Sponsored

Headliner gone with the wind

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JLU)
Driving with the doors off down the highway about 55-60mph and I heard a loud thunk. Get to the gas station to give everything a glance and I noticed my driver side rear hot head headliner is missing. Anyone ever had one fly off going town the road? Doors were off, roof was on.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
Just a guess, but since the doors were off, I would think that’s likely where it escaped. Maybe I miss-interpreted what was being said?

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
i have seen a lot of people run with with doors off panel off and open the back glass of the hard top

Sponsored

OP
OP
ImAJeepskate

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JLU)
Just a guess, but since the doors were off, I would think that’s likely where it escaped. Maybe I miss-interpreted what was being said?
You are understanding correctly. The headliner fell off of my hardtop and then woosh out the door.

i have seen a lot of people run with with doors off panel off and open the back glass of the hard top
I have been running full hardtop and rear window with no doors for 1000s of miles and it is just fine, except loosing headliner parts.

OldGuyJL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Driving with the doors off down the highway about 55-60mph and I heard a loud thunk. Get to the gas station to give everything a glance and I noticed my driver side rear hot head headliner is missing. Anyone ever had one fly off going town the road? Doors were off, roof was on.
Sounds like the 3m tape didn't adhere? Did you put it on in cold weather? Noticed that you are in MN....

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
As a Sky One owner I can say from experience that this is possible. You get a crazy vortex in the cargo area with that back window still in. I was doorless with roof open last summer, we were going food shopping and had those reusable shopping bags in the back. In a flash some were blown out on the highway and some even came forward by the dashboard too. Looked like my wife was playing Whack-A-Mole trying to secure those bags in the one second before they blow out. (funny as s**t) Because of this I now keep a variety pack of those stretchable colored straps in the cargo holding area.

Sponsored

Ma$$iveDebtAche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have seen many post online about headliners for JK(U)/JL(U)'s falling or drooping, but this is the first I read of one flying off.

Having worked many years using 3M tapes (mainly VHB), I would never count on it as a permanent bond. In my line of work, It was used to temporarily hold; until an adhesive set up. I don't have a headliner, though.

tasteless garbage

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon unlimited
who in their right mind runs their rig in Minn in March with no doors on???? My momma never raised such a fool!!!!

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

if your headliner is "gone with the wind" then frankly i just dont give a damn
Sponsored