Sponsored

Headliners - Are they worth it?

PDXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Hi Ya'll! I just leased my first Wrangler and I'm in :involve:. It's a 2020 Sahara Unlimited. The only thing I'm having a tough time adjusting to is the level of road noise...

Throwing it out to the group on whether or not adding a headliner to the hard top is worth it. I've seen posts where people say they wouldn't live with out them and a few that say they don't even make a difference. Surprisingly, my Sahara did not come with them (and I didn't even know what this was until one of my friends mentioned his Rubicon came with it).

The dealership said they could add them for $650 which is way too much. I've also done some research online and in these forums and it seems that the Mopar ones aren't that great anyway. Seems like the Hothead headliners are the resounding winner. These are $389 which is still a pretty penny... especially when leasing as I am.

My question to all of you is- being that I'll probably only have the car 4 years (lease term), do you think they're worth investing in? It's nearly $400 and I would hate to spend that amount of money if the difference was barely noticeable. Something else on my mind is the fact that the weather is very mild right now, so I'm also wondering if I'll wish I had them come winter.

TIA! :)
Sponsored

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
Ffor road noise i would look into adding the extra weather striping on the doors. They can be had on Amazon for around $20 and made more improvement with noise than the headliners. The heat is where the headliners shine but that doesn't sound like your issue.

MikeJLURubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Medicolegal Death Investigator
Ffor road noise i would look into adding the extra weather striping on the doors. They can be had on Amazon for around $20 and made more improvement with noise than the headliners. The heat is where the headliners shine but that doesn't sound like your issue.
Do you have any photos of adding the weather stripping to the doors?

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
Do you have any photos of adding the weather stripping to the doors?
i'll try to take one when i get home but my jeep is black so its hard to see. i think other members have posted how and where to put it as well as the amazon link.

Sponsored

MikeJLURubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Medicolegal Death Investigator
i'll try to take one when i get home but my jeep is black so its hard to see. i think other members have posted how and where to put it as well as the amazon link.
Appreciate it

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Hi Ya'll! I just leased my first Wrangler and I'm in :involve:. It's a 2020 Sahara Unlimited. The only thing I'm having a tough time adjusting to is the level of road noise...

Throwing it out to the group on whether or not adding a headliner to the hard top is worth it. I've seen posts where people say they wouldn't live with out them and a few that say they don't even make a difference. Surprisingly, my Sahara did not come with them (and I didn't even know what this was until one of my friends mentioned his Rubicon came with it).

The dealership said they could add them for $650 which is way too much. I've also done some research online and in these forums and it seems that the Mopar ones aren't that great anyway. Seems like the Hothead headliners are the resounding winner. These are $389 which is still a pretty penny... especially when leasing as I am.

My question to all of you is- being that I'll probably only have the car 4 years (lease term), do you think they're worth investing in? It's nearly $400 and I would hate to spend that amount of money if the difference was barely noticeable. Something else on my mind is the fact that the weather is very mild right now, so I'm also wondering if I'll wish I had them come winter.

TIA! :)
Sorry if you said this but what did you used to drive? What are your expectations? I think headliners help but it's always going to be louder than a modern crossover. If you're looking to get close to a modern crossover, I would say that you're going to be disappointed so save your money.

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Just took my first real drive since making and installing a set of DIY headliners. Both my wife and I agree it helped cut down the noise. I only created them for the front.

I followed a YouTube video but changed the material and doubled the thickness of insulation.

IMG_20200413_140707.jpg

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I was going to order headliners until I measured the temps of a couple of JLs at the dealer.They had 2 identical. One with headliner. Both red wranglers with black interiors. The temps were the exact same with and without headliners.

OP
OP

PDXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IMO no they're not worth it. Especially if your concern is road noise. IMO they won't make much difference (but also IMO the new Jeeps are super quiet so I'm probably not the best to give you any info). With all that said; where I think headliners really shine is keeping the heat off of you head. You can definitely notice in a hard top when the sun in shining, especially if you're moving slowly like on a trail. I don't notice the same issue at all in the cold. So I'd say wait until the heat of summer before you decide. In my old TJ I found that having a spiderweb shade blocked the heat when the top was on. So maybe one of those will be a cheaper option for you that is just as effective and also give you the shade when the top is off. The shades are also easily removable if you want to move it to your next Jeep in 4 years, or sell the shade to recoup a bit of money.
Thanks! Good to hear that. I live in OR so the weather is pretty mild... it only gets hot 1 or 2 months out of the year so not as worried about the heat as I'd be the noise or cold.

OP
OP

PDXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm definitely going to look into this. $20 is much more my speed lol. Is there a particular brand you'd recommend? I saw someone posted these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0771T61VH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would also be great to see what they look like on yours! Thanks!!

OP
OP

PDXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry if you said this but what did you used to drive? What are your expectations? I think headliners help but it's always going to be louder than a modern crossover. If you're looking to get close to a modern crossover, I would say that you're going to be disappointed so save your money.
I drove a 2012 Charger. Super comfortable so I'm totally aware it won't be what I'm used to... I was definitely expecting the rougher ride but I was a little surprised at the additional noise, mainly on the freeway. Felt like had to have the music 5X louder and be yelling at the person I was driving with lol!
Thanks for your POV- so far it's seeming like it wouldn't be enough of a difference in the short term.

Last edited:

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
I drove a 2012 Charger. Super comfortable so I'm totally aware it won't be what I'm used to... I was definitely expecting the rougher ride but I was a little surprised at the additional noise, mainly on the freeway. Felt like had to have the music 5X louder and/or be yelling at the person I was driving with lol!
Thanks for your POV- so far it's seeming like it wouldn't be enough of a difference in the short term.
Yeah...if I were you, I'd just save the money. My Wrangler is LOUD AS F*CK compared to something like my wife's BMW X7 (which is vault quiet). A quiet cruiser the Wrangler is not, but the Wrangler has its own charm and character to be enjoyed.
Sponsored