unconfirmed

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Soon)
Good evening!

I'm trying to decide what bumper to get for a new JLUR order.

I've looked through a bunch of the Aftermarket Bumper Thread above in the stickies, and while it's full of great info on available options, there really isn't much in the way of picking the right bumper style for what you want to do. The array of available options is a little overwhelming.

I was leaning toward the mopar Steel Bumper Group, but came across several people saying it's not that great, particularly on the rear, and to save that money and get something else after-market.

Can someone explain the pros/cons of the different styles (full width, mid-width, stubby, etc) and how to choose the best one for you, or whether I should just stick with the factory steel bumper.

I'm planning to stick with the factory 33" tires for now.

My typical usage scenario:

My Jeep will be mostly a daily driver, with some occasional mild to moderate off-roading, at least initially. Not planning for doing serious rock crawling or adventure racing sort of stuff (at least right now...).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
unconfirmed.
Sponsored

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
The factory rear steel bumper is a joke. A lot of people have experienced damage to the tub because the bumper flexes and twist to much when taking a beating. But if you're not offroading, it's perfectly acceptable unless you want a different look. If you want to replace it, you just have to decide if you want a tire carrier or not. If you go with a bumper tire carrier combo, make sure to get a single action carrier so you're not always swinging the tire out of the way to open the tailgate to make life easier.

The factory front steel is one of the best looking, in my opinion but may not be the strongest out there. With the end caps off the factory front steel bumper, it would probably fall more in line with a mid with bumper. An aftermarket full width bumper is heavy. All aftermarket bumpers are usually made of 3/16 or 1/4 steel, so a full width can easily add upwards of 100 pounds alone to the front. Then add a winch on top of that and you're 150 pounds on the nose.
A stubby bumper is going to offer the most clearance for larger tires but you'll usually have to make a choice if you want a recessed winch or fog lights. Very difficult to find with both features, if that matters to you.

Me personally, I'm torn between factory front steel or Motobilts Crusher. I haven't decided on a rear one yet.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm rambling but when you're drunk at the airport it's hard to make a coherent response from your phone...

OP
OP
unconfirmed

unconfirmed

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Soon)
The factory rear steel bumper is a joke. A lot of people have experienced damage to the tub because the bumper flexes and twist to much when taking a beating. But if you're not offroading, it's perfectly acceptable unless you want a different look. If you want to replace it, you just have to decide if you want a tire carrier or not. If you go with a bumper tire carrier combo, make sure to get a single action carrier so you're not always swinging the tire out of the way to open the tailgate to make life easier.

The factory front steel is one of the best looking, in my opinion but may not be the strongest out there. With the end caps off the factory front steel bumper, it would probably fall more in line with a mid with bumper. An aftermarket full width bumper is heavy. Usually made of 3/16 or 1/4 steel, it can add upwards of 100 pounds alone to the front. Then add a winch on top of that and you're 150 pounds on the nose.
A stubby bumper is going to offer the most clearance for larger tires but you'll usually have to make a choice if you want a recessed winch or fog lights. Very difficult to find with both features, if that matters to you.

Me personally, I'm torn between factory front steel or Motobilts Crusher. I haven't decided on a rear one yet.
Thanks! Good info!

Sorry if it sounds like I'm rambling but when you're drunk at the airport it's hard to make a coherent response from your phone...
Good thing I’m into the wine then. It made perfect sense. Not rambling at all. :CWL:

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Thanks! Good info!

Good thing I’m into the wine then. It made perfect sense. Not rambling at all. :CWL:
Dang, drunk me did alright.

Sober me, here...
The style of bumper really depends on you and what you like, which really only you can make that decision. When you're looking through build threads there's always a common theme between what bumpers people choose. The daily drivers, mall crawlers, suburbanite dad rigs, overland builds tend to either go with a full width or mid. (Not making fun of, just trying to paint a picture) Some do go with a stubby but almost everyone who knows they're going to get into technical obstacles and throw 37"+ tires go with a stubby or even more extreme, a frame built bumper from someone like EVO or Metalcloak, which are going to offer the most amount of clearance.

