Sponsored

Looking for an offroad GPS device, what is the general recommended?

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
I also use Gaia with an iPad. It’s probably best to have a cellular capable iPad for the internal GPS, but if you happen to have a WiFi only iPad, you can use a Bluetooth enabled external receiver like a Garmin Glo2.

FE8E0A55-600C-4A42-ADF5-CCC8B011E41C.jpeg
After reading posts here and elswhere.....I bought the Gaia program for my iPhone / I pad.....and bought the Garmin Glo 2. This sounds like a super set up for my needs. I demo'd the unit with apple car play on my Honda Ridgeline today.....and can see this is gonna be wonderful for 'Sploring in my jeep on the trails down in OZ this year. THANKS for the reviews!

Still lots to learn about.......and I have problems getting the software to run on my MacBook Air. But I can see great things with this combo GPS / mapping.
Sponsored

JeepFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport 2-door
Well I'm getting more comfortable with offroading, led a small group over the weekend and realize that a GPS would be a very nice device to have. Recommendations very welcomed.
I just ordered a Garmin Zumo XT. It is designed for motorcycles, so it is waterproof, dust proof, and shock resistant. It is functionally equivalent to the Garmin Overlander, but in a smaller overall size, for less money, and with a bit higher display resolution. The Zumo XT comes with both street/highway maps and offroad/topo maps.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/679804/pn/010-02296-00

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
Gaia with iPad Pro -and as others mentioned it works with Carplay if you need.

This setup is a must for me now on every drive. Always download the maps ahead of time and I know exactly where I am - it's never had any issues.

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for an offroad GPS device, what is the general recommended? IMG_7383

JeepFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport 2-door
Well I'm getting more comfortable with offroading, led a small group over the weekend and realize that a GPS would be a very nice device to have. Recommendations very welcomed.
I really like the Garmin Zumo XT. It is marketed to motorcycle riders; and comes with topo maps, offroad trail maps, etc. I fabricated my own RAM components mounting bar for the garmin and my phone.

20210408_072630.jpg

20210405_134037.jpg
Sponsored