Sponsored

Genesis dual battery

Genesis Offroad

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 JK Rubicon, '18 JL Rubicon, '21 JT Rubicon
Interestingly, I just did an overnight test drive of the JLUR with the 2.2L Turbo Diesel here in Australia. Then today I was watching a review of the JL with 3.0 EcoDiesel. I'm not sure if it was the camera, but the battery and air intake seem switched on USA vs. Euro/AU JL!!! On the one I test drove, the battery (when standing in front of the jeep's open hood) is on the right, and the air intake on the left. (The EcoDiesel seemed to have battery on the left - USA passenger side - and air intake on the right - USA drivers side).

I'm getting very used to Jeep and suppliers not providing much support for AU/Euro models (we just lost availability to Punk'in Orange BEFORE any Gladiators were delivered here... bloody monkey's F$$^%$ that one for Australia buyers.... sighs... But lucky for us Australia has a VERY strong Jeep community and plenty of very talented businesses making great kit (RedArc, ARB, Patriot Campers etc).

So I can understand by Genesis cannot help you as much as you think they should, but as stated before routing and changing the length of battery and starter cables should not be that big of a deal if that's your only concern.

Cheers,
CaptStarboard
You are correct, the right hand drive version has the engine bay reversed. We got lucky with our right hand drive kit for the JK, we just flipped the whole tray around like a mirror image from the US version. Then SBR Offroad in Australia helped us fine tune the fitment of the fuse box, which was a big help since we do not have access to the right hand drive vehicles here either.
We have not had an opportunity to see the right hand drive JL yet, so I'm not sure yet if we can do the same thing to make a rhd version of the JL kit.
Sponsored

Dan789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler 2020
@SwissSteph

Not sure how you went with this, but I wouldn't use the Genesis system. In Aus, this system is outdated & old. There are far better options to run your dual battery steup.

I am just about to install a setup in my wifes Jl. I will be using a combination of the Redarc BCDC 25amp charger and a Victron solar charger & monitor.

I will be installing a Lithium 75amp hour battery in the rear. As this is where most of my accessories will be used (fridge, oven, lights etc..), the cable will run to these items will be shorter minimising voltage drop.
Besides the above, it is better to have your battery out from under the bonnet to remove it away from the heat of the engine bay. In my Nissan Patrol, I am just about to remove the starter battery from the engine bay to under the drivers seat and make it a Lithium, as I constantly see temps of close to 100 degrees under there. Those temps are absolute battery killers.

The Redarc & Victron come with really good instructions, and if you are into a little DIY, then I would suggest going down this path.

This will be happening in the new year so can post some pics when completed.

Thanks

Daniel

Genesis Offroad

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 JK Rubicon, '18 JL Rubicon, '21 JT Rubicon
Not sure what you mean by old and outdated. The Redarc dc-dc charger is great, but it does not do the same thing as our system. Our system is designed to let you run your accessories with the engine off without draining down your cranking battery. It also connects the batteries together to spread the demand across both batteries, which is helpful for high amp draw devices such as a winch, stereo amplifier, etc. Plus it gives you the ability to manually link the batteries together with the boost button to jump start yourself from the power in the second battery if your cranking battery is too low to start the engine for whatever reason. We also include power & ground bus bars to make it easy to connect accessories that need battery power, without having to stack up a bunch of ring terminals directly on the battery post clamp.
The Redarc device is just an on-board battery charger that helps to charge the batteries while the engine is running. One benefit is that it allows you to use different batteries, such as a traditional cranking battery and a lithium for accessories, which is great if you can afford a lithium battery. The Redarc charger is a complimentary add-on to our kit, not a competitive product. We may offer this as an optional add-on to our dual battery system in the future, then you can have the best of both worlds if you need it.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@Genesis Offroad what I would like to see is you find a way to mount the G screen without cutting a hole in the small amount of real estate that the JL has, I would love to add it to my current setup but as you are well aware of the JL has limited ways to mount it and if you guys designed some type of mount to hold the module display that would be great.

Did not mean to get off topic of the OP just putting a suggestion out there for you to consider, BTW your system saved my butt with having the boost.

OP
OP
SwissSteph

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
@Dan789

Thank you for your message!

My original idea was to be able to permanently remove the stupid little original inaccessible battery (I wonder what idiot had such an idea to put a second battery in that place), but without any desire for help from Genesis, I stopped wondering about this project which I definitively abandoned.

I don't want to have to buy parts from Genesis, plus the high shipping costs, customs duties and various taxes to see if this kit fits, or not, on a Jeep model with the 2.2 liter turbo diesel engine, engine sold all over Europe and Australia (among others) and this without more active help than a "you buy and you manage"!

Here's where I am...

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@SwissSteph you have to understand that the JL replaced the Jk and I’m sure you are aware it came out in 2018 so it’s still a relatively new design even though it’s a Jeep it’s still a all new Wrangler design, i to just hated where they put that baby battery and there are those here that say it’s easy to get to but a person should not have to either pull the PDC box or remove a fender flare and possibly break something to get to a battery that could have easily been located elsewhere on the Jeep.