I did not order my JLUR with the steel bumper group. I knew I was going to replace the rear bumper because of what people were experiencing, but was unsure of which route to go in the front. As a $1300 option, I knew I wouldn't be able to recoup that when it came time to sell off one or both. I've seen the rear steel bumper go for as little as $200 on CL and then you're spending an $400-$1500 on a aftermarket rear. I know I can piece together a front factory steel bumper without the end caps for somewhere around $600-$700 which is in line with a lot of aftermarket front bumpers. And since the Rubicon comes with a decent looking front plastic bumper, if I decide on the factory steel or another aftermarket one , I'm not really out any additional cash. In reality, I'll probably spend around $1300 on a front and rear bumper that I like and will fit my needs. But if you're lucky, you'll be able to get top dollar for the factory steels and have to spend very little out of pocket.

This is all assuming you're concerned about the parts you get. If you sell off the factory steel bumper group and find a lower priced bumper from somewhere like Extreme Terrain, you might be actually be money ahead. It really just depends on what you like.

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you really have to look at your intended use, or the look youre going for... and your comfort level with diminished front protection.
stubby looks cool as balls, but you lose literally 30+% of bumper area (which actually matches the steel in the factory plastic bumper...only steel between the frame rails).
an aftermarket full width gives you full protection from wheel to wheel but doesnt look as cool. (good if its mainly used on road and you worry about the idiots out there who got their drivers licenses as the prize in the big box of Cracker Jacks)
mid is a compromise of the two.
then theres the metal choice: full width steel (about 100lbs added over the plastic), aluminum(same weight as the plastic bumper but much more protection but also much more expensive), and the aluminum/steel hybrids that come in about 30lbs more than the plastic but are cheap to buy and maybe less quality)

Sponsored

OP
OP
unconfirmed

unconfirmed

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Soon)
The daily drivers, mall crawlers, suburbanite dad rigs, overland builds tend to either go with a full width or mid. (Not making fun of, just trying to paint a picture)
Dang, dude, you're a word-artiste! You just nailed your description of what Jeep-me will most likely resemble. lol

Some do go with a stubby but almost everyone who knows they're going to get into technical obstacles and throw 37"+ tires go with a stubby or even more extreme, a frame built bumper from someone like EVO or Metalcloak, which are going to offer the most amount of clearance.

I did not order my JLUR with the steel bumper group. I knew I was going to replace the rear bumper because of what people were experiencing, but was unsure of which route to go in the front. As a $1300 option, I knew I wouldn't be able to recoup that when it came time to sell off one or both. I've seen the rear steel bumper go for as little as $200 on CL and then you're spending an $400-$1500 on a aftermarket rear. I know I can piece together a front factory steel bumper without the end caps for somewhere around $600-$700 which is in line with a lot of aftermarket front bumpers. And since the Rubicon comes with a decent looking front plastic bumper, if I decide on the factory steel or another aftermarket one , I'm not really out any additional cash. In reality, I'll probably spend around $1300 on a front and rear bumper that I like and will fit my needs. But if you're lucky, you'll be able to get top dollar for the factory steels and have to spend very little out of pocket.

This is all assuming you're concerned about the parts you get. If you sell off the factory steel bumper group and find a lower priced bumper from somewhere like Extreme Terrain, you might be actually be money ahead. It really just depends on what you like.
Thanks for this. That's good info.

you really have to look at your intended use, or the look youre going for... and your comfort level with diminished front protection.
stubby looks cool as balls, but you lose literally 30+% of bumper area (which actually matches the steel in the factory plastic bumper...only steel between the frame rails).
The diminished protection factor is what I'm trying to quantify. Since I'll be driving this as my daily, and 90% of my time in it will be on-road, I don't want to make a fashion choice that's going to totally screw me in an accident.

For example, let's say I go with a stubby, which leaves the front tires totally exposed. Is a collision going to be much more likely to result in frame-bending catastrophic damage that a full or mid would have make highly unlikely?

