Front camera worth it?

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
For serious rock crawling, it's a must. It's so important that I'm ordering a 2023 JLUR because I didn't know how essential it is to crawling when I ordered my 2021 JLR. I searched in this forum before buying and all I found was how great it is for youtube videos, no mention of how useful it is when crawling. I have this camera which is far superior to nothing but nothing like the factor high resolution camera, that's why I'm getting a new Rubicon.
Agree 100%. I clear certain obstacles using only the forward facing camera plenty of times on Trails in Moab. Places where out the windshield all I can see is sky, or I can’t see my spotter due to the angle I’m coming down etc.
Sponsored

RubiGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I have it on my Jeep .. I could take it or leave it for off-roading, but it does help with parking or getting into tight spots.

if you do get it, I highly recommend adding it to your favourites on the bottom portion of the touch screen, this way you won’t forget about it and you don’t have to go through another menu.

beast40

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Its been covered but when you nose is in the air it can be extremely useful. Also nice for parking in the garage.

Sponsored

Paulcardona

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU SAHARA 2023
My dealer says you can´t order the camera after they delivered the car without it. It´s this true? So i have to go with the aftermarket options?

BrentMG

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
I looked into it when I was pricing out a build. Don't like the fact you have to get LEDs with it to order it. Also, don't like the fact it is now an $800 option. Will most likely go aftermarket.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
Oct 2021, I ordered a 2022 JLUR. Price back then was $536 for the integrated off road camera. Well worth the price and I use it often.

The tire guide lines move with steering wheel input just like they do with the reverse camera showing where the tires will be during a turn.

The video quality is outstanding (both front and rear cameras). The front tracks are very accurate when I have to squeeze between the sharp rocks out here in the desert. Look how much better the camera colors are compared to the actual dull desert rock colors viewed thru the windshield (zoom in on pic).

Jeep Wrangler JL Front camera worth it? 8FB3A79C-BED8-47F1-94DB-8FB8E7CB7BDE

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
I don't use mine much when off road- the view is pretty wide angle so the distance perspective is sort of odd and you're not going to use it to successfully pick a complicated surgical line. I will say that in Moab it was amazing- when seeing nothing but blue sky through the windshield, (and maybe your spotter) I found it really comforting and useful to know what was ahead of me.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Oct 2021, I ordered a 2022 JLUR. Price back then was $536 for the integrated off road camera. Well worth the price and I use it often.

The tire guide lines move with steering wheel input just like they do with the reverse camera showing where the tires will be during a turn.

The video quality is outstanding (both front and rear cameras). The front tracks are very accurate when I have to squeeze between the sharp rocks out here in the desert. Look how much better the camera colors are compared to the actual dull desert rock colors viewed thru the windshield (zoom in on pic).

Jeep Wrangler JL Front camera worth it? 8FB3A79C-BED8-47F1-94DB-8FB8E7CB7BDE
It is a really cool feature, as it's the next best thing to having a spotter when your roaming around solo.

The only potential downside is for those who will lift their Jeep and add larger tires. Any change to the height of the camera will throw off the accuracy of the dynamic lines. I found this with my reverse camera immediately after changing ride height. The image remains useful, but the reference lines do not.

Again, only a downside to those who don't keep their Jeep stock.

Sponsored

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
that is why I go by the saying "have it and not need it then to need and not have"

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
It wouldn't be a deal maker or breaker for me. I added one for those nose in the air moments and find it easier to see if I just stick my head out the window and follow the tracks. I find the perspective is off just enough to have little confidence in the view. Serious crawling requires a spotter.
Sponsored