Sponsored

Hardtop VS premium soft top

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a premium soft top person. But I live in southern Louisiana, so winter isn't exactly a concern for me. I will say that I was in a head on collision with an unlicensed driver, who obviously had no place driving & the soft top is was allowed me to get myself, my husband, and my 7 year old out of the jeep. (I always carry a pocket knife which helped that out after flipping end over end & rolling into the ditch.)
That had to be pretty scary; Glad you and your family are Ok. :)
Sponsored

kacper244

First Name
Kacper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2016 VW Jetta, 1993 Wrangler YJ (Sold)
Anyone have a picture of a white Sport S with the premium soft top from the back?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I think it really depends. For me it is an obvious decision:

- I live in the South with moderate weather
- I love convertibles and like to have the top down as much as possible whenever I want
- I have a garage

I would never consider a hard top. If the Jeep wasn't a convertible, I would just get something else. We just had three days well below freezing with snow. Then 3 of the next 5 days I would consider top-down days at least in the afternoon (in January). No hard top for me.

Your variables may be completely different.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Sad to loose purple! That is a good name for a jeep. Glad to hear how well it did. I had a similar experince with a toytoa sequoia but it was a side ways almost t-bone Old BRL ( burley girl) It is on her liscence did well. The sequoia and the occupant not so much both were hurt not severly but banged up. and the sequoia totaled. They fixed my jeep.

As for soft top I am going all in on a tan premium soft top,( c'mom FCA get it going :headbang:). Here is san diego it top down time all the time, except when the other drivers are looking at the sky and wondering what that wet stuff is that is falling.

Sponsored

Madora

First Name
Meg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Ram Rebel
Sad to loose purple! That is a good name for a jeep. Glad to hear how well it did. I had a similar experince with a toytoa sequoia but it was a side ways almost t-bone Old BRL ( burley girl) It is on her liscence did well. The sequoia and the occupant not so much both were hurt not severly but banged up. and the sequoia totaled. They fixed my jeep.

As for soft top I am going all in on a tan premium soft top,( c'mom FCA get it going :headbang:). Here is san diego it top down time all the time, except when the other drivers are looking at the sky and wondering what that wet stuff is that is falling.
I never really named her. Only had her 7 months before the accident. But that Purple was certainly distinguishable & out of all the Jeeps in our parking lot at work she was the most unique. All the guys at work called her Purple so it just kinda stuck. They’d see me out in town & comment on knowing it was me because it was the only purple JKU around. New Jeep already has a name, Jean. There’s a whole theme/story behind her name, but I’ll save that for when I pick her up & get her graphics applied.

lithe1

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Firecracker Red
Owners that have both the hard top (with or without lining) and premium soft top, which one is lighter? And does it feel lighter by much? Or feels minimal in weight difference?

I’m assuming the hard top is heavier since it has side and rear glass windows, but the soft top has metal braces.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
How much space is there between the top of the sports bar and the bottom of the. Soft top inside

huskiesfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Granite w/ body color top and soft top too.
Sorry if this question is dumb.
I ordered the dual top option for my Sport S...How should I expect it to be delivered? I haven't really seen anyone's photos of both the hardtop and the soft...I think it is obvious that the hardtop will be installed at delivery...But will the soft come installed underneath the hardtop?
My soft top came in a big box in the back of my JLU Sahara. Being in WI, where it's just now showing signs of warming up, I haven't taken the soft top out of the box for assembly yet. Heck, I was only about to take off the Freedom panels on Monday!

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
My soft top came in a big box in the back of my JLU Sahara. Being in WI, where it's just now showing signs of warming up, I haven't taken the soft top out of the box for assembly yet. Heck, I was only about to take off the Freedom panels on Monday!
For easier installation get it out and let it settle out of the box before installing. If you get a warm, sunny day let it sit in the sun a bit as well. That top will be stiff as hell right out of the box.

Sponsored

huskiesfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Granite w/ body color top and soft top too.
For easier installation get it out and let it settle out of the box before installing. If you get a warm, sunny day let it sit in the sun a bit as well. That top will be stiff as hell right out of the box.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll take that advise and pull it out this weekend. :)

Hartdt

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUS
Thank for sharing.
We would like to skip the bother of a hard top if the new premium soft top is as good as indicated. It would be great to hear from folks as they get the new soft top and report on noise and ease of operation. More detailed photos would also be appreciated.
We have a Wrangler JLU Sport with premium soft top. So far been impressed with the low noise levels and how easy it is to take down or remove. I have sourced a hard top at a dealer that I am looking to buy. I have most of my questions and concerns answered but one I had not considered was if a wrangler JLU originally built with the soft top only option has a different rear spring setup that a wrangler JLU that originally came with a hard top or dual top option. Essentially if I install the hardtop will the jeep sit lower or sag in the back? Perhaps the hard top is not heavy enough to make an impact? Just wondered if anyone else have experienced this?

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
We have a Wrangler JLU Sport with premium soft top. So far been impressed with the low noise levels and how easy it is to take down or remove. I have sourced a hard top at a dealer that I am looking to buy. I have most of my questions and concerns answered but one I had not considered was if a wrangler JLU originally built with the soft top only option has a different rear spring setup that a wrangler JLU that originally came with a hard top or dual top option. Essentially if I install the hardtop will the jeep sit lower or sag in the back? Perhaps the hard top is not heavy enough to make an impact? Just wondered if anyone else have experienced this?
There is no difference in springs. The only difference (other than the top itself) is that the factory hardtop/dual top comes prewired for rear defrost, rear wiper, and rear wiper fluid.

Reactions: Gus