chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
I plan on avoiding official campgrounds as well but do still worry about not having a site to come back to, or stolen stuff, with a RTT. I mean time wise to pack up and stuff is a non-issue for me. The set up we have now is longer and more involved by far than what a RTT set up would be.

I like the idea of being off the ground though especially with any off the beaten path camping just for the animals alone. So much to think about haha!
Sincere question: why would using an RTT increase the likelihood of stuff being stolen? Seems to me that with a ground tent, you are leaving even MORE behind to be stolen when you drive away for an outing away from camp. Is it because a tent-less camp looks potentially abandoned? Perhaps because a prospective thief who sees a tent would be concerned that someone was IN the tent? If that's it, any thief can quickly and easily confirm that a tent is empty w/o raising suspicions.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Saphros

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUSport S
Occupation
Parts Person
Sincere question: why would using an RTT increase the likelihood of stuff being stolen? Seems to me that with a ground tent, you are leaving even MORE behind to be stolen when you drive away for an outing away from camp. Is it because a tent-less camp looks potentially abandoned? Perhaps because a prospective thief who sees a tent would be concerned that someone was IN the tent? If that's it, any thief can quickly and easily confirm that a tent is empty w/o raising suspicions.
I don't know so much that having a RTT setup increases the likelihood of stuff being stolen, more that it would increase the likelihood of the site being occupied if/when I came back to it. I think that's more the concern for me at this point, not as much my stuff because I doubt I would leave anything behind.

I do agree that a ground tent would likely be more appealing to a prospective thief, like you said it would be pretty easy to confirm whether or not anyone was on site.
I'm all over the place with this. I've got ideas of the kinds of trips I'd like to do and there's pros and cons to either style of set up. Cost is definitely a limiting factor currently but isn't an impossible hurdle for the RTT set up.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
You know, it's very interesting to see how there is no grey area on this subject.

Those that are for RTT love it and then there are those that prefer ground tenting!

Both give great reasons for their preferences and it's so interesting to read those reasons why....

I enjoy reading everyone's reasons and honestly, they are all ligitamit reasons! .... :like:

Me myself, I prefer ground tenting... it's what I grew up with and know... and love it!

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I like the idea of an RTT but dont believe I would ever put one on a jeep for the reasons you guys already mentioned in the post. Having said that I intend to eventually get a small trailer and put the RTT on it along with all the other camp stuff..that way you have best of both worlds. If its just me and the boys without the wife then just a small ground tent and no trailer.

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
I like the idea of an RTT but dont believe I would ever put one on a jeep for the reasons you guys already mentioned in the post. Having said that I intend to eventually get a small trailer and put the RTT on it along with all the other camp stuff..that way you have best of both worlds. If its just me and the boys without the wife then just a small ground tent and no trailer.
You could find an old military trailer and put a RTT on it, this one is a 46-51 M100 that I found on Craigslist for $700 in 2014.

11259196_10203821420285413_5048463640943584157_n-2.jpg

Sponsored

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
You mentioned traveling with your dog. Just curious . . . If you go with the RTT where will the dog sleep? In the Jeep?

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
You could find an old military trailer and put a RTT on it, this one is a 46-51 M100 that I found on Craigslist for $700 in 2014.

11259196_10203821420285413_5048463640943584157_n-2.jpg
yeah thatā€™s kind of the idea, however since the ā€œoverlandingā€ craze itā€™s hard to find good deals on those trailers. Keeping my eye out for one, have welder in hand haha

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I had a pop top from Ursa Minor, similar to a RTT but built into the roof so much better aerodynamics. Brought it home, showed it to the missus who brought me down to earth: ā€œso you bought a $6000 tent?ā€

I think it got used at most ten times in two years. It was a pain to use the restroom in the middle of the night. I lost about $2k when it was sold. That is easily ten decent hotel rooms.

My thinking on RTTs has evolved. Unless I am camping regularly near large lizards, grizzlies or gators, Iā€™ll take the $250 tent with an exped mattress and spend the $2k savings on my lift. Or sleep in a hotel.

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I had a pop top from Ursa Minor, similar to a RTT but built into the roof so much better aerodynamics. Brought it home, showed it to the missus who brought me down to earth: ā€œso you bought a $6000 tent?ā€

I think it got used at most ten times in two years. It was a pain to use the restroom in the middle of the night. I lost about $2k when it was sold. That is easily ten decent hotel rooms.

My thinking on RTTs has evolved. Unless I am camping regularly near large lizards, grizzlies or gators, Iā€™ll take the $250 tent with an exped mattress and spend the $2k savings on my lift. Or sleep in a hotel.
haha a friend said it best.. camping where you spend thousands to live like a hobo

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
haha a friend said it best.. camping where you spend thousands to live like a hobo
I didnā€™t learn my lesson as I traded the pop top in on an Airstream. At least the hobo part isnā€™t applicable. Camping is overrated but Glamping is spectacular. A shower, toilet, and a TV is a wonderful thing on the road.

Sponsored

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

The overlanding thing is really turning into a meme at this point. I mean in the USA not far reaches of Patagonia/Africa/Oz... Like many things it becomes an excuse to spend money and haul around a bunch of latest gear to worry about. Often cameras & instagram become involved. I understand we all need our distractions but the people and YouTube vids are starting to blend together into product reviews, with hilariously overladen moneysink rigs, over lands that scores of others have already been over. And you are correct it is just camping when you remove the ā€œstuffā€ to consume and distill its essence. Yes, over rougher roads/with no services/on BLM land etc but itā€™s still camping. And hopefully drinking, with good friends. Like Iā€™ve been doing tonight

Btw we are all about to do a lot more overlanding & boondocking if this virus thing keeps ramping up.

1D64DD6D-1187-4F56-A90A-1185FCC6F9F2.gif

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
The overlanding thing is really turning into a meme at this point. I mean in the USA not far reaches of Patagonia/Africa/Oz... Like many things it becomes an excuse to spend money and haul around a bunch of latest gear to worry about. Often cameras & instagram become involved. I understand we all need our distractions but the people and YouTube vids are starting to blend together into product reviews, with hilariously overladen moneysink rigs, over lands that scores of others have already been over.
Yeah and you can say that about nearly every single hobby today. From running to rodeo to wranglers. Itā€™s always been this way to some degree but social media has magnified everything. People have to choose their own path. Everyone else should do their thing and not worry about others.

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
I built this trailer with the idea of using it as a utility trailer and camping. So far itā€™s only really seen camping duty. I wouldnā€™t want the weight on top of the Jeep. But thereā€™s terrain where you couldnā€™t take a trailer also. We haul any gear in the trailer so the Jeep isnā€™t packed with stuff. I have a lock on the tailgate in an attempt to secure the gear. It is nice to be able to unhook from the trailer, leaving the tent deployed.

60D9D12D-4F54-4996-AF6F-48068F2DE502.jpeg

8276DA3D-F55B-4D31-8B5D-4278BD0CE508.jpeg

View attachment 292086

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Foster_WV

First Name
Foster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ & JLU
To be honest packing and unpacking was my top reason for a trailer, makes camping easier and less stressful knowing everything is one place. Cons itā€™s more difficult to take a trailer on difficult trails, Pro setting up ā€œbase campā€ and going out exploring in the Jeep.
92D2FA03-67DF-4F75-9C20-2227A3E3E166.jpeg
A6CB4CC6-8787-4C68-86BD-59BC00919729.jpeg
CE81B081-6F98-4E9A-92BC-6C7CB35974A1.jpeg
Sponsored