GPS for off road

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
1)Does the 2018 UConnect Nav system generate bread crumb trails? If so, can they then be stored and/or saved to a USB memory stick?
2) Can GPX trails be loaded into the Nav system?
If not, I guess I will have to bring my Garmin GPS unit...why would Jeep inhibit off-road travel that way? A world-class off-road vehicle with obsolete GPS electronics! Hint...to the other car companies contemplating building a Wrangler opponent...check on what Jeep owners are taking with on their overlanding trips.
Great question
Sponsored

Alacon01

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I went for a lower budget solution, but used an old android phone I had to run Gaia GPS. for $20 a year it allows me to download and stop topo maps, as well as upload kmls from google earth. This ended up being a better solution for me as I'm used to working with certain formats.

Alacon01

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I updated my setup today, the cell doesn't get great receptions, I also added some usb ports to the top of the dash to clean up a bit of wiring. It was also an inconvenience that the second phone wanted to take over android auto all the time. Side note, all the cables are zip tied up now.
IMG_20180628_133132.jpg

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
There are similar threads on this but nothing I see as specific to my question. Does anyone use eTrex or a Montana, etc for off road GPS? I see these on dual sport bikes all the time and was just wondering if they show off road better than a "car" GPS.
I use a Garmin Oregon as an off road GPS. There are a ton of .gpx files for local Arizona trails and they are easily loaded into a hand held Garmin. Before the trail run, I've already looked at an overview on Google Earth, so although the screen is small, the GPS does ensure we stay on track. Sometimes the better looking trail is not the correct one ... the hand held will save your butt in that situation.

When we are going on one of the 100 Arizona trails contained in the FunTreks book, I use a Garmin Nuvi. I like the larger screen ... actually, I love the larger screen. Wish I could use it for all the trails.

I was told that FunTreks uses proprietary software to convert standard .gpx files into .gpx files that can be viewed on a Nuvi. I haven't figured out how to do that with available software. Hoping that someone on the forum has figured that process out and will share the info.

Sponsored

camprats

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4-door Rubicon
I have good luck with a tablet, but a smartphone will do the same thing, only on a smaller screen. There are a number of apps that will work, and a number of places you can download tracks to use with the apps.

There is a discussion of 3 apps on JeepTheUSA.com

Circlep

First Name
DeWayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 04Chevy 2500HD/ duramax, Yamaha Royal Star Venture
I use a Garmin Oregon when in the back country. Most of the time there is no cell service so I carry my Garmin InReach along just in case. I can use both to mark waypoints and text someone if I need help with the InReach.

XJ-99

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (sold), 2010 Toyota RAV4v6 Limited (sold), 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Mojito!
I know it's been awhile since anyone has posted to this thread, but it looks like something new is coming from Garmin directed at the overlanding crowd, and surprise, it's called "Overlander". Garmin touts it's on and offroad capabilities with built-in maps, campsites and boundaries.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/overlander/

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
I know it's been awhile since anyone has posted to this thread, but it looks like something new is coming from Garmin directed at the overlanding crowd, and surprise, it's called "Overlander". Garmin touts it's on and offroad capabilities with built-in maps, campsites and boundaries.

Damn that comes with a heft price tag. Worth it I suppose for someone who will be using its features and capabilities regularly.

https://smile.amazon.com/Garmin-Ove...&s=gateway&sprefix=garmin+over,aps,275&sr=8-1

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Are there any apps that work with Android Auto that you can load in GPX tracks?
On my ADV and Dual Sport motorcycles, I use OSMand+ with GPX tracks on my Samsung Galaxy mounted in a Ram X Mount, but as far as I know, it doesn't work with Android Auto and it sure would be nice to show up on that big 8.4 inch screen

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

That looks pretty awesome! It is like a Magellan TRX7 but with better hardware. The Magellan works ok, but its guts are a cheap Android tablet that is slow and buggy. If this Garmin has crowd sourced trails like the Magellan, it will be a winner and I'll snag one when the price comes down or is discounted a bit, if it proves to have better performance than the Magellan.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU

Supports up to 4 wireless back up cameras! Gladiator trail cam be damned, i'll have one on every corner!
Sponsored