t0ene3

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Anyone using the part number
82215184 with your 2019 key fob? Contacted a selller on eBay and they claim it can’t be coded to a 2019 key. I have a 2019 Moab if they matters. Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Looking for a gas cap with a lock. What are you guys using? Thanks
Yes have the Mopar one that I had local locksmith key alike to key in fob. Works great as to many red necks want to trash Jeeps.

Tannerdc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7 upgraded (?) to a 2020 JLUR
Honest ? and totally ignorant on my part....why do I want a locking gas cap? I haven't ever had a locking gas cap on any car. I'm always up for a mod, but someone please help me change a "want" to a "need".

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Honest ? and totally ignorant on my part....why do I want a locking gas cap? I haven't ever had a locking gas cap on any car. I'm always up for a mod, but someone please help me change a "want" to a "need".
40 years ago there was a gas crisis and no cars had locking fuel caps. It was common for people to steal/siphon gas and I had my tank drained once. Plus some people would put items such as sugar in a gas tank to foul a car. Then all manufacturers began to at least put fuel doors which required a release from inside the vehicle to prevent. Gas siphoning also occurred the last time fuel averaged $4 across the US though at a much lower rate due to vehicles having fuel release doors.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Must of the cars I owned had a gas door which basically locked the gas cap area via a lever in a locked car. I noted that my JLR did not have a locking gas door so next best thing. As for here, the local low life's get envy of someone stuff if shinny and new. So they steal it or wreck it with sugar in the gas tank.

Go figure. You must live in a safe place where people value others people and property. Sounds like Mayberry USA.

Sponsored

Tannerdc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7 upgraded (?) to a 2020 JLUR
Ha...def not Mayberry! Thanks for the replies, for the price of a locked cap, I may have a new mod for the list!

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I bought a Molar cap with a separate key. It's on my Fob, so no big deal to unlock the cap.
Since I get such great mileage with my 2.0 T, its "easy"

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Ha...def not Mayberry! Thanks for the replies, for the price of a locked cap, I may have a new mod for the list!
Don’t forget to add the $35 for the locksmith. That really makes it worth it. Looking at four low reply and he just got the standard key which is just too many keys from me.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not using a lock for my gas cap or hood and so far no one has stolen a thing but then I don’t live in a bad area either

Sponsored

OP
OP

t0ene3

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Thanks I found one on eBay for $70 and they are going to look up vin and code it for me before they ship it.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Don't most vehicles now a day have filters and or screens in the filler neck of the gas tank making stealing gas almost impossible through normal means?

Gron86

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
A locking gas cap never made much sense to me. None of my other cars have one and all previous car I’ve owned throughout the years didn’t either. Why would I need one on my Jeep all of a sudden. Do vandals and criminals only target jeeps? ‍♂
Plus if someone really wants to steal or contaminate your fuel they will do it with or without a locking cap.
Sponsored