Headliners - Are they worth it?

lsufan

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I installed the hotheads mainly to help reduce the summer heat, nice quality product but I honestly don't believe it helped reduce the interior noise. My wife drives the Jeep so I could easily be wrong on the reduced noise aspect.
One thing to look at that I just realized while looking at some of the hardtop removers is that some raise the top from the interior and I don't believe a headliner will hold up to that style of lifting system. I realized this from a previous thread regarding the rollnjack hardtop remover.
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
...do you think they're worth investing in?
Given that you sight noise abatement as your primary motivation for them, I'll answer with a hard no.

Headliners are best at temperature control, and within that realm, heat reduction over (cold weather) retention.

Sure, they might help a bit with road noise but it is not their forte. Buying a product with your expectations, particular on a leased model, I think, will be a recipe for your disappointment.

RastaPasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I installed my Hotheads a couple weeks ago, so far I'm very happy with them. They definitely don't turn the interior down to a luxury car level, but it definitely takes the edge off of the wind noise. I think it also makes the interior feel a bit more complete as well. So far, zero complaints. I'm also adding some sound deadening to the floors in a couple weeks, which should help out a bit as well.

Engmoreau

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLRU
Just took my first real drive since making and installing a set of DIY headliners. Both my wife and I agree it helped cut down the noise. I only created them for the front.

I followed a YouTube video but changed the material and doubled the thickness of insulation.

IMG_20200413_140707.jpg
How much fabric did you buy? Thinking about doing this during the lockdown so I have to order online.

what type of insulation panels did you buy?

Sponsored

Pingbling23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 3.6 eTorque
I drove a 2012 Charger. Super comfortable so I'm totally aware it won't be what I'm used to... I was definitely expecting the rougher ride but I was a little surprised at the additional noise, mainly on the freeway. Felt like had to have the music 5X louder and/or be yelling at the person I was driving with lol!
Thanks for your POV- so far it's seeming like it wouldn't be enough of a difference in the short term.
Shouldn’t be that bad. Top off with the windows up at interstate speeds you should be able to hold a conversation without much strain.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I had the chance to drive two identical JL's, one with factory headliner and one without prior to ordering mine and they do make a difference in noise level-especially noises that are reflected off the underside of the hardtop and bounced around the cabin. Both of these were 4-door Rubi's (they only had a couple of 2-doors and none had headliners) but I heard enough of a difference to order them for my JLR and if I were ordering another one, I would absolutely order again. That said, adding them after taking delivery on a lease would be hard to justify...

Last edited:

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

PDXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I was going to order headliners until I measured the temps of a couple of JLs at the dealer.They had 2 identical. One with headliner. Both red wranglers with black interiors. The temps were the exact same with and without headliners.
Interesting! I'm definitely leaning towards no..

Sponsored

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
How much fabric did you buy? Thinking about doing this during the lockdown so I have to order online.

what type of insulation panels did you buy?

This is the fabric I got, 2 yards as it was required. They had a 20 percent off coupon I found too.

https://www.joann.com/headliner-utility-fabric-55-black/3496072.html

I used 1/2" foam insulation board from home depot. I started out with one layer of 1/2", wrapped it and didn't think it was thick enough. Since it was already wrapped I just added another layer of foam and then wrapped again.

1" with one layer of headliner material would probably be better than 2 half inch layers both covered. The front clasp for the headline slightly depresses the headliner

I have enough material to do at least the rear passenger area. Possibly the cargo area. But I would need to remove the top to measure and cut.

Concrete King

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The factory solution is attached to the roof by Velcro. Mine keep falling.

pcpopcorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Firecracker Red
Hi Ya'll! I just leased my first Wrangler and I'm in :involve:. It's a 2020 Sahara Unlimited. The only thing I'm having a tough time adjusting to is the level of road noise...

Throwing it out to the group on whether or not adding a headliner to the hard top is worth it. I've seen posts where people say they wouldn't live with out them and a few that say they don't even make a difference. Surprisingly, my Sahara did not come with them (and I didn't even know what this was until one of my friends mentioned his Rubicon came with it).

The dealership said they could add them for $650 which is way too much. I've also done some research online and in these forums and it seems that the Mopar ones aren't that great anyway. Seems like the Hothead headliners are the resounding winner. These are $389 which is still a pretty penny... especially when leasing as I am.

My question to all of you is- being that I'll probably only have the car 4 years (lease term), do you think they're worth investing in? It's nearly $400 and I would hate to spend that amount of money if the difference was barely noticeable. Something else on my mind is the fact that the weather is very mild right now, so I'm also wondering if I'll wish I had them come winter.

TIA! :)
Yes!
I have the Factory headliner option for my 2 Door Rubicon Hardtop.
We put in a Bestop Sunrider and it is amazing how much road noise you hear sitting at a light with the engine off.
We love the Sunrider but it is considerably louder.

Johnczar4

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2029 Wrangler Sport S
In northern NJ. No issue in the cold without a headliner. When driving mostly radio on or Windows open or both so noise not a concern. If on the phone Bluetooth just turn the volume up when on the highway.
Enjoy

SeanD

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2013 Acura RDX
Vehicle Showcase
Count me in the Hothead Headliner fan camp. I added the sound assassin strips and do notice both better temp regulation and slightly less road noise, as well as the more finished look. It’s not transformational however. It’s a Wrangler...it will be noisier than anything else! I also run a Sunrider in the warmer months and that also is noisier than the Freedom Tops (but is still an awesome mod!).

That said, I wouldn’t add the headliner on a lease, unless you have $ to burn.
Sponsored