Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
For those who have the Trailrax, can you highlight exactly how it attaches? Looks like it's kinda clamping to the rain gutter but what is doing at the bottom?

I've tried expanding pics on their site but I'm still unclear. I wish they had a downloadable instruction sheet but I'm not finding one. Any owners still have the instructions?

Thanks!

@shacdaddy @RastaPasta

elzy0000

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 VW Golf R
For those who have the Trailrax, can you highlight exactly how it attaches? Looks like it's kinda clamping to the rain gutter but what is doing at the bottom?

I've tried expanding pics on their site but I'm still unclear. I wish they had a downloadable instruction sheet but I'm not finding one. Any owners still have the instructions?

Thanks!

@shacdaddy @RastaPasta

This video shows it pretty clearly at about 1:20. Ive seen it with a Yakima Road shower attached too.

overcrawler

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
How much fuel are we talking?

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
??? The plate I made is a point to attach your mount and can. Pictured is a 3.5 ga fuelpax can....if that question was being asked of me.
That was directed to OP.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
It feels really solid. I haven't gone on any long-distance trips with them yet, but I'm headed out to CO/UT in a couple months so we'll really see what it's made of. So far, so good though!
Have you gone on your trip and, if so, how did this system hold up? Thoughts, positives, negatives?

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I have the TrailRax Pak Rax...easy install and very sturdy. https://trailrax.com/shop/jlpakrax/
Another vote for the Trail Rax, it's a little pricey, but a pretty sweet setup. I was going to go with a tailgate setup, but depending on how you mount it, if you go with larger tires it may not fit there anymore whereas the Trail Rax will work with any setup that includes a hardtop.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fuel Storage Options 20180901_161657
Folks:

I am looking to buy this system but I am also looking for some “long-term” reviews. Have either of you taken this system, loaded with liquid, on the freeway at 70+? Have you also bumped it down the trail? Pros? Cons? would you buy again? If not, why not?

There is one video on the web suggesting that it scratches the hardtop paint. Did you experience?
im assuming that it stays very secure, but have you experienced any loosening up or any concern about the stability of the mount over time?

i think this is a great system for me but I would really like to hear from those who already have it. Any help would be great!

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
A bit off topic. What are the risks involved in carrying flammable/explosive fuel on the back of a Jeep? Has anyone seen/heard of accidents while carrying extra fuel?

gsxr310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
A bit off topic. What are the risks involved in carrying flammable/explosive fuel on the back of a Jeep? Has anyone seen/heard of accidents while carrying extra fuel?
It’s more risky carrying fuel in SxS/UTVs as the motors/exhaust are more exposed. For jeeps, not so much a problem. Just need to vent (rotopax style) frequently especially in elevation changes.

sportsguy

First Name
duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JLU Rubicon w/a snail
Occupation
Marketing
Folks:

I am looking to buy this system but I am also looking for some “long-term” reviews. Have either of you taken this system, loaded with liquid, on the freeway at 70+? Have you also bumped it down the trail? Pros? Cons? would you buy again? If not, why not?

There is one video on the web suggesting that it scratches the hardtop paint. Did you experience?
im assuming that it stays very secure, but have you experienced any loosening up or any concern about the stability of the mount over time?

i think this is a great system for me but I would really like to hear from those who already have it. Any help would be great!
I'm in EXACTLY this same boat.

We did 70 miles in death Valley NP yesterday. Hardly challenging on Saline Rd, as our mildly lifted, aggressively-tired Rubicon did the first half in 2wd. (Tires aired at 39 psi - so not really aired down at all...)

When we reached the half-way point and began to back track (our plan was an in-out run to test the new suspension (installed the day before) and new tires (installed 2 days prior), and see a bit of the back country.

Saline Rd isn't difficult by any means, BUT, it's rough in parts - like 3 mph or things are bouncing around like crazy, rough. Sandy bits, rocks, broken, ancient asphalt, ruts, washboard - it's all there. One minute you're doing 50 mph through the desert, the next it's 8 mph picking your way around rocks and over washouts.

And at maximum desolation, I decided to add a set of these racks for added fuel capacity. One video I watched on a white Rubicon, the scratching was clearly because the guy kept sliding metal on paint - his lack of skill installing them is what made the scratches happen - so I'm not really concerned about that one individual's experience with paint issues. ;)

What does concern me is... static v. dynamic weight management. And is the fiberglass of the drip rails and bottom edge of our hardtops going to handle the weight of the rack and fuel with long-term, actual offroad use? I'm 100% certain it WILL work...for a time.

I'm less concerned about snagging the rotopax on things. The Jeep is wider at the mirrors, and frankly, if it's THAT close on the trail, I'm probably already looking for a bypass anyway. ;) Nothing to prove, and exploring is exploring, I figure.

Bigger issue is loss on the sight-lines over my right shoulder when driving if I block that window. I prefer more open sight lines - again, a personal call.

But the single biggest issue I have is my recollection that there is a fairly small weight limit for mounting racks on our drip rails, and if these clamps hold only on the fiberglass, this solution is in the same boat as a roof rack, I think. Not that I need these racks to hold hundreds of pounds, obviously, but repeated stress of metal against fiberglass will see the fiberglass fail at some point.

If these mounted up and under the hardtop, to the body of the Jeep, this whole thing would be moot and take my money!!! :)

For now, I may go the Draco mount and carry a bit less extra fuel. But hey, if someone has real world experience, that would be ideal!!! :)
Sponsored