Sponsored

Looking for an offroad GPS device, what is the general recommended?

dajaga

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport
Well I'm getting more comfortable with offroading, led a small group over the weekend and realize that a GPS would be a very nice device to have. Recommendations very welcomed.
Sponsored

DirtRoad

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
An Android tablet with the Backcountry Navigator app works pretty well for me. I haven't gone looking for newer/better apps in a while. There may be some out there but Backcountry Navigator works ok for me.

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
Personally, I would not trust any phone or tablet for navigating, at least not in the PNW or remote areas of CA. I have been in too many situations where they simply do not work reliably compared to a proper GPS, such as a Garmin. Currently we use a Navigator 5, which is basically a Garmin 660 customized for BMW motorcycles (I had an R1200GS for a time). Garmins are by no means perfect, however, mainly due to the software (maps). On a recent trip on the WABDR, about half of the roads we encountered were not shown on the device, and a good number of the roads shown on the device did not exist any more and obviously hadn't for years. Really poor showing by Garmin there. We always have good detailed paper maps with us to reference in addition to the N5, and the Jeep's own Nav function comes in handy, too. Between the GPS, the Jeep's nav, and the paper maps we've always done fine. I've been thinking about getting the Garmin Overlander if/when it goes on sale, but it will still be hamstrung by the same software/map accuracy issues as the N5 because it uses the same maps.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Gaia on your iPhone or iPad. Download the maps and you’re good to go. Gaia also allows you to use the 8.4” display in CarPlay mode.

Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Gaia on your phone. Works with CarPlay and you can download the maps and routes for offline use.

This has worked on countless trips for me without issue.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
+1 for Gaia again on your tablet (With GPS—need cellular iPad but dont need cell service or cell plan) /phone connected with car play.

Gaia is feature rich and does not have a “simple interface” (at least, not for me). But it is very, very, very good! Did I say “very, very, very”? Well, it is.

RubiTuesday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
+1 for Gaia again on your tablet (With GPS—need cellular iPad but dont need cell service or cell plan) /phone connected with car play.
I also use Gaia with an iPad. It’s probably best to have a cellular capable iPad for the internal GPS, but if you happen to have a WiFi only iPad, you can use a Bluetooth enabled external receiver like a Garmin Glo2.

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for an offroad GPS device, what is the general recommended? FE8E0A55-600C-4A42-ADF5-CCC8B011E41C

Sponsored

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
OnX Off Road is what I use..has lots of user feedback on trails and updates for trail status.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Are you looking for an actual GPS or a GIS system? Because any app or program others are mentioning are GIS systems that use an integrated GPS (like in an iPad). The GPS antennae’s in these devices kind of suck.

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
Always good to carry a few things for Nav. I use Gaia on an Ipad and phone, paper topo maps with a compass and a Garmin Inreach. One is none...

RubiTuesday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
...The GPS antennae’s in these devices kind of suck.
The upside to using a Bluetooth GPS receiver with an iPad is that you can position it for better reception while keeping the tablet where you want it and, unlike the internal iPad GPS, many of them are WAAS enabled. Of course, you get the hassle of a separate device to mount, charge, etc and the antenna is still not as good as a quality, dedicated unit.
Sponsored