xaugievike

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

Before we get too far I want to eliminate cost from this thread. RTT's are pricey. They have the "hidden" cost of a rack. We know this, so lets just eliminate that for now.

What are your qualifiers in this debate?

For me RTT's are plus in terms of critters (not gonna lie that slithering creatures are issue for me....call me what you will). They dont intrude on interior storage. Noise in windy conditions would be a minus. Perhaps limitations in sleeping comfort with mattresses. another minus is having to pack up when moving.

Ground tents allow one to set up base camp. some options seem to maybe mitigate wind noise (shiftpod?). Sleeping arrangement can be more flexible with cots, etc.

Im seeking trains of thought I havent considered....so fire away.
Sponsored

Blazing Saddles

First Name
Not Sure
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jeep
Occupation
Staring at this forum
I think it depends some on where you intend to camp. While I live in the SE, I have spent time camping in the SW. The air was dry and cool most nights and I slept in a sleeping bag on a pad out in the elements. The only time we were in the tent was in RMNP because it was snowing in June when we got there. Out here or in the NW where we both get 100+ in of rain a year, I think you can make the argument for a RTT. Creatures matter, too. I'd want a RTT in wolf country, but I don't worry bout snakes too much.

RidgebackWrangler

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Prius LE, 2021 Toyota Prius Prime
Ok on my Tacoma a got rid of a year ago I had a RTT it was nice. If you have a long drive you can pull up to a spot almost anywhere level off the vehicle deploy the tent and go to sleep. That part was great. Setup and take down was nice. Especially if you 4x4 in a place that is very rocky and its hard to find a good flat spot for a ground tent its a plus. The only problem is that is about it for pros in my opinion. If you go camping at a place where you are going to stay for a few days and you need to go to the store or want to go on a few trails then come back you have to take it down and set it up anytime you want to go anywhere. Also for me in the Tacoma I had a bed rack and couldn't haul anything in the bed that was very tall. My wife and I plan on going camping with our dogs so instead of a RTT its going to be a roof rack for all of our gear. Its nice to have the option to haul something like a Kayak on top. The ultimate goal is to build a trailer to stow gear and put the RTT on the trailer. You can drop that and leave it and go on day trips go to the store and just leave camp setup.

Sponsored

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
I may be at the complete other end of the spectrum..but hear me out:

1) I've really got no room to store a RTT/rack, so that would entail leaving it on the vehicle 24/7
2) if I'm going to leave something on the vehicle all the time, I'd prefer something a little less obtrusive than a rtt/rack.
3) I'm seriously considering throwing my funds at an Ursa Minor; here's where the tricky part comes in.
A) roughly $8000
B) *should* be able to sell my hard top (painted ocean blue), freedom panels & sunrider for maybe $2500
C) cost less sales price of HT is around $5500...still a bit high, but for the convenience of not having to hassle with removal/storage, in my mind (small place) it's highly worth it

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
While I like the concept of RTT, it seems impractical for my style of camping. I think a ground tent with a big air mattress works the best for me. Not to mentioned midnight restroom trips while twilight sleeping may make climbing off my roof in the middle of the night in the dark super unsafe.

I also like the idea of setting up camp, and leaving it set up for 3-4 days. There are coyotes in the smoky mountains but I've never seen one in the campground.

Blazing Saddles

First Name
Not Sure
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jeep
Occupation
Staring at this forum
I kinda think the answer, at least to myself, lies in the idea of a overlanding trailer. That seems to be the compromise. You get the tent, the extra storage, and the ability to leave it at camp as you explore. If you plan on packing up nightly and moving every day, it may not fit your needs.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I think the main thing about the RTT debate is that it will be either perfect for you, or completely wrong for you. There is no middle ground.

Main plus is that it's relatively easy to set up. You're off the ground, adding a little distance between you and critters, bears, etc. They're better for winter camping. You have little to no issues with rocky uneven ground. RTTs can have a more comfortable mattress than a sleeping pad or cot. They can also function as an awning depending on the type of RTT, providing some rain protection and shade on the ground.

