Handsfree calling sounds bad

bowtiejc

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator , 2023 Wrangler Willys.
Just got my wife a 2023 2door Willys, i have a gladiator and when im using handsfree calling , it sounds good on the persons end Im talking to. . My wifes Willys sounds like the top is off . Horrible noise . Its a hard top too.. is this an issue for the dealer or just something she will have to deal with. Oh and both our jeeps are 8.4 uconnect. Thanks This is her Willys
Jeep Wrangler JL Handsfree calling sounds bad B2121E55-0F04-4004-8B61-25747A38A517
Sponsored

OP
OP

bowtiejc

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any ideas ?

Blazing Saddles

First Name
Not Sure
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jeep
Occupation
Staring at this forum
While I am not sure what could be causing it, have you tried initiating the call to the phone connected to the Jeep then disabling the bluetooth on the phone and see if the problem persists? Next, I would try a different bluetooth output. If those are clear, the issue would point to the Uconnect. I don't often use my phone while driving, but my wife has sometimes had to call me back once connected to the Jeep as the audio is not quite right. It doesn't happen often but occurs enough that I remember it.

OP
OP

bowtiejc

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While I am not sure what could be causing it, have you tried initiating the call to the phone connected to the Jeep then disabling the bluetooth on the phone and see if the problem persists? Next, I would try a different bluetooth output. If those are clear, the issue would point to the Uconnect. I don't often use my phone while driving, but my wife has sometimes had to call me back once connected to the Jeep as the audio is not quite right. It doesn't happen often but occurs enough that I remember it.
We called my dad from her phone and he said he couldnt hear her for all
The background noise. I called from my phone on my way to work and it was still hard to hear her for all the noise. Sounds like all the tops are off.

Blazing Saddles

First Name
Not Sure
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jeep
Occupation
Staring at this forum
I would assume from your response that these all occurred while the bluetooth was connected to the Jeep. Sound issues are very hard to troubleshoot. Try calling the phone connected to the Jeep, turn off the bluetooth during the call and verify without the connection that the call is clear. Reconnect the phone to the Jeep and verify that the issue returns. If that confirms the issue only is present with the connection enabled, try the same procedure with a second phone. This will help eliminate the phone as the source of the voice quality issues. However, even if this is able to establish that the issue is the connection to the Jeep, I am not sure what a dealer will do. Maybe they will update the radio to the latest version, maybe replace the radio, maybe tell you to kick rocks, but I don't see them capturing the stream to find the root cause.

Sponsored

OP
OP

bowtiejc

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would assume from your response that these all occurred while the bluetooth was connected to the Jeep. Sound issues are very hard to troubleshoot. Try calling the phone connected to the Jeep, turn off the bluetooth during the call and verify without the connection that the call is clear. Reconnect the phone to the Jeep and verify that the issue returns. If that confirms the issue only is present with the connection enabled, try the same procedure with a second phone. This will help eliminate the phone as the source of the voice quality issues. However, even if this is able to establish that the issue is the connection to the Jeep, I am not sure what a dealer will do. Maybe they will update the radio to the latest version, maybe replace the radio, maybe tell you to kick rocks, but I don't see them capturing the stream to find the root cause.
Im kind of dumb. But her phone not linked to jeep is clear , its a iphone 13 pro. Only sounds like it when she answers with the button on steering wheel and talks to the mirror lol. Her actual Phone is fine. My gladiator is clear and no noise. Its a 2021. Thanks for the suggestions

Blazing Saddles

First Name
Not Sure
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jeep
Occupation
Staring at this forum
Ok, that at least eliminates the phones somewhat. From what I gather, the incoming audio is fine (she doesn't hear an issue) and the outgoing is garbled (the other side of the call). Since the issue is one sided, at this point, I would suggest it may be an issue with the microphone in the Jeep. That should at least give you some steps to tell the dealership that leads to them needing to check something tangible.

OP
OP

bowtiejc

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, that at least eliminates the phones somewhat. From what I gather, the incoming audio is fine (she doesn't hear an issue) and the outgoing is garbled (the other side of the call). Since the issue is one sided, at this point, I would suggest it may be an issue with the microphone in the Jeep. That should at least give you some steps to tell the dealership that leads to them needing to check something tangible.
Great thanks

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Our 2019 sucks for call clarity. Wife calls on her way home every day. If she's on hands free you can tell a huge difference if she swaps it over to her phone only.

In for updates.
Sponsored