(good if its mainly used on road and you worry about the idiots out there who got their drivers licenses as the prize in the big box of Cracker Jacks)
Literally half of my town is in another state, and this summarizes their driving skills/standards perfectly, but it's from knock-off Cracker Jacks, not the real thing.

Thank you both for the intel. It's really helpful.

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
@spurly what is a suburbanite dad rig???

@unconfirmed you also need to consider a winch. Will you be adding one? Most bumpers are made to accommodate one and look kind of goofy without. IMO the factory steel bumper looks the best without a winch. Also, if adding a winch, do you want it recessed or sitting on top of the bumper.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Literally half of my town is in another state, and this summarizes their driving skills/standards perfectly, but it's from knock-off Cracker Jacks, not the real thing.

Thank you both for the intel. It's really helpful.
You must live in Texarkana. I know what you mean...

Sponsored

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DEPENDING ON THE HIT, a full width could be the difference between a total/injuries or not... or it might not make a difference.
i live on long island, so basically everything here is a mall crawler (the biggest rock we have to climb is one of those concrete slab things at the front of the parking spot at the strip mall) unless you drive like 100 miles.
i drive the beach for fishing, but that isnt very technical.
i do, however, expect to go west sooner rather than later and i keep my vehicles an avg of 15 years, so i set it up accordingly....
full width to give protection from the idiots who drive around me here
i paid up for aluminum (full, not the aluminum/steel hybrid) to keep the weight down and i dont expect to ever be grinding on rocks.
and i got a winch for the beach now/driving out west in the future

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase

The factory front steel is one of the best looking, in my opinion but may not be the strongest out there. With the end caps off the factory front steel bumper, it would probably fall more in line with a mid with bumper. An aftermarket full width bumper is heavy. All aftermarket bumpers are usually made of 3/16 or 1/4 steel, so a full width can easily add upwards of 100 pounds alone to the front. Then add a winch on top of that and you're 150 pounds on the nose.

To have been drunk at an airport, your spelling & grammar were impeccable. One teeny typo, but who's checking?
You even used the proper form of "it's." Have another! :beer:

Sinningdf

First Name
Sinning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
Good evening!

I'm trying to decide what bumper to get for a new JLUR order.

I've looked through a bunch of the Aftermarket Bumper Thread above in the stickies, and while it's full of great info on available options, there really isn't much in the way of picking the right bumper style for what you want to do. The array of available options is a little overwhelming.

I was leaning toward the mopar Steel Bumper Group, but came across several people saying it's not that great, particularly on the rear, and to save that money and get something else after-market.

Can someone explain the pros/cons of the different styles (full width, mid-width, stubby, etc) and how to choose the best one for you, or whether I should just stick with the factory steel bumper.

I'm planning to stick with the factory 33" tires for now.

My typical usage scenario:

My Jeep will be mostly a daily driver, with some occasional mild to moderate off-roading, at least initially. Not planning for doing serious rock crawling or adventure racing sort of stuff (at least right now...).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
unconfirmed.
My 2018 Sahara JL with Westin Full width with LED fog light ...

15632353243903711348502030256410.jpg

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

My plastic oem bumper does not seem like it would stop much at the corners, or in the center for that matter.

I now have a steel stubby. Could drive through a brick wall with this sucker.

JLBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL-Sport
Occupation
GWOT Life
DEPENDING ON THE HIT, a full width could be the difference between a total/injuries or not... or it might not make a difference.
i live on long island, so basically everything here is a mall crawler (the biggest rock we have to climb is one of those concrete slab things at the front of the parking spot at the strip mall) unless you drive like 100 miles.
i drive the beach for fishing, but that isnt very technical.
i do, however, expect to go west sooner rather than later and i keep my vehicles an avg of 15 years, so i set it up accordingly....
full width to give protection from the idiots who drive around me here
i paid up for aluminum (full, not the aluminum/steel hybrid) to keep the weight down and i dont expect to ever be grinding on rocks.
and i got a winch for the beach now/driving out west in the future
What bumper and winch combo do you have? Love the look and might consider getting it as well.
Sponsored