Sponsored

Help me pick a bumper

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
Check out the mopar steel bumper. You get full or stubby options and it has a ton of aftermarket add ons made by mopar and other mfg’s. This would be the way I would go if I were to do it over.

E776DE67-6F5D-427D-A4B2-444DE9D62945.jpeg
That is nice, but then you have to buy a winch plate, a fairlead and a few other screws-480.00 bucks-plus
Sponsored

RDakota

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
That's funny my JK had it too, but it may have rusted but it was solid and never had a dent, but that was awhile ago and I had to try them again-and trust me I put the poor thing to use and it told me to shutup and hold its beer and handled very well-so that being said I had one on the 2019 Sport/s JLU and then when I bought my 2021 JLUR I put one on that too. No issues
Did you install a winch before you installed the bumper or after? I was thinking about the bumper first and a winch a little later.

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
Did you install a winch before you installed the bumper or after? I was thinking about the bumper first and a winch a little later.
You could honestly do that, but I had the funds so I did it all at once besides my jeep stays off-road every weekend so I almost had too, but there's nothing to waiting get the bumper first then add winch later, just one piece of advice research your winch-the last couple of years everyone started going to the warn winch it's expensive and had quite a few issues. Ask around- yes I did the warn at first and then went to smittybilt and it's wireless which comes in handy-I wheel alone sometimes and that's just a piece of security.

RDakota

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
You could honestly do that, but I had the funds so I did it all at once besides my jeep stays off-road every weekend so I almost had too, but there's nothing to waiting get the bumper first and add winch later, just one piece of advice research your winch-the last couple of years everyone started going to the warn winch it's expensive and had quite a few issues. Ask around- yes I did the warn at first and then went to smittybilt and it's wireless which comes in handy-I wheel alone sometimes and that's just a piece of security.
Thanks. I wasn’t looking at warn just for the price. Smittybilt or badlands or quadratec are the ones I’m looking at.

OP
OP

TeeGeeThree

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4XE 2021
Great this is very helpful. Have you felt like a skid plate would be good to pair with this bumper? I know YMMV but just curious your opinion.

Sponsored

RDakota

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Great this is very helpful. Have you felt like a skid plate would be good to pair with this bumper? I know YMMV but just curious your opinion.
Sorry, I think I may have hijacked your thread a little. It's just i have been looking for the same type of bumper and couldn't resist jumping in and asking a couple of questions.

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
My one comment here is pay attention to weight. 65lbs bumper, 90lbs winch, 10lbs of lights, 10lbs of shackles...and you have hung 175lbs of weight out over your front end. This will create just over 1/2 and inch of sag, but also it changes your ride. In a 3/4 ton pickup with a giant heavy diesel engine, and spring rates nearly triple your jeep a couple hundred pounds of weight on the front impacts very little. On a Jeep with very limited load capacity and axles already approaching their GAWR it means a lot. Most folks just solve this with a 1/2 or 1 inch spacer and call it good, but that does not address the impact on dynamic spring compression/rebound and on shock valving needs, nor does it address stress on suspension parts as the axle approaches or exceeds its GAWR. Is it a huge deal? No, it is not, but in a Jeep every pound counts. The question is, do you want to spend that pound on a steel bumper? For some the answer is absolutely and there is nothing wrong with that, if it is a logical and reasoned decision made understanding the trade offs.

my 2 cents.

OP
OP

TeeGeeThree

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My one comment here is pay attention to weight. 65lbs bumper, 90lbs winch, 10lbs of lights, 10lbs of shackles...and you have hung 175lbs of weight out over your front end. This will create just over 1/2 and inch of sag, but also it changes your ride. In a 3/4 ton pickup with a giant heavy diesel engine, and spring rates nearly triple your jeep a couple hundred pounds of weight on the front impacts very little. On a Jeep with very limited load capacity and axles already approaching their GAWR it means a lot. Most folks just solve this with a 1/2 or 1 inch spacer and call it good, but that does not address the impact on dynamic spring compression/rebound and on shock valving needs, nor does it address stress on suspension parts as the axle approaches or exceeds its GAWR. Is it a huge deal? No, it is not, but in a Jeep every pound counts. The question is, do you want to spend that pound on a steel bumper? For some the answer is absolutely and there is nothing wrong with that, if it is a logical and reasoned decision made understanding the trade offs.

my 2 cents.
Yes, good point, especially regarding the skid plate. If I just keep it this bumper we’ve been talking about, and a 10k winch with synthetic, that’s about as light as I can right, and still do the job?

While we’re on this - I’ve been hoping that since this a 4XE (ie heavier and comes with stronger springs I think) that weight sag would be a little less of a relative issue…?

RDakota

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD

my 2 cents.
For me I would be looking at a total of 125 to 130 total pounds on the front. I know the steel Mopar is about 85 without the hoop. so maybe 90-95 for a stock steel without a winch. I have a JLURD so I have the heaviest springs available. I’m hoping I’ll be ok.

OP
OP

TeeGeeThree

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let me add one more wrinkle to this: any suggestions for bumpers that feature a recessed winch? For looks and corrosion / dirt resistance.

Sponsored

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
From reading your OP I realize that the front end is your main concern. Once you get that situated, I would strongly suggest you address the back as well (a new thread so as not to hijack this one).

There are threads addressing the issue of coming down on your rear bumper and having it flex up into the tub, causing damage. There are also vids showing this weakness.

I know you said "... no major rock crawling. But I do encounter obstacles, even on my own property - fallen logs..." I suspect that if you drop the back end on a log after going over it, this could cause damage as well.

Today I am installing a @Metalcloak rear bumper for this very reason. Hopefully I didn't cause any damage to my body already. I will check once the old one is off in a few hours. GL on your mods!

RDakota

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I too would be interested in a skid plate for this bumper. From the questions on the ET website there isn’t one available. Shouldn’t one be needed? Thanks

WannFly

First Name
Priyo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4Xe - ordered, 2019 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber security

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Rough Country #10596 here.

I picked it as I could re-use my OEM LED foglights and it has an integrated LED light bar in the structure. Mounting a winch & fairlead in this bumper presented no issues.

Jeep Wrangler JL Help me pick a bumper Lower Guard 04

Jeep Wrangler JL Help me pick a bumper 07
Sponsored