions from people that have already purchased one.

Here are the things that are important to me.
  • Must be compatible with LED fog lights
  • Overrider or bull bar must not totally obscure the front camera.
  • Must allow for a winch to be mounted low so as not to cover the grille too much
  • Prefer to have a compatible skid plate available to protect any components under the front of the Jeep
I have a few on my short list but I'm not sure which to go with or if something else would be better than all of them so if you have a bumper that is awesome that I've overlooked feel free to tell me all about it.

Rugged Ridge Venator - I like the look but I'm afraid it might not hold up very well. It looks a little flimsy. I like that the overrider is small and angled back so it won't get in the way of the front camera too much.

Rugged Ridge HD Stubby - I like that it seems to be a bit more sturdy than the Venator. It looks like the overrider bar might be in the way of the camera a bit.

Warn Elite - This one seems pretty sturdy and it's probably my top choice so far.
This is the one Iā€™m having installed from Motobilt
Jeep Wrangler JL Help me pick a front bumper! 30BC35F0-B094-4FB2-9D95-4614B3E5C71F
Sponsored

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
Not the best picture but here is my Metalcloak. You have a couple options on bull bars and the skid plate. You can also put shorter end caps on but lose the ability to use factory fogs.

Jeep Wrangler JL Help me pick a front bumper! {filename}

Jeep Wrangler JL Help me pick a front bumper! {filename}

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
itā€™s a Jeep JL - OEM Steel Bumper is the best way to go.

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
Amateur Cynic/Professional Skeptic
You are getting lots of great feedback here. I recently changed out a stock plastic bumper on my 2021 JLUR. I swear I researched bumper for 5 months before I landed on one.

I agree the OEM steel just looks ā€œrightā€ on a Jeep JL, but IMHOā€¦ *for the money* and quality I think there are better options out there. Further, I didnā€™t want my Jeep to looks completely ā€œstockā€ so the desire for a non-OEM bumper is where I went. Iā€™m thrilled with my decision, but these are highly personal choices, only you will know the right one.

But goshā€¦ so many choices, it isnā€™t an easy road.

I wanted stubby, and to reuse factory LED fogs, have a recessed winch area and welded (not bolted) on over rider/bull bar. I also wanted it to have an obvious ā€œstoutā€ look about it that stamped steel (the OEM) just doesnā€™t give meā€¦ so I picked th Smittybilt XRC Gen 2. No complaints.

good luck and enjoy the shopping experience.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
I do love the modular feature of the OEM steel bumper. Not a lot of aftermarket bumpers have the ability to be a stubby for trail riding and then a full width for potential highway fender benders.
You mentioned the Venator, and something people don't seem to consider about it, is that there are end caps available that replace the full width ends. It can be run as a stubby or a full width same as the factory steel bumper. The end caps do NOT come with it though, so it's extra cost.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I skipped the fog lights when I decided on cav fab predator.

Got the rest of the list covered.

Sponsored

double J

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon Xtreme
Nah ..a lot better options in the aftermarket.
It's a Jeep ...anything bolt on is replaced with something better.
You mentioned the Venator, and something people don't seem to consider about it, is that there are end caps available that replace the full width ends. It can be run as a stubby or a full width same as the factory steel bumper. The end caps do NOT come with it though, so it's extra cost.
I had the Venator full width bumper, wanted to buy ends to turn it to the stubby version. They would not sell me the parts needed.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
I had the Venator full width bumper, wanted to buy ends to turn it to the stubby version. They would not sell me the parts needed.
They have a kit out now, I found the part number, and it's available separately for about $150. But, it's like you had to know the part number back then or you couldn't find it. That's changed, several places list it now. https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/2022-...V5n44CtYF4CJieHLOOcLUCAHuxwDOtqRoCMvQQAvD_BwE

I bought the bumper in January, and found the ends. I have the part number written on the install manual for the bumper at the house.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
In fact, I just ordered from RR directly since they're having a 10% off sale. They showed in stock. It's not cheap, but it makes the bumper customizable.

JMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
I could use some help picking a front bumper. There are way too many to choose from so I'm hoping to get some opinions from people that have already purchased one.

Here are the things that are important to me.
  • Must be compatible with LED fog lights
  • Overrider or bull bar must not totally obscure the front camera.
  • Must allow for a winch to be mounted low so as not to cover the grille too much
  • Prefer to have a compatible skid plate available to protect any components under the front of the Jeep
I have a few on my short list but I'm not sure which to go with or if something else would be better than all of them so if you have a bumper that is awesome that I've overlooked feel free to tell me all about it.

Rugged Ridge Venator - I like the look but I'm afraid it might not hold up very well. It looks a little flimsy. I like that the overrider is small and angled back so it won't get in the way of the front camera too much.

Rugged Ridge HD Stubby - I like that it seems to be a bit more sturdy than the Venator. It looks like the overrider bar might be in the way of the camera a bit.

Warn Elite - This one seems pretty sturdy and it's probably my top choice so far.
I just put on a RR Arcus bumper and lower skid with a Warn 10s. Fog lights fit fine (Led from plastic bumper JLURD). Easy install, just leave everything loose until all is installed. Do the skid after the bumper is on and totally tight. Be sure to run winch wires as soon as winch is on. Need a few different basic wrenches, a ratcheting box end is the best for the winch guard bar. Winch guard bar has only small impact on front camera imo. Happy with it so far.
Jeep Wrangler JL Help me pick a front bumper! 6CB7B528-243E-471B-AE0D-B4F8A95A4DA2
Jeep Wrangler JL Help me pick a front bumper! A445D45D-342D-433C-AA7A-D232A3ED8015

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer