Sponsored

Forward collision warning (FCW) and automatic emergency breaking (AEB) malfunction??

omi205

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Thanks for the heads up. Ill make sure to not get this package when I order.

nle

First Name
Nov
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I’m surprised to read a lot of this. I have mine and and I have the active braking option selected however I’ve never experienced the emergency braking. I will get the occasional loud warning, usually in two different circumstances. First is if I’m coming up to a line of cars without slowing down but know I’ll be heading into a left turn lane and the second is during torrential downpours. I have my sensitivity set to medium. I have thought about the whole slam on the brakes manual transmission thing but how close do you have to get for this thing to hit the brakes? Makes me wonder if those of you having this trigger on you start to brake super late because as far as I know, it’ll only kick on automatic braking if you’re still on the gas or coasting and closing quickly. If you have any pressure on the brake, no matter how close you come, it won’t brake for you because the purpose of this feature is to ease the damage in an accident, not prevent it (as in a full stop Subaru or Volvo).
I tend to agree with this statement, I'm not sure if this is true but hopefully someone can validate. I have mine set to automatic emergency braking at farthest distance for safety purposes and I've came very close to rear-ending a car once due to heavy rain. I'm not sure if the car will actually brake unless your foot is on the accelerator. When I'm coasting or gently braking, it doesn't seem to trigger even when I'm very close and approaching the car ahead of me.

I hope someone with knowledge of the technical system can confirm.

Sponsored

Papi4baby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
They need to push this issue up to engineering something is obviously not working as it “should”

@JeepCares

dms541

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
@JeepCares I can confirm this issue has happened to me multiple times as well. I'm driving a manual JLU Sahara. The last straw that made me turn the active braking off was after it nearly caused a wreck in my normal parking garage.

Most frequently it would happen when someone in front of me was making a right turn. If I keep going at my current speed then I would miss them as they would already have left the roadway, but the car seemed to disagree and would emergency stop. On a few occasions this would result in a stall depending on how fast I can get my foot on the clutch. On other occasions the braking would engage with heavy shadow contrast. I remember thinking to myself how incredibly dangerous this "safety" feature is before I turned it off. Wasted money and should probably be removed from the options list.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
They need to push this issue up to engineering something is obviously not working as it “should”

@JeepCares
@JeepCares I can confirm this issue has happened to me multiple times as well. I'm driving a manual JLU Sahara. The last straw that made me turn the active braking off was after it nearly caused a wreck in my normal parking garage.

Most frequently it would happen when someone in front of me was making a right turn. If I keep going at my current speed then I would miss them as they would already have left the roadway, but the car seemed to disagree and would emergency stop. On a few occasions this would result in a stall depending on how fast I can get my foot on the clutch. On other occasions the braking would engage with heavy shadow contrast. I remember thinking to myself how incredibly dangerous this "safety" feature is before I turned it off. Wasted money and should probably be removed from the options list.
Hi Papi4baby and dms541,
We regret to hear about both of your experiences. The way that our team communicates with the appropriate internal teams is by making cases. Please feel free to send us a PM and we can have this documented for you.
Alex
JeepCares

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
@JeepCares

I notice the "BRAKE" warning comes on also, when you're driving through an overpass, or under a bridge. The system isn't smart enough to discern that the object isn't a vehicle. Is there a fix or calibration for this?

I currently have the system to ALERT only, and disabled the emergency braking.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
What does the alert sound like? Is it 3 loud beeps? I’ve heard this alert twice, the first time it really startled me, had no idea why it went off.

Sponsored

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
What does the alert sound like? Is it 3 loud beeps? I’ve heard this alert twice, the first time it really startled me, had no idea why it went off.
It sounds like a single beep, with a brake textual alert on your Dash. If you have active brake assist enabled it’ll engage the brakes for you, possibly bringing you to a dead stop. (Dangerous a f)

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@JeepCares

I notice the "BRAKE" warning comes on also, when you're driving through an overpass, or under a bridge. The system isn't smart enough to discern that the object isn't a vehicle. Is there a fix or calibration for this?

I currently have the system to ALERT only, and disabled the emergency braking.
Hi Ricky,
I would be happy to look for any TSBs. Please send us a PM with your VIN.
Alex
JeepCares

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Yikes that’s scary. What does the warning sound like?
i dont have the fcw set up. but mine sounds like yelling OH $hit. so far that havent happen yet.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
My Jeep and it’s FCW do not like parking garages. Heading up the “up ramp” at maybe 5-10 mph, NOTHING around me, and WHAM, brakes deploy and tires squeal to a stop. Scared the heck out of me and my wife.

Next morning, I deactivated auto braking. I don’t need stress caused by faulty AI in my life and I certainly don’t need to spend $50k to be a beta tester for crappy software.
Sponsored