First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel, 2022 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Not sure which to install in my 2021 Rubicon JLU. I've always had an CB in the past, but reading more and more about the GMRS radios. Are the GMRS radios becoming more and more common? Any suggestions or comments appreciated... Ron
Sponsored

Lgkaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The thing that was the deciding factor for me in choosing GMRS over CB was that Jeep had officially announced they were replacing CB w/GMRS at official Jeep events, to include the Jamboree.

I have the Midland MXT275 paired w/a Midland 6db MXTA26 32" whip antenna. Reception has been great and w/repeaters...the range and clarity is phenomenal.

Last edited:

Derek

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-Door
Yes, my group in MA switched to FRS (GMRS shares many of the same channels) 3 years ago. Works well for us, even the hardware store blister pack ones, but I installed the Midland mXt275 mobile radio last year, IRL I get about a mile with the small stubby antenna.

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
The Midland MXT275 is common as the controls are in the mic like the Cobra75 CB. The radio body can be mounted anywhere in the vehicle using cat6 and a RJ45 panel mount as a mic extension.
The radio isn't quite as important as the antenna, the higher the antenna is mounted the further you will be able to communicate. Higher wattage may help push the signal through trees and such, but with all things equal a 5 or 15 watt radio with the antenna mounted on top of the vehicle will talk further than a 50 watt radio with the antenna mounted low on the vehicle not only because of height but also because the body of the vehicle can block the signal.

Cycle11111

First Name
Alastair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 Door Wrangler Sport
Yes, my group in MA switched to FRS (GMRS shares many of the same channels) 3 years ago. Works well for us, even the hardware store blister pack ones, but I installed the Midland mXt275 mobile radio last year, IRL I get about a mile with the small stubby antenna.
GMRS definitely works better than simple FRS bubble pack radio - usually better made TX/RX, usually higher gain detachable antennas (illegal in pure FRS radios), higher output pwr in most cases. GMRS handheld radios will work all FRS channels - mobile high powered (50W) GMRS radios cannot transmit on low power FRS channels. The Wouxun series of handhelds are inexpensive for the lower end ones (KG805) which also support use with repeaters and have higher gain detachable antennas

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
GMRS definitely works better than simple FRS bubble pack radio - usually better made TX/RX, usually higher gain detachable antennas (illegal in pure FRS radios), higher output pwr in most cases. GMRS handheld radios will work all FRS channels - mobile high powered (50W) GMRS radios cannot transmit on low power FRS channels. The Wouxun series of handhelds are inexpensive for the lower end ones (KG805) which also support use with repeaters and have higher gain detachable antennas
https://donmontalvo.com/2021/11/03/midland-radio-vs-wouxun/
Sponsored