Sponsored

Help me Pick a New Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier

JMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, JLUR
I've got a JLUR on order now, and I bypassed the reinforced hinge-gate and steel bumpers options in favor of aftermarket.

I'm hoping to find a bumper mounted tire carrier, with adjustments for height of tire based on tire size. I'd like it to be one step tailgate opening, rather than open the carrier, then open the tailgate. Optional mounts would be nice, but not required. It must handle rear parking sensors. I thought the LoD Destroyer would be a great option, but with their recent fire, I'm afraid they may be out of commission longer than I can wait. Ace Engineering looks nice, but not height adjustment. I've seen others that people say the quality is just low. I've been searching and reading threads for days, but can't find a solid recommendation out there other than LoD, which is unfortunately not a choice in the near term. Any other thoughts? How about the Poison Spider one? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Poison Spyder is the direction I'm leaning, but it is not drilled for the sensors. Given the angles involved, I'm not so sure it successfully could be drilled for sensors even if you wanted to. In addition to LOD, Hauck Off-road could be a possibility in that it checks all your boxes, but the style is definitely a little on the "edgy" side for my tastes.

OP
OP
JMatt

JMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, JLUR
Poison Spyder is the direction I'm leaning, but it is not drilled for the sensors. Given the angles involved, I'm not so sure it successfully could be drilled for sensors even if you wanted to. In addition to LOD, Hauck Off-road could be a possibility in that it checks all your boxes, but the style is definitely a little on the "edgy" side for my tastes.
I agree on all your points. I guess I'm basically hoping LoD gets up and running without tooooo much delay. I talked to the Poison Spyder folks and they said maybe in the Spring for something with the sensors. And Hauck I haven't decided if I love or hate yet. It's definitely their own flavor, and props to them for that.

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
Check out the bumpers from Rock Hard 4x4. I got their bumper and tire carrier sitting in my garage right now....awaiting delivery of my new 2020 Rubi. Good stuff....and all the adjustment you are looking for.....IMO.

Sponsored

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Rock Hard doesn't open with the tailgate, but appears to check all the other boxes.

Glen722

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon JLU
I've got a JLUR on order now, and I bypassed the reinforced hinge-gate and steel bumpers options in favor of aftermarket.

I'm hoping to find a bumper mounted tire carrier, with adjustments for height of tire based on tire size. I'd like it to be one step tailgate opening, rather than open the carrier, then open the tailgate. Optional mounts would be nice, but not required. It must handle rear parking sensors. I thought the LoD Destroyer would be a great option, but with their recent fire, I'm afraid they may be out of commission longer than I can wait. Ace Engineering looks nice, but not height adjustment. I've seen others that people say the quality is just low. I've been searching and reading threads for days, but can't find a solid recommendation out there other than LoD, which is unfortunately not a choice in the near term. Any other thoughts? How about the Poison Spider one? Thanks in advance.
I ordered LOD's Signature Shorty Front Bumper and LOD's Destroyer Shorty Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier on Black Friday (November 29) from LOD. They both arrived on December 6! The front bumper is on and I'm starting the rear tomorrow morning.

lumberjack357

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK

The JCR Crusader (mid width) or Vanguard (full width) bumpers with their Shield tire carrier satisfy all your needs.

https://www.jcroffroad.com/category/JLBmp.html

OP
OP
JMatt

JMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, JLUR
Just got a call from LoD and my new front and rear bumpers and tire carrier are ready to go. Now I just need my Diesel Rubicon.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
The JCR Crusader (mid width) or Vanguard (full width) bumpers with their Shield tire carrier satisfy all your needs.

https://www.jcroffroad.com/category/JLBmp.html
I just installed a JCR rear bumper and tire carrier on a JLUR. I would not give you $12.00 dollars for their rear bumper/tire carrier. The rear bumper is good, the tire carrier not a chance.

If you bought the rear bumper ok, The tire carrier is a joke, or I should say, the license plate relocation is a joke, the wiring process is a joke, the way the spare mounts to the tire carrier is a joke, Hey JCR, everything on a JL is metric, thanks for having all the fastener in SAE. Thanks, now I have to have two different types of lugnuts, two different types of tools to change a tire and carry two different types of spare lugnuts two different locking lug nut keys. You would think that when buying 1500 dollar bumper/tire carrier, they could include a easy quick disconnect for the third brake light and license plate light, nope. You would think that the tire would compress against the tire carrier so that it would not hang out unsupported and shake, nope.

The only thing is this is not on my JLUR, it is on my buds JLUR. So now I can listen to him complain about it for ever.
Sponsored