Sponsored

Where Have the Wrecked Jeeps Gone?

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The vehicles, in my experience, will most likely be shredded at a local scrap yard. With so many different materials going to in modern vehicles they can't easily recycle the material in the middle of nowhere. That's what they've always told us at work and from what I've witnessed.
It's bad enough imagining shredding up a few hundred jeeps and burying the remains indiscriminately. Imagine if they did that with a train full of electric cars, lol. I hope they take the time and spend the money to do their job properly.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
The RR doesn't have an insurance company. We're completely self insured. If something happens, it comes directly out of our check book. So the RR may be able to dictate what exactly happens to them.
Thanks Spurly, I didn't realize the RR had such a high limit on their self-insurance - $35 Million. Although a lot of Jeeps (and other trucks and SUVs) were totaled, I doubt the value was near $35M. And yup, since they are in essence the insurer, they get to dictate within the terms of their contract with FCA, what happens to them. I've heard of other vehicle Mfr's having a transport contract clause that requires their representative be present at crushing or shredding, just to ensure no parts end up being sold off later. (not to say someone at Walker couldn't have pulled a "loose" part off when they transported them...)

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Thanks Spurly, I didn't realize the RR had such a high limit on their self-insurance - $35 Million. Although a lot of Jeeps (and other trucks and SUVs) were totaled, I doubt the value was near $35M. And yup, since they are in essence the insurer, they get to dictate within the terms of their contract with FCA, what happens to them. I've heard of other vehicle Mfr's having a transport contract clause that requires their representative be present at crushing or shredding, just to ensure no parts end up being sold off later. (not to say someone at Walker couldn't have pulled a "loose" part off when they transported them...)
Unfortunately because we are self insured, derailments and natural disasters have a direct impact on my teams. If the cost for the incidents exceeds their projections, they have to take money from somewhere, so it's my teams that end up getting laid off. And since we're on the engineering side where we spend the money not make it, we're the first to go till the new year starts up.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Unfortunately because we are self insured, derailments and natural disasters have a direct impact on my teams. If the cost for the incidents exceeds their projections, they have to take money from somewhere, so it's my teams that end up getting laid off. And since we're on the engineering side where we spend the money not make it, we're the first to go till the new year starts up.
Ouch:crying: Hopefully, that doesn't happen:like:

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Sounds like a Peter, Paul and Mary song ...

Where have all the wrecked Jeeps gone?
Gone to graveyards every one.

Sorry for the intrusion, back to seriousness now.
That damn song has been stuck in my head for days now, must try to maintain sanity.

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
A few years back, we were railheading our Avenger weapons systems across country for a training event (using civilian RR). They are a HMMWV-mounted air defense weapons system, and cost a ton of money. Usually we only had to worry about local yokels shooting up the vehicles as the train rolled through their backyards. This time, however...two rail cars flipped over - two Avengers per flat car. Two were totally destroyed. Shit happens.

OP
OP

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
Sorry to hear that...

OP
OP

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From a towcar company who recovered many of the Jeeps...
All those vehicles were taken to RR Yard while the incident is being investigated - still under RR control. And they are not expecting to be released to any salvage yard in the near future - if at all. Apparently it was quite a sight seeing so many wrecked, new, vehicles in one place (the RR yard).
They said that many of the Jeeps still ran and were driveable.

Ain't going to happen, but sure wish I had a picture of my Jeep in all that carnage...for a souvenir, since this isn't a regular thing...

(and yes, I'm bored waiting for my '20 to get done and sent out)

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Not sure the details, but I've seen plenty of vehicles on CoPart that were being auctioned off w/ a "certificate of destruction" status, or whatever. When I googled it, it basically said the vehicles might be fine but were involved in an incident and can't be sold for salvage or get a rebuilt Title. Does anyone have any info on this? Is it likely that this would happen with the affected vehicles? I'm just curious as I don't know how vehicles get to CoPart and get auctioned under that status... and I worked in Insurance (for a little while, at least).

I do know WHY vehicles get auctioned like that- I remember hearing a story a few years back where someone got in trouble for buying a vehicle like that, had a PO Box in a neighboring state, and another or connection in another state. The person registered the vehicle in the second state w/ the PO Box, then "sold" it to someone in the third state to get the "Salvage" Title. Rebuilt it and shipped it back here to try to trade in as used. Supposedly this used to happen a lot before detailed records were kept and easily searchable.

Still, I'll echo the same sentiment- It seems like a waste. I always wondered how Auto Part yards weren't more wide spread and profitable. Buy some of those vehicles, tear them down, , scrap the damaged parts, catalog the good parts, sell them via the internet or to body shops. Seems like a no brainer and it would ultimately reduce the amount of waste because it would keep 2 vehicles from being crushed and turned into soda cans. I could be wrong though... I was never spectacular at math. :CWL:
Sponsored