Sponsored

Hard top wind noise

Quigley

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2 door, 2018 Harley Limited 115th Anniversary Edition, 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel
I just drove all 3 models of the JLU Wranglers on city streets and mountain driving here in Denver.

When in the mountains at 65 mph and some cross wind, I had quite a bit of wind noise. Sounded like it was coming from the top of the windshield/hardtop seal.

The Sport S was the loudest, while the Sahara and the Rubicon were only somewhat quieter. None had the top liner installed, which I think is odd since CO temps vary from -30 to 100 deg. F during the year from the high plains to the mountains. I know, I've lived here for over 26 years.

You lucky few who are driving your own ( I'm waiting for the 2 dr ), what is your experience?
Sponsored

jericbarg

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Granite
Occupation
Healthcare
My Sahara is much louder at windshield than any of the other JK's I've had (all hardtops). I did adjust the upper latch and the windshield hinge for a better seal. Helped a little but still very noisy starting at 50 mph and at 75 it's annoying. I drive mostly in town but I will do more investigating when I get the time.

My 17 JKUR is mostly quiet with a little windrush at highway speeds.

captainjack

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Drove a Sahara and rubicon and both hard tops had this wind buffering sound, similar to driving with the moonroof open and no doors so it has that slight hilacopter sound... anyway it was annoying to say the least.
My JL sport has the same noise and brought back but no one can figure it out. I will bring back to dealer again next week. No fix yet.

Sponsored

Grigs

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current '18 JL Unlimited Sport, Use to own 2015 JK, 2012 JK, 2008 JK, 2006 TJ
I’ve had plenty of jeeps...surprisingly my JL is the loudest. Just crank the tunes. It’s a Jeep thing.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Drove jlu sahara and rubicon on highway for test drives. Seemed similar to me. Was not overly windy, but not a calm day. Defintely noisier than my m3, but I'm still planning to order. Was not impressed with the fit of the stock headliner the sahara had, so I skipped that. I may look into some sound proofing (floor and roof) aftermarket, but in no rush.

Got the dual top, so if it seems loud, Ill use the soft top a bit, then switch back so it sounds quiet :)

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
I have the premium soft top, it’s far quieter then any of my JKS with the hard top ever were, I was cruising in the low 80’s on the highway and I was shocked with how quiet it was.... long story short, maybe there is a seal issue on the hardtop header? It shouldn’t be louder IMO.

jericbarg

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Granite
Occupation
Healthcare
I have the premium soft top, it’s far quieter then any of my JKS with the hard top ever were, I was cruising in the low 80’s on the highway and I was shocked with how quiet it was.... long story short, maybe there is a seal issue on the hardtop header? It shouldn’t be louder IMO.
I think the soft top may be just as noisy at the header but the sound gets soaked up in the material. The hardtop just resonates the sound throughout the cabin.
I do agree, the premium soft top is much easier on the ears.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I think the soft top may be just as noisy at the header but the sound gets soaked up in the material. The hardtop just resonates the sound throughout the cabin.
I do agree, the premium soft top is much easier on the ears.
So maybe the optional headliner will help reduce resonation?

techieanalyst

First Name
EC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon (Only missing Proxy) / 2019 Ram 1500 Limited 6.4" Box w/eTorque
Occupation
Engineer
I ordered with Mopar Headliners, its almost as quiet as my F150 as an fyi, the white looks stupid but shes quiet

LSUMaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I ordered with Mopar Headliners, its almost as quiet as my F150 as an fyi, the white looks stupid but shes quiet
Good to know! Thanks!
Do you mean the headliners are white? Or your talking about the roof eggshell like material?

techieanalyst

First Name
EC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon (Only missing Proxy) / 2019 Ram 1500 Limited 6.4" Box w/eTorque
Occupation
Engineer
Eggshell looking stuff

jericbarg

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Granite
Occupation
Healthcare
The headliners will help. On my JK I removed the top, turned it upside down and carpeted the entire interior of the top.
Cost $40 and really helped the looks, I didnt have any noise before and surely didnt after.
I am just spoiled as my Denali is whisper quiet at 80MPH.
Sponsored