Help me pick a rear bumper

mschlott

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 2019 JLUR
I should have bought a new rear bumper right away, but I waited until I dropped on it and pushed it into the quarter. Luckily just damaged the paint on the quarter.

Here are what I think are my must haves. Help me narrow it down.

Sturdy. I know I'm going to drop off a ledge again and will probably hit it harder than before.

Wrap around corners. I don't like the ones that leave a large opening between the fender flairs and the bumper.

Holes for backup sensors that point the right direction. I know some bumpers have the holes, but either point in the wrong direction have other mounting issues.

At least as much spare tire clearance as the factory steel bumper. I have a 35 on there and it rubs the bumper but still opens and closes.

Clearance for the factory receiver and trailer light plug.

Nice to haves.
License plate mount.
Backup lights. As long as they don't cause a weak point on the bumper.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mschlott

mschlott

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dang! Not one? Either I'm being too picky or no one likes their bumper.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I should have bought a new rear bumper right away, but I waited until I dropped on it and pushed it into the quarter. Luckily just damaged the paint on the quarter.

Sturdy. I know I'm going to drop off a ledge again and will probably hit it harder than before.

Wrap around corners. I don't like the ones that leave a large opening between the fender flairs and the bumper.

Holes for backup sensors that point the right direction. I know some bumpers have the holes, but either point in the wrong direction have other mounting issues.

At least as much spare tire clearance as the factory steel bumper. I have a 35 on there and it rubs the bumper but still opens and closes.

Nice to haves.
License plate mount.

I like LOD Destroyer rear bumper. Not cheap but excellent quality and functionality. Plus modular to changes you may desire later.

The problem with many reverse sensors is the spare tire can be picked up by them when you go 12.5in wide tires and this causes a lot of people to have their backup sensors alarm.

Also this bumper is 10% off at Northridge right now, so it is a great time to buy it

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal

Nice to haves.
License plate mount.
i have the body armor rear bumper and tire carrier set up. it pretty much have everything you wanted. heres mine.
Jeep Wrangler JL Help me pick a rear bumper 20210506_162833[1]

OP
OP
mschlott

mschlott

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i have the body armor rear bumper and tire carrier set up. it pretty much have everything you wanted. heres mine.
Jeep Wrangler JL Help me pick a rear bumper 20210506_162833[1]
There is a lot I like about that bumper. I would not be using the tire carrier though.

It seems like it might reduce the departure angle from the factory bumper, but it would definitely be more sturdy. How did it work with the trailer light plug? Did you have to modify anything?

Sponsored

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Mine isn't here yet. I have a cav fab predator on order. It's missing things you want. From pics and videos...I think it will take care of my needs.

Wrap around
License plate mount.
Backup lights.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
There is a lot I like about that bumper. I would not be using the tire carrier though.

It seems like it might reduce the departure angle from the factory bumper, but it would definitely be more sturdy. How did it work with the trailer light plug? Did you have to modify anything?
you can get just the bumper. and later on get the tire carrier. that the nice thing about this bumper and at a affordable price.

as for the departure angle. imho i dont think it would be an issue. my hitch is butted up to the cross bar. so its tucked up there. as for the bumper, i think its just the right size and plenty of protection.

i dont have trailer light plug right now. but the hitch came with a bracket. which bolt right next to the hitch. again its tuck up out of the way. the cube lights you see are bolted on the tabs on the bumper. there are block off plates included if you dont want to run lights.

there is nothing to modify. the bumpr is a complete bolt on. i wound stongly suggest to have an extra set of hand to install the bumper. but cause you dont want to smack the bumper corners into the body. do note that the license plate light will require you to cut the factory wire and wire it to the provided light.
Sponsored