First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Astronaut
I purchased solar panels for my home in Maryland for $36,000. After all of the Federal and State rebates I ended up paying $26,000. I did the research and my break even time will be in roughly 9 years. I then started thinking why not an EV for my personal vehicle. I am a self employed HVAC contractor so my days are in a 10,000 lb Ford Transit 3.2 powerstroke cutaway van. I purchased a Mustang Mach-E for $56,000 which qualified for a $7,500 tax credit. I purchased the vehicle in June 2021. Everything was absolutely amazing. 240+ miles on an 80% charge , I have a 240 volt 40 amp home charging station at my house. With the Solar Panels I was amazed with my new EV. I drove to Detroit and Louisville with my EV and while super charging was a tad inconvenient it wasn't unbearable. Although the cost at Electrify America seemed to vary widely. Along came the winter months and my range dropped to around 150 miles on a 80% charge. That's with a new extended range battery. I started thinking about battery degradation and knew I had to dump my EV asap. Luckily in our current auto market I sold it for $55,000 with 9k miles on it. So after the tax credit that I received I profited. In my driveway now sits a Rubicon EcoDiesel. I am all for EV vehicles but in my case and climate the technology isn't there. I can't imagine how you could own an EV anywhere the temperature drops below 20Ā°. My Rubicon doesn't care if it's 20Ā°outside it still provides warmth in the cabin without cutting my range in half.
This is really good real world experience. Thanks for sharing.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
It'll be interesting to see if the cold temperature issues are addressed as these evolve. Right now, these things will get people stranded and there's likely to be an attrition price on human life. These city politicians and tree huggers can't see the forest because their big green lips are flapping.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
It'll be interesting to see if the cold temperature issues are addressed as these evolve. Right now, these things will get people stranded and there's likely to be an attrition price on human life. These city politicians and tree huggers can't see the forest because their big green lips are flapping.
Do you really think politicians care about that ā€œpriceā€! ā€” They arenā€™t looking for the forest when flapping symbolism over substance for the emotional effect on their targeted audience either!

Sponsored

blkout50

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
I think you are looking at this problem all wrong. Vehicles are a tool to get you from point A to point B. Donā€™t worry about the depreciation of ICE vehicles. Vehicles with ICE, PHEV and EVā€™s will depreciate. Nothing that we can do about it.

Where you should focus is on investing in the markets that support the current and future energy infrastructure. The Government is going to spend trillions of dollars on the energy infrastructure to support their agenda. A lot of people will profit (get rich) from all this money. The profits you earn will more than offset the depreciation losses you will take on vehicles with ICE, PHEV and EV.

JEEPmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys 2dr
How much is an electric vehicle worth in 5 - 10 years? Fiat 500 electrics in the us went to the landfill soon after the warranty period was up, or were worthless because the price of replacement batteries exceeded the value of the car.

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
100% agree. Between EV prices and our lacking infrastructure, it will take much longer than 2030.
I'm considering a PHEV/ EV Jeep for my "Next Jeep", but I don't see EV's becoming commonplace for a while.
And when you consider the term "carbon footprint" was more or less created to shift the responsibility to the individual consumer while various industries still consume copious amounts of fossil fuel and turn out exponentially more pollution than consumer vehicles- There are plenty of other areas that can tighten up first where we will see far more positive impact first. Because(as mentioned) there are plenty of people who can't afford EV/PHEV's even if they're used and have no other preferences.
Agreed! The point that some people arenā€™t getting when we talk about environment is that we only have one earth šŸŒ one environment! So when you want to implement changes we are all gonna need to get onboard or realistically you ainā€™t improving shit to be honest!! When president trump pulled out of that all Paris climate change agreement is simply cause we were cutting back while other countries who werenā€™t part of the agreement were polluting and we were paying out the ass for stuff that they were producing for Pennieā€™s on the dollar cause of our restrictions here in the states šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
In terms of efficiency, not MPG but purely how much energy of the fuel makes it to the road vs being lost as heat and waste ICE engines have nothing on electricity.

ICE engines loose a massive amount of the energy in gasoline to wasted heat and friction.

But pound for pound even with that waste gasoline goes much furtherā€¦ itā€™s simply far mor energy dense.

Once batteries come close to the energy density of gasoline there just wonā€™t be any competition. When will that happen? Dunno. But itā€™s being worked on. Charging is limited by the heat in the copper. But even that has solutions.

Itā€™s not a question of if electricity will replace ICE. Itā€™s when.

This vid goes into energy densityā€¦ but not efficiency. So batteries donā€™t need to get as close in density to match gasoline because they are markedly more efficient.

for instance he points out one gallon of gas has the energy of the entire first Nissan Leaf batter pack. That actually impressive from an electricity efficiency standpoint that the leaf could go as far as it could on essentially a gallon of gas.

My way of saying yes, Ice will be obsolete. Not if. Itā€™s when. But when is probably a while due mainly to cost and infrastructure.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
i find it very interesting that Saudi Arabia is investing as heavily in EVs as they have.
When I was growing up, there were rumors of the 200mpg carb you could put on your car. When nobody could get one the conspiracy was, The Saudis bought him out because they wanted to keep selling oil.

Only if I had that 200mph carb because if I could have added the fuel line magnets and the tornado for the intake, I'd have a 250mpg Jeep.

Sponsored

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Solar panels are the least efficient form of electricity. Just like Electric vehicles the government is pushing them and adding rebates to make people buy them. The most efficient is nuclear, and they Hydro. Solar panels are horrible looking and a complete waste of money. To me they are like electric vehicles. Look at me, I'm saving the environment.

OP
OP
av8or

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
How much is an electric vehicle worth in 5 - 10 years? Fiat 500 electrics in the us went to the landfill soon after the warranty period was up, or were worthless because the price of replacement batteries exceeded the value of the car.
Have you priced used teslas lately?
All of the fiat 500s are garbage when they exit the factory EV or not.

Sublime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella Rubicon
Agreed! The point that some people arenā€™t getting when we talk about environment is that we only have one earth šŸŒ one environment! So when you want to implement changes we are all gonna need to get onboard or realistically you ainā€™t improving shit to be honest!! When president trump pulled out of that all Paris climate change agreement is simply cause we were cutting back while other countries who werenā€™t part of the agreement were polluting and we were paying out the ass for stuff that they were producing for Pennieā€™s on the dollar cause of our restrictions here in the states šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

When "getting onboard" is not just supporting a money grab by people politically connected to Big Green you might sway some opinions. Til then, it's obvious who's benefiting and it isn't us or the planet.

rayvonp

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler 4xe, 2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Truck Driver
The more people who have icemakers in their houses will see the cost of bags of ice go down in price. I am an old fashion guy prefer to fill the ice cube trays and put them in the freezer and twisting them to crack them to have that satisfying feeling if ice falling into my cup.

Last edited:

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I dumped a pristine 2018 JLU in November for a 4xe.

I pretty much got what I paid for it, got the 4xe for 5% under MSRP.

I am mostly city, I used to get about 400km per tank.

Now for every 1,000km on free electric, I do 200km on paid gas at close to $6USD a gallon.

I do not have a charger since I live in a condo, but there are a couple of free chargers nearby that I top up, moist of my trips are around 10-12km or 30-40% battery.

Ideally life would be cheaper and simpler if I had a full blown EV rather than a PHEV, but that means I would not be driving a Wrangler, and I tried that scheme a couple of times in the past and regretted it when I saw a Wrangler.

Gas will only keep going up in Canada at least, so it really doesn't make sense for me to use an ICE anymore.
Sponsored