Help me pick a bumper

TeeGeeThree

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4XE 2021
Continuing this from another thread. I'm outfitting my 2021 4XE Sahara to do some moderate off-roading and overland camping. First I got Rubicon K02 takeoffs. Now I'm looking at a winch, which means getting rid of my factory plastic bumper and finding a new one. Here's what (I think) I'm looking for:

- Full size
- lightweight (I'd love to eliminate or minimize any sag)
- easy to install
- easyy to install with a winch
- can accept my stock fog lights
- not crazy expensive, but I can accept paying for quality

The whole purpose of this is to get the winch on there. I'll be using this mainly in the northeast so no major rock crawling. But I do encounter obstacles, even on my own property - fallen logs, saplings grown up in the trail - so I can imagine having a sturdy bumper to use as a ram would be nice. But the main goal is to get a winch on there.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
You may consider an ARB Bumper. Not aluminum but also wouldn’t consider it heavy weight. More OEM quality. It should accept your fogs and includes a winch plate

I put on their Biondi Deluxe and was pleased how complete the kit was. It requires Rubicon flares though.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/front-bumpers/3450440-arb-classic-deluxe-front-bumper

Edit: I would imagine all front bumpers install about the same. I found it helpful to balance it on a floor jack with my wife holding it to line up the holes. You’ll need a friend or your own wife to help though.

There are L-brackets from the factory that reinforce the bumper to frame connection. The inside ones are a real pain to get a socket on once the winch plate goes in but it can be done. I had the first bumper and winch installed at 4WP and they left them out completely. They also routed the hot cable in a way as to be a fire hazard. They’ve earned vendor of last resort stays from me.

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Continuing this from another thread. I'm outfitting my 2021 4XE Sahara to do some moderate off-roading and overland camping. First I got Rubicon K02 takeoffs. Now I'm looking at a winch, which means getting rid of my factory plastic bumper and finding a new one. Here's what (I think) I'm looking for:

- Full size
- lightweight (I'd love to eliminate or minimize any sag)
- easy to install
- easyy to install with a winch
- can accept my stock fog lights
- not crazy expensive, but I can accept paying for quality

The whole purpose of this is to get the winch on there. I'll be using this mainly in the northeast so no major rock crawling. But I do encounter obstacles, even on my own property - fallen logs, saplings grown up in the trail - so I can imagine having a sturdy bumper to use as a ram would be nice. But the main goal is to get a winch on there.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Where I in the market for a front bumper at the moment I would almost certainly choose from this list (not in any particular order):

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
Well here's a suggestion- Barricade HD bumper with smittybilt 10k winch with synthetic rope fits factory fog lights- and with this bumper you can add lights to wit I added KC lights I'm a traditionalist don't care for the light bar they are too noisy, easy install literally took 2 1/2 hours by myself. Ordered it from Extremeterrain, excellant service and delivery.

Jeep Wrangler JL Help me pick a bumper 20220108_114224 (1)

OP
OP

TeeGeeThree

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for these suggestions. The Rival seems about right for me. I wrote them to see if I could install my factory fog lights...

Sponsored

OP
OP

TeeGeeThree

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well here's a suggestion- Barricade HD bumper with smittybilt 10k winch with synthetic rope fits factory fog lights- and with this bumper you can add lights to wit I added KC lights I'm a traditionalist don't care for the light bar they are too noisy, easy install literally took 2 1/2 hours by myself. Ordered it from Extremeterrain, excellant service and delivery.

Jeep Wrangler JL Help me pick a bumper 20220108_114224 (1)
Wow, this price is right on that bumper! If I may ask, any idea why it so inexpeinsive compared to others? I could see doing exactly what you have all around.

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
Wow, this price is right on that bumper! If I may ask, any idea why it so inexpeinsive compared to others? I could see doing exactly what you have all around.
Not sure why, but I believe that the price is short because there's no skid plate-but it works fine and I've hit a few rocks-of course by mistake. lol

OP
OP

TeeGeeThree

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure why, but I believe that the price is short because there's no skid plate-but it works fine and I've hit a few rocks-of course by mistake. lol
Does that come ready to install a winch on it, or do I need to buy a separate winch plate? What else did you need for the install other than this bumper and the winch? Finally, how difficult was it to move the fog lights into this?

thanks for your help!

RDakota

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
This is the one that I’ve been looking at. Looking for lightweight, full protection and winch capable. I’ve seen both good and not so good reviews so I’m still reviewing it.

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
Does that come ready to install a winch on it, or do I need to buy a separate winch plate? What else did you need for the install other than this bumper and the winch? Finally, how difficult was it to move the fog lights into this?

thanks for your help!
So it was actually simple the bumper comes ready for a winch and its already setup for it, when you order your bumper you can check to see if it will fit this bumper and it does and it comes. As for the factory fog lights they transferred right to the bumper, yet I did add some other screws instead of the ones they shipped with it. It was not difficult- to be honest it was harder to take the factory bumper off and that took the most time. Yet I did it by myself in about two-two and half hours and that was because of beer breaks. LOL Also if you talk to the guys at Extremeterrain where I purchased it they'll help you out. One last thing the instructions are bang on if you have no mechanical ability. Hope that helps

Sponsored

RDakota

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
So it was actually simple the bumper comes ready for a winch and its already setup for it, when you order your bumper you can check to see if it will fit this bumper and it does and it comes. As for the factory fog lights they transferred right to the bumper, yet I did add some other screws instead of the ones they shipped with it. It was not difficult- to be honest it was harder to take the factory bumper off and that took the most time. Yet I did it by myself in about two-two and half hours and that was because of beer breaks. LOL Also if you talk to the guys at Extremeterrain where I purchased it they'll help you out. One last thing the instructions are bang on if you have no mechanical ability. Hope that helps
How has it held up so far? Any issues after installation? I’ve seen the weight listed at about 61 pounds, is that about right?

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
How has it held up so far? Any issues after installation? I’ve seen the weight listed at about 61 pounds, is that about right?
it's held up real good, have bashed it a lot-had it on my 2019 sport S JLU and it was so good that I installed one on my 2021 JLUR.

Jeep Wrangler JL Help me pick a bumper 20210314_104919

Jeep Wrangler JL Help me pick a bumper 20220108_114937 (1)

Morris4x4

First Name
Morris 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.morris4x4center.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, '13 JK
I had a barricade back in the day and it rusted badly on my JK. This was years ago all while living in the rust belt. I got it covered under warranty but full transparency on my experience.

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
I had a barricade back in the day and it rusted badly on my JK. This was years ago all while living in the rust belt. I got it covered under warranty but full transparency on my experience.
That's funny my JK had it too, but it may have rusted but it was solid and never had a dent, but that was awhile ago and I had to try them again-and trust me I put the poor thing to use and it told me to shutup and hold its beer and handled very well-so that being said I had one on the 2019 Sport/s JLU and then when I bought my 2021 JLUR I put one on that too. No issues

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Check out the mopar steel bumper. You get full or stubby options and it has a ton of aftermarket add ons made by mopar and other mfg’s. This would be the way I would go if I were to do it over.

E776DE67-6F5D-427D-A4B2-444DE9D62945.jpeg
Sponsored