First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I may be alone here, but to me having a dinky spare, on an otherwise beefy rig, looks like “high water” pants with 6” of ankle showing. I do double-takes when I see either one. But…if an owner likes that look, it’s their Jeep. That said, I have trouble believing it’s anything but an I-ran-short-of-funding situation, especially when you are counting on your Jeep to get you back to civilization.
Sponsored

Maverickxeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, 2002 TJ Sport
On my TJ (with 35s), I bought four new tires, and then found an old spare on marketplace and ran that. On all of my vehicles I almost never buy five tires - I just buy 4 new, and then if I need a spare, I'll buy a used one. I rarely actually 'mile out' my tires - they often die due to rot. I've only ever needed a spare tire 2 times in my life - and both times were my fault.

My way of looking at spare tires is that they are nice to have - but not $500 worth nice to have. I'd rather spend less on a spare and more on my main tires.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
To all you matching tire purists, what happens when you ruin a tire and the remaining 4 have 10% tread worn off? Do you buy a new set of 5 tires so you can have your perfect matching set? What about 30% wear? At what point do you toss 4 good worn tires and buy a new set of 5? 33%, 40%?
That happened to me.. I simply posted a message online asking for someone in my off-roading group to donate a tire... I had many offers that day... I kept it as spare and resorted to 4 tire rotation until it was time to buy a "purist" set of 5 tires... LOL
Sponsored