Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Here are a few:
  1. Rain renders the rear curtain useless; you can't see behind in bad weather. Soft top gets you no rear defogger, no rear wiper, no rear squirter...and rain drops turn the vinyl window into stained glass
  2. If you park outside, the soft top gives you all the security of Jell-O
  3. Loading groceries into the back of the Jeep is a 3-step process with the lift glass; it is a 10-step process with the soft top. You need to drop everything, unzip the curtain, roll it up, open the gate, lift your stuff and put it inside, close the gate, roll down the curtain and secure it one more time.
My JL only has the soft top and is a daily driver. Even in the dead of winter, I haven't missed a hard top. As @aldo98229 said, the rear window is almost impossible to see out of when it gets wet, but you still have side view mirrors, and the side windows usually shed the water so you can see pretty well.

The two-door already has limited cargo space to begin with, so you don't even need to open the rear window to put stuff inside. I just tilt and put my groceries in with the window still in place; there's only enough room for 4 or 5 bags or a couple cases of bottled water.

I agree on the security issue, but that's the way all convertibles are, it's not just a Jeep thing. If you don't leave anything valuable and in plain sight, it most likely will be fine.
Sponsored

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2
I wouldn't mind a hardtop, but love my soft top. I have the premium soft top on my 2 dr. JL and it's much better than the soft top that was on my JK.

It folds back easier, the windows come out easier, and it holds heat very well, almost too well at times. I heard it's not that much louder than the hard top on the highway.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
It folds back easier, the windows come out easier, and it holds heat very well, almost too well at times. I heard it's not that much louder than the hard top on the highway.
My wife's JLU has the dual-top group, which comes with that nicer soft top. I feel like it's just about as quiet as the hardtop. Mine has the base soft top, which lets in a little more road noise, but it's not horrible.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Getting a 2 dr with a hard top is a plus $1500 +/- when buying new. And I'm buying a new '21 Willys Sport...........We will use it with the soft top & pull down when needed & then pull up when needed......It's a summer ride for us in any event, not a daily driver. With that in mind, what is the sense in getting a hard top? Dealer says hard top, just do it....... but? Give me a reason? I cannot see a future needing it........
When cruzin around with a hard top removed & it starts to rain, then WTF?? With a soft top......problem solved. Am I missing anything??

#1 Reason to get a hard top if you plan to factory order: Hard tops are the only choice available for factory order right now.

I owned a soft top on an old TJ and loved it. The security on it was nothing. If there is nothing to secure in the Jeep then no problem.

rip nacho.png

OP
OP
Bloody Marty

Bloody Marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP 2 DR WILLYS 21, CHEVY TRAIL BOSS 19
I had just read that.......hard top I guess

Sponsored

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The biggest thing here I can think of (and why I went with factory hardtop) is you get the wiring harness installed for it. My JK required a $350-$400 wiring harness because it came without a hardtop from the factory. On top of that, it had to be "programmed" from the dealer and it required disassembling the steering column. Being that you live in Michigan, get the dual top. If you do decide you don't need/want it anymore, you can just sell it. Used they retail for $1500.

With that, the soft top isn't that bad. I don't know how it is on the JL (yet!) but on my previous Jeep, the back window is a bit of a pain. It's not killer though and with a 2dr I don't think you'll be really putting much in the back anyhow.

Jeepteach21

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Wrangler
Had a soft top for years. Switched to a hard top. Never going back. I just ordered a new Jeep with just the hardtop option.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I have both. I almost always have the soft top on, but I will admit it's nice to have the hard top for the really brutal winters OR if you have any destinations coming up where vehicle security while parked may be an issue.

It's also nice to know that if the soft top would somehow receive any major damage, I have the hard top in the garage ready to go while fixing/replacing.

Basically if you can get a good deal on it from the factory, I would agree with the dealer and say "just go for it." You'll also get the electronics and tubing for the back window if you get hard top from the factory.

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
The biggest thing here I can think of (and why I went with factory hardtop) is you get the wiring harness installed for it. My JK required a $350-$400 wiring harness because it came without a hardtop from the factory. On top of that, it had to be "programmed" from the dealer and it required disassembling the steering column.
That is actually a darned good point.

I was wanting to order a 2d with the premium soft top, but of course that isn't an option at the moment. Since being given that information, I have been trying to warm up to the hard top. I used to have one on my TJ with a hoist to remove/hang it. That was fine, but I wanted a soft top this go 'round. I have found that the current soft tops do not lay flat when down, so that was a bit of a let down. And, the new hard tops have the removable front seat sections, which is really nice for on-the-fly changes, and it will take up less space when stored.

Planning for long-term ownership, it is starting to make more sense to get the hard top from the factory (especially with the hard top wiring being considered). I can add soft top options anytime down the road with no/few mods necessary.

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time
Given all the wiring, etc, you get with the hardtop and the additional advantages listed, resale value might be a consideration too.

Sponsored

Reseg

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I'm also a 2 door person and having big dogs (like I thought all Jeep people had lol) means I often need open access to the back for them to jump in and out. They're too big to just open the tailgate. A hard top was a must. Just open the tailgate, flip up the glass panel with zero effort, which can be done with 1 finger. The arguably better security, noise dampening, and temperature insulation are just bonuses. I bought a TopLiftPro, and use hand screw nuts to very quickly and easily pop off the top at home. The main and only disadvantage is price and inability to drop/raise the top while out somewhere.

Last edited:

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I have found that the current soft tops do not lay flat when down, so that was a bit of a let down.
You can easily rectify that with some velcro straps for a few bucks. I just put the top down as normal and cinch it up with the straps nice and tightly. The bundle then sits well below the top of my tire carrier. Adds maybe 30 seconds to putting the top down, not a big deal.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I have a 2 door. I was going to get the soft top till I found that the soft top does not come with a rear window wiper so I got a hard top. Recently I got a Bestop Sunrider Soft top that replaces the 2 freedom panels. I love it!

If I could I would have the hard side and rear windows and the push button soft top - except that it is not available on the 2 door.
Sponsored