The biggest cons are that if your tent is up, your vehicle is trapped. Any sort of excursion means packing up (most of) camp. This can range from no problem to royal PIA depending on what sort of camping you do. You can't leave your tent behind to claim your site if you go on an excursion. In some popular first come, first served areas, this is unthinkable. A RTT significantly raises your center of gravity. It can be very difficult to impossible to get larger dogs up there. Small children can fall getting in and out of them. Heck, drunk adults can fall too.

So while the list of cons is longer, they just don't apply to some people. Others are very much impacted by them. All depends on what type of person/camper you are.

luna4x4

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I currently use a ground tent for my overland adventures and am somewhat pleased with it. In my opinion, the pros and cons of a ground tent include:

Pros
  • Lightweight compared to a rooftop tent.
  • Able to set up and leave basecamp without having to put my tent away.
  • Easy to take off and put onto my roof rack. My jeep is my daily driver at the moment and I don't want to have to lug my tent around town.
  • I am able to stand up in my tent, which is a big plus for me (I am 6'2 and still have plenty of room in my Gazelle T4 tent).
  • My dog is able to easily leave and enter the tent without me being required to pick her up each time (she's a 65 lb Golden Retriever).
  • Relatively quick to setup compared to other ground tents.
Cons
  • Annoying to set up and take down if you are moving campsites every day.
  • Takes up a lot of room in the Jeep if you dont have a roof rack to store it on.
  • You are on the ground with all the critters, best make sure you keep the tent zipped up every time.
At this point in my life my current tent gets the job done. I do get a little envious when I see how quick some of the roof top tents set up, but I think the pros I listed above still make it my preferred way to sleep when overlanding.

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
  • You are on the ground with all the critters, best make sure you keep the tent zipped up every time.
I always run my zippers up to the top of the door, and have since I was a kid. Therefore if there is a little gap, you have a lot smaller chance of a slithering animal coming in to visit.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I wanted an RTT for a while, depending on the model they seem easy to pack up. I like the idea of not having to prep the ground area checking for rocks, branches, and ant mounds.

I have a two man scout tent from the military which I love, it's light weight and easy to pack/setup. It won't work for my family of four, but if I'm on my own it's fine.

As time has gone by my knees are not too keen on climbing up and down ladders, so I am looking heavily at a tow behind camping setup. Patriot campers look really nice and we got to see the X3 in person. It is extremely pricey but look well made and nicer on my bones. I think these trailers with an RTT or a pop-up style are a great idea, unless you want to go in somewhere deep and not as navigable with a trailer.

CaliMat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I may be at the complete other end of the spectrum..but hear me out:

1) I've really got no room to store a RTT/rack, so that would entail leaving it on the vehicle 24/7
2) if I'm going to leave something on the vehicle all the time, I'd prefer something a little less obtrusive than a rtt/rack.
3) I'm seriously considering throwing my funds at an Ursa Minor; here's where the tricky part comes in.
A) roughly $8000
B) *should* be able to sell my hard top (painted ocean blue), freedom panels & sunrider for maybe $2500
C) cost less sales price of HT is around $5500...still a bit high, but for the convenience of not having to hassle with removal/storage, in my mind (small place) it's highly worth it
I highly recommend the UsraMinor, I got mine this spring (ocean blue color match) and I have no regrets. It is very quick to setup and breakdown, and the additional weight is less than a traditional RTT + Rack. I had never seen one (except pictures) before I got mine and the craftsmanship and service is great. Communication with the company needs a huge improvement though. No denying that is it expensive, but in my opinion worth every penny.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
(On Roof top tents)

But you can't have a woodstove or fire in a roof tent! Well, not one sanctioned by any manufacturer, anyway.

@xaugievike what kind of camping? Location, weather, duration?
Well, okay. If you're going so far as to bring a wood stove... :LOL:
Sponsored