There are lots of ways to bypass and or replace the ESS battery and they range anywhere from just moving a few cables to running a dual battery system like Genesis or similar but I guess it all comes down to what you want to spend and in your case being located where you are makes things difficult with import taxes and customs and when working with smaller company like Genesis on new designs the R&D is pretty expensive and his is mostly due to the JL being so new compared to the Jk that was the running game for years and years so every supplier out there has anything for a Jk and they will for a JL but it takes time

OP
OP
SwissSteph

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I understand, I had offered my help, asked for precise measurements to see if the 2.2 Diesel engine was at the same location as the 2.0 Gasoline, but always the same answer ... "you buy and you manage". That's why I dropped the idea of using this Genesis kit. No help or desire to help to advance their kit compatibility, I can't do better than giving my time for free, but it doesn't even seem to interest them, it's ok I understood.

Dan789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler 2020
Not sure what you mean by old and outdated. The Redarc dc-dc charger is great, but it does not do the same thing as our system. Our system is designed to let you run your accessories with the engine off without draining down your cranking battery. It also connects the batteries together to spread the demand across both batteries, which is helpful for high amp draw devices such as a winch, stereo amplifier, etc. Plus it gives you the ability to manually link the batteries together with the boost button to jump start yourself from the power in the second battery if your cranking battery is too low to start the engine for whatever reason. We also include power & ground bus bars to make it easy to connect accessories that need battery power, without having to stack up a bunch of ring terminals directly on the battery post clamp.
The Redarc device is just an on-board battery charger that helps to charge the batteries while the engine is running. One benefit is that it allows you to use different batteries, such as a traditional cranking battery and a lithium for accessories, which is great if you can afford a lithium battery. The Redarc charger is a complimentary add-on to our kit, not a competitive product. We may offer this as an optional add-on to our dual battery system in the future, then you can have the best of both worlds if you need it.
Im sorry that you feel offended by my post, but 20 years ago I had a similar system on my Nissan Patrol. This kit is a simple switching solenoid kit with a link button to join the batteries together. There does not seem to be any smarts in it. I coul not see a solar input into it either, but then again didn't look to hard.

Redarc sell a similar item to this on the lower end of their range, of which is just a simple solenoid switch that will separate the 2 batteries.

In my Patrol I have a Redarc manager 30 that lets me input 12v, 240v and solar. I can connect all up at the same time and the manager 30 will take from the best source, of which will be 24v, then solar then 12v car. When driving, I have permanent solar connected. It will take from this then top up with 12v from the vehicle battery.

As I stated, the Redarc is a far superior system that is readily available in Australia for a cheaper price and this is what I will be installing into my wifes JL. I was only suggesting to other users that their is better options out their than the kit you are selling.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@Dan789 I for one like the Genesis system, I have all my aux equipment connected to the full size aux battery and when parked with the ignition off I can draw on the power of both batteries until the main gets to 12.7 then they separate and I can continue to use the aux battery as long as it will last without fear of pulling the main down and most recently I was out in The woods and had my radio and lights on and ran the main down to the point it would not crank my Jeep and the simple push of a button got me back running and that one incident paid for itself.

Im sure you spend more time in the bush than i do as I see lots of Aussies running all sorts of Offroad mods that put the little mods I have to shame but the Genesis system for me was a huge upgrade that was readily available over the substandard stock system.

Dan789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler 2020
@Dan789 I for one like the Genesis system, I have all my aux equipment connected to the full size aux battery and when parked with the ignition off I can draw on the power of both batteries until the main gets to 12.7 then they separate and I can continue to use the aux battery as long as it will last without fear of pulling the main down and most recently I was out in The woods and had my radio and lights on and ran the main down to the point it would not crank my Jeep and the simple push of a button got me back running and that one incident paid for itself.

Im sure you spend more time in the bush than i do as I see lots of Aussies running all sorts of Offroad mods that put the little mods I have to shame but the Genesis system for me was a huge upgrade that was readily available over the substandard stock system.
WranglerMan, I am not trying to disparage anyone from purchasing any type of system, just stating that there are other options out there that can be a far superior system, if you are willing to put the time into it. I am glad that you have a system that works for you.
I do spend plenty of time in the bush and use plenty of power whilst out there. I run Lithium batteries and would never go back to using an AGM or lead acid battery again for by second battery.

ItsNo4RE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Willys/17 Ram 1500
You are correct, the right hand drive version has the engine bay reversed. We got lucky with our right hand drive kit for the JK, we just flipped the whole tray around like a mirror image from the US version. Then SBR Offroad in Australia helped us fine tune the fitment of the fuse box, which was a big help since we do not have access to the right hand drive vehicles here either.
We have not had an opportunity to see the right hand drive JL yet, so I'm not sure yet if we can do the same thing to make a rhd version of the JL kit.
hey guys, Can you please come out with this kit for the freaking 3.0 already?
Sponsored