Big Red Rubicon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR ; 2014 FLHTK
Hey everyone--

Sorry to hear about that, but know that we hear your concerns! If you're ever working with one of our certified dealers to get this addressed and would like additional support, our @JeepCares team is always here to help! Just reach out to us via private messages with your model year & make so we can look into it.

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares
Courtney,

Jeep Cares was great to work with my dealer, but the dealers are at the mercy of FCA. And FCA does not cooperate.
Sponsored

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Took 4 months to get a new radio. I should have contacted @JeepCares sooner. It was delivered about a week after contacting Jeep. They even called me like they said they would to track the progress.

Helajames

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon
Was just at the second dealer as my orginal was not able to do the replacement. Jeep is going to cover it out of warrantee. Went to have them do there own evaluation and are going to replace it out of dealer “good will”. Part is on order. Thanks for all the support with this Jeep cares Sarah and Courtney!

TunedDownGuitar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4DR Wrangler JL '18
Occupation
Angry IT Guy
I'm in the same situation. I couldn't figure out why I kept getting wind advisories for Cape May when I'm several hundred miles inland. My ride before this was an '06 Ranger I drove into the ground so I've always used Car Play and never tested the stock GPS, shame on me for not doing it before buying this JL used in June.

One of the "hidden" benefits that exists with the broken air card is all of the remote access features are broken, which means your car can't be tracked or remotely disabled. If the dealer doesn't replace it I might just get an inexpensive standalone GPS unit with an external antenna for situations where my phone doesn't get the job done.

Be careful doing this as well.

The aircard is incredibly easy to swap out, but I believe it needs to have the same software version flashed on it as your radio. One of the reasons why updates and reversions fail on the UConnect when the aircard is dead is because it updates the aircard, too.
@Spank - When you looked at your aircard, did you see if there was any easy way to discern the firmware? Did it have any way to flash it to the expected version of the card? It runs Legato, so it could possibly be flashed to the version required but this would go above and beyond most people's willingness to deal with this stuff.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
@Spank - When you looked at your aircard, did you see if there was any easy way to discern the firmware? Did it have any way to flash it to the expected version of the card? It runs Legato, so it could possibly be flashed to the version required but this would go above and beyond most people's willingness to deal with this stuff.
I'm afraid not.

I'm going off of my own experience, other owner's experiences, and what I've been told by a dealership that, at the time, was dealing with tons of customer UConnect problems. Apparently, UConnect units for 2018 models of virtually every FCA vehicle had tons of aircards that ate shit. Nobody knows why. It was just a bad year for aircards, I suppose. Some of these spilled in 2019 models, but were units that had been manufactured around the same time.

It's entirely possible whatever software is on the aircard might be irrelevant, but when I tried to update the software on my JL after replacing its aircard, it still managed to croak, and it was the dealership that surmised the aircard might not be an easy transplant. Of course, they don't go that deep into these things and simply replace them outright. However, lots of people online have done the same thing I have, simply matching the aircard part number, and didn't have an issue at all.

Ultimately, I think we're all rolling the dice.

Sponsored

TunedDownGuitar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4DR Wrangler JL '18
Occupation
Angry IT Guy
It's entirely possible whatever software is on the aircard might be irrelevant, but when I tried to update the software on my JL after replacing its aircard, it still managed to croak, and it was the dealership that surmised the aircard might not be an easy transplant.
I wonder if it could be yours was from the same bad batch that was failing, or if there's something else causing them to crap out. I'm just annoyed that the GPS unit is the same as the aircard. From a component/cost perspective it makes sense, but if your aircard goes out then you also lose GPS. That could be pretty bad depending on your situation.

I'm going to work with the dealer before I crack open the dash, but if they tell me it's out of warranty I'll share what I find when I do it myself.

frank728

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Clubs

So I seem to be having a similar issue to all of you in this thread. GPS shows I'm 80 miles east of my current location, and I only noticed this issue because my timezone on the dash changed. I had the radio replaced once since then, and before driving off the dealer lot checked. The GPS shows me in San Antonio, TX (I'm actually in Illinois). Told the dealer before I left and they said they'd order another (2nd replacement) radio. During this time I did contact Jeep Cares about this problem and they seem to have contacted Uconnect, who has been helpful.

I'm at the dealership today and had the radio replaced, however same issue. The dealer said I'm now showing codes that make them think the antenna is actually the problem. Their plan is to replace the antenna after the holidays and ordered the part.

Also before I left the lot today my temp controls didn't work. I could only use Hi or Lo temp with "auto." They are working on that as I type this.

2021 Rubicon

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
when my gps signal was blocked by my roof rack it did this, put an external gps receiver on the dash and it works fine.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Also before I left the lot today my temp controls didn't work. I could only use Hi or Lo temp with "auto." They are working on that as I type this.

2021 Rubicon
The radio just needs time to learn your vehicle. Sometimes it's instant, sometimes it'll take up to a day, but your vehicle options and features will return.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I'm surprised I haven't seen or took note of this thread before. My 2019 JLR, 25kish miles, GPS was off by about 300 miles. I noticed in the spring the clock was off by about 14 minutes, didn't notice the GPS until months later when my cell phone couldn't get a signal. Brought it to my original dealer in early September, they said I needed a new radio, said they ordered it. In the mean time they pulled my radio fuse so it wouldn't kill my battery as it tried to reboot over and over. They called me about a month later to tell me it was in. I made an appointment and showed up a week later and they told me they had no radio. I emailed them about a month later asking for a status, they told me they never ordered a radio and asked me to bring it to them a third time so they could get some info to order a new radio. I told them to pound sand and made an appointment at another dealer. I am supposed to finally get a new radio tomorrow morning, lets see how it goes.

@JeepCares for the record, so far, 3 visits to dealerships, with one more scheduled, almost 4 months without a radio, for a car less than 3 year old, and less than 30k miles. I am just glad this is my 2nd vehicle.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Update to my previous post, 2nd dealer replaced my radio today, GPS works now. Almost 4 months without a radio finally done.

frank728

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Clubs

The radio just needs time to learn your vehicle. Sometimes it's instant, sometimes it'll take up to a day, but your vehicle options and features will return.
Thats interesting, I didn't know that. The dealer ended up keeping it over night and put the old radio back in for now. Temp works fine again. But now I'm waiting on the replacement antenna parts to get delivered so they can try replacing that.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Curious if anyone tried pulling the radio fuse. This worked in Fords when the sync system would go nuts.

randyone

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Saharah
I wish that I had found this post a long time ago. I had a 2018 JL that was having the same issue. GPS thought I was in Virginia when I live on NJ. At the end of my lease I turned the Jeep in and picked up a 2021 JL. The issue with the 2018 JL is now someone else’s problem.

Snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep Wrangler 1999; Jeep Sahara Wrangler 2018 HD 2006 Deluxe
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
So my gps thinks I’m 2 states away ..any thoughts? Can i reset this thing somehow ?
So has anyone found out whats up? I had this floating on water etc as well as heading nb when actually Im driving east. Any ideas? I got a new navigation system and now 6 months later its doing it again! Wth?
Sponsored