Hard shift into 4H

danend

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
How hard should it be to shift into 4H? I’ve tried at a bunch of different speeds 0 - 40 on my wife’s 2018 JLU Sport and it is a VERY hard pull. So hard that I’m not sure that my wife would be able to do it. I was actually afraid of breaking something the first couple times.

I’ll ask the dealer to look at it when I schedule service for the recalls but in the meantime I thought I would check here.
Sponsored

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
I'm assuming you're talking about 2H to 4H? I don't have anything to compare with but mine shifts quite easily. Whether its from a stop or in motion, it only takes a flick of the wrist.

OP
OP

danend

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Thanks, I thought it was strange. I’ll setup a service call and have them take a look.

Mjclay

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Crystal Granite
Thanks, I thought it was strange. I’ll setup a service call and have them take a look.
I just got my JLU sport back from the dealership for the cruise recall and other stuff. I asked about this and was told that it’s normal and that the rubicons were even harder to shift. To this date I still haven’t been able to put it in 4L.

YFZ909

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Same here. First time going into 4H from 2H was def not a flick of the wrist and kind of a pain in the

Sponsored

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It should loosen up with use. Just keep working it and it should get easier. I found out that my Rubi will not go into Neutral or 2L without the trans being in neutral (automatic trans). No way, no how.

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
I just got my JLU sport back from the dealership for the cruise recall and other stuff. I asked about this and was told that it’s normal and that the rubicons were even harder to shift. To this date I still haven’t been able to put it in 4L.
Shifting in and out of 4L can be quite tricky. My right forearm was sore after a day of off roading!

Mjclay

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Crystal Granite
It should loosen up with use. Just keep working it and it should get easier. I found out that my Rubi will not go into Neutral or 2L without the trans being in neutral (automatic trans). No way, no how.
Thanks to this forum that is how I figured out how to get it in 4H.

OP
OP

danend

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The only one that is tough on my wife’s jeep is going from 2H —> 4H.

4H —> 2H, 4H —> 4L and 4L —> 4H are all much easier.

I have an appointment on Monday to have them look at it while performing the recall and checking out the Apple Maps location issue.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport

I have an appointment on Monday to have them look at it while performing the recall and checking out the Apple Maps location issue.
Ask for an experienced expert to check out your far more important 4wd shifting .

(Don't confuse them with the irrelevant not-important apple map location .)

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

Mine was very tough when brand new. I'm at 6500 miles now and it has become MUCH easier.

Uncreative

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
accountant
picked up my JLUR Saturday, ran some stock-level rock trails on Sunday (Chaos Offroad in WV). FYI - I am female. managed to shift 2H to 4H but could not get it into 4L. hate that I had to ask one of the guys to do it. it was a bitch getting it back to 4H then 2H. the owner's manual "strongly recommends" the vehicle be moving up to 4 mph to engage 4L. hopefully it gets easier, I don't wanna be harassed (playfully) forever for not being able to manage my own jeep LOL

jnyrad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys JLU
Same issue here. I had to really force it. Feels like it needs to be "broken in". My wife would never be able to put in 4wd the way it currently shifts.

OP
OP

danend

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Ok, dumb question because I'm out of town and I don't have my manual handy. The dealer told my wife that you need to shift into Neutral to shift into 4H. Is that correct? I will say that it is much easier to shift while in N, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't say you have to in the manual based on what I remember.

I thought that was only for 4L.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
Ok, dumb question because I'm out of town and I don't have my manual handy. The dealer told my wife that you need to shift into Neutral to shift into 4H. Is that correct? I will say that it is much easier to shift while in N, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't say you have to in the manual based on what I remember.

I thought that was only for 4L.
You are correct. Shifting from 2H to 4H and back can be done while in motion up to 45 mph. From 4H to 4L, gear shift must be in N and stopped or less than 3 mph. You'll hear grinding to remind you otherwise!

From the User Guide:

Shifting Procedures
2H To 4H Or 4H To 2H

Shifting between 2H and 4H can be made with the vehicle stopped or in motion. The preferred shifting speed would be 0 to 45 mph (72 km/h). With the vehicle in motion, the transfer case will engage/disengage faster if you momentarily release the accelerator pedal after completing the shift. Do not accelerate while shifting the transfer case. Apply a constant force when shifting the transfer case lever.

NOTE:
• Do not attempt to make a shift while only the front or rear wheels are spinning. The front and rear driveshaft speeds must be equal for the shift to take place. Shifting while only the front or rear wheels are
spinning can cause damage to the transfer case.
• Delayed shifts out of four-wheel drive may be experienced due to uneven tire wear, low or uneven tire pressures, excessive vehicle loading, or cold temperatures.
• Shifting effort will increase with speed, this is normal. During cold weather, you may experience
increased effort in shifting until the transfer case fluid warms up. This is normal.

4H To 4L Or 4L To 4H
With the vehicle rolling at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h), shift an automatic transmission into NEUTRAL (N), or press the clutch pedal on a manual transmission. While the vehicle is coasting at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h), shift the transfer case lever firmly to the desired position. Do not pause with the transfer case in N
(Neutral). Once the shift is completed, place the automatic transmission into DRIVE or release the clutch pedal on a manual transmission.

NOTE:
Shifting into or out of 4L is possible with the vehicle completely stopped; however, difficulty may occur due to the mating teeth not being properly aligned. Several attempts may be required for clutch teeth alignment and shift completion to occur. The preferred method is with the vehicle rolling at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h). Avoid attempting to engage or disengage 4L with the vehicle moving faster than 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h).
Sponsored