Sponsored

Front collision detection and random panic stop.

darmano

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK, 2019 JKUR (on order)
The braking alert has happened to me as well - in a parking garage, on the up ramp and on a bridge. It didn't stop me, because it must have cleared.
Sponsored

garfieldtcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon
I've had the same happen with mine. I get random collision warnings when there's nothing there fairly regularly but it only stood on the brakes for me once. That was when I was changing lanes and the car in front came to a sudden stop. I still had plenty of room to move over and was never in danger of hitting them, but ended up stopped half way between both lanes. I wasn't too impressed with that but I like the system and keep it turned on.

Back when I lived in a Boston a few years ago, I heard stories of auto braking systems causing accidents because they would see steam coming out of the manholes and jam on the brakes. I hope the more modern systems don't have that problem anymore. And I live in Vegas now, so there's no steam to worry about.

For those on the fence about ordering the advanced safety group, you can turn the auto braking and collision warning system off completely if you want to. I paid the money mostly for adaptive cruise and IMHO it was worth every penny!

cdhd2

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I had once time when it slammed on the brakes, I was in a left turn lane and the car in front of me slowed for a u-turn, I had plenty of clearance go go around, but the brakes just slammed on. Scared the crap out of. I get the warning light and sound in situations like that, but only the braking once. I got the message without braking once going up a parking lot incline.

Last week it was raining pretty hard, I had the wipers on full time, just below full speed, and the emergency braking alarm kept going off. I was on a busy road and I was terrified the brakes were going to slam on before I could get off the road and turn off the setting. Luckily it never braked, because that would have definitely caused me to get rear ended.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
All it takes is 1 incident where it DOES save you
I don't have it on my JL, but have had it in my previous 2 Hondas. You are right in that it can help avoid an accident... and that 1 time could make all the difference. On the other hand what if it CAUSES an accident? I was in a left turn lane behind a car that was making a U-turn. As I approached it sensed the slower vehicle and braked hard. The vehicle was easily going to clear before I got there, but the computer decided it wasn't moving and wanted to stop the truck. Had someone been behind me it would have likely hit, as it was I nearly had to floor it to override the locked brakes. As a result I have very mixed feelings about automatic braking (as well as ACC). But with the Jeep I'll just roll over anything that stops in front ;)

Sponsored

Lolo5000

First Name
Lowell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Moab Edition, Jeep Compass
Yes! Full brakes from about 8mph.
Good to know it made a full stop. I get random alerts occasionally and wondered why it gave a huge sound and displayed BRAKE but didn’t actually stop. And I wasn’t going to intentionally test the feature. Good to know

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
As with many of the autonomous features on current vehicles there are limitations as to what it can/can't do. Unfortunately one of the things it "can't do" is be predictive (to a point), or evaluate what traffic is doing. The auto stop is a good feature to help prevent rear end collisions, but it has it's flaws as plenty of posts have noted.
Many of the driver assist features are relatively new (the last 10 years or so). Similar to air bags and ABS in their infancy, they've got a ways to go before they work out the issues.
Overall, I think the auto stop is a pretty good feature. I have to agree with the others though that the better feature is the adaptive cruise.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Good to know it made a full stop. I get random alerts occasionally and wondered why it gave a huge sound and displayed BRAKE but didn’t actually stop. And I wasn’t going to intentionally test the feature. Good to know
That is an alert, where the computer has determined that you still have to to brake yourself and avoid a collision. It only locks the brakes when it determines there's not enough time for you to hear/see the alert, perceive it, move your foot to the brake, smash the pedal and get stopped in time.
Basically the brake message and tone are a precursor to the auto stop. If the threat remains with no driver input the bakes will follow.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I had this happen on my 2015 Grand Cherokee. A car ahead of me was exiting the freeway on an offramp but my car assumed he was slowing down in front on me and slammed on the brakes on the freeway.
The system on the Wrangler should never do this. According to what I read at least, it will only apply brakes for you at speed under 30mph. If you're going over 30mph, it will alert you, and if you hit the brakes at that time, it will apply them fully. But it will not brake until you hit the pedal.

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
So I have a 2019 JLUR with all the safety stuff. Today in a parking garage I was just going up a ramp and it blared an alert and auto brakes kicked in hard, scared me quite a bit. Has anyone else had any issues with this? I’ve since turned off the auto brake portion of it and just have it alert.
Same thing happened to me. Scared the heck out of me.

I am already sick of all the bells, chimes,and warnings. I’m a Luddite.
Has this issue reoccurred for you? I am going to try to turn off the auto braking...... it seems it can’t be trusted.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Happened to me on the highway moving at 25mph with nothing that should have caused it to slam on the brakes. I reviewed the dashcam to verify and turned off the active brak9ng feature.
I had a Subaru with eyesight that was much better and only warned and engaged twice (with understandable cause.)

OP
OP
Rploaded

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Same thing happened to me. Scared the heck out of me.

I am already sick of all the bells, chimes,and warnings. I’m a Luddite.
Has this issue reoccurred for you? I am going to try to turn off the auto braking...... it seems it can’t be trusted.
It only happens very very occasionally in parking garages.

telix

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I have had this happen in a parking garage also
Sponsored