Front camera option worth it?

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL
Does anyone have experience with the front camera? I'll be ordering a new JL soon and I'm considering getting the front camera. Is it worth the money? My main concern is when you're climbing a steep hill and all you can see is the sky is that what you are going to see on the camera or will you be able to see the trail?
It’s not clear to me if you can add the front camera setup to an older (2020) JL and have work just like it would have if OEM—view through the 8.4 screen, as an app. (I guess), etc.

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
https://reversecamera.com/products/2019-jeep-wrangler-jl-7-hd-front-side-camera-input-module

Here is something that in theory looks promising if you want a front camera or even more additional cameras. Silverblkrilla saw this and mentioned it in another thread. I’ve just sent them a note for more info to see if they will give me install instructions and how it interfaces with the screen.

Ill let everyone know if they respond.

Scott
Once you’ve got it installed and working flawlessly on your Jeep let me know when you’d like me to drop mine off for you to get the install performed on mine. Thanks Scott.

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep wrangler rubicon diesel
Does anyone have experience with the front camera? I'll be ordering a new JL soon and I'm considering getting the front camera. Is it worth the money? My main concern is when you're climbing a steep hill and all you can see is the sky is that what you are going to see on the camera or will you be able to see the trail?
I have the front facing cam on my JLU and I honestly love it.
It points downwards and I use it when I'm cresting a peak or breaking over. It definitely helps. It's also useful with tire placement as it has a tread path layout that bends with the steering. I also love that it has a "wash" feature to spray off mud, I really wish the rear camera had that feature!

My biggest grip if I had to say is that it doesn't stay on, and I really wish that when you're turning around on a tight trail there was a way to get it to come on automatically when switching from reverse to drive as you go back and forth.

There is a fix for the camera timing out and shutting off however. It shuts off either by timer or by speed (above a certain speed it won't allow you to turn it on). That all being said, the jl tazer mini has an unlock feature that allows you to turn it on at any speed and stay on. I don't personally have it yet, but with that benefit alone it's almost worth the cost. Add in all the other features it's worth the 500 dollars (Canadian dollars for me).

Hope this helps

Sponsored

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
I have a Tazer. What camera did you get and where did you mount it?
I bought the camera from Z Automotive (Tazer). It has clips that attach to the grill mesh in the center opening up high. Hard to see, but it's there.

Jeep Wrangler JL Front camera option worth it? 20201202_123328

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I bought the camera from Z Automotive (Tazer). It has clips that attach to the grill mesh in the center opening up high. Hard to see, but it's there.

Jeep Wrangler JL Front camera option worth it? 20201202_123328

What does the view look like with your bumper/winch setup?

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
What does the view look like with your bumper/winch setup?
The hoop does show up, but it's not bad. I may end up mounting the camera lower once I get out west again this summer.

Pieman1963

First Name
Thad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I have it on my new 21 JLU Rubicon. Haven’t used it off road yet but I believe, by my research, that where it’s located(center top in grill) that it will be quite a help to me.

Sponsored

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 2021 JLURD "The Big D"
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Supervisor, Air Traffic Control. RETIRED at 51 baby!!!
I have the factory OEM integrated trail camera. But I screwed things up by adding the Mopar grille guard and the Mopar 7" LED off road lights onto the grille guard. All of these components are very good quality, however they don't play well together. That is, the off road lights are mounted on the grille guard and the grille guard block most of the view of the downward aimed trail cam. I have to figure something out so I can have the off road lights that don't block the camera's view.
That's exactly what I have to install sitting here when get my JLURD. Any chance you could take a picture of what's displayed on the screen?

I saw somewhere someone mounted the lights directly onto the bumper without the bar. I wonder if that would help? But seeing what you see on your's will benifit as to what I will do. 'THANKS!!

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
That's exactly what I have to install sitting here when get my JLURD. Any chance you could take a picture of what's displayed on the screen?

I saw somewhere someone mounted the lights directly onto the bumper without the bar. I wonder if that would help? But seeing what you see on your's will benifit as to what I will do. 'THANKS!!
No, because I removed the grille guard and lights. I mounted the off road lights directly to the factory steel front bumper so now the camera has an unobstructed view.

Before, I could see the back side of the grille guard, and the back side of the off road lights which left about a 20% view of the trail ahead.

20210131_142010 (1).jpg

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
No, because I removed the grille guard and lights. I mounted the off road lights directly to the factory steel front bumper so now the camera has an unobstructed view.

Before, I could see the back side of the grille guard, and the back side of the off road lights which left about a 20% view of the trail ahead.
Maybe it was your JL I saw the lights mounted directly to the bar. Since you've done just that, are you happy with that? Just one of the bolt holes that the bar would have used?

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Maybe it was your JL I saw the lights mounted directly to the bar. Since you've done just that, are you happy with that? Just one of the bolt holes that the bar would have used?
I did not use any of the 4 bolt holes for the Mopar grille guard mounting for the mounting of my lights. The off road lights would have still been too far inward and would still block the view of the camera. I have removed my outer bumper extensions and I mounted the off road lights direct to one of the most outer bolts. See photo.

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I did not use any of the 4 bolt holes for the Mopar grille guard mounting. The off road lights would have been too far inward and would still block the view of the camera. I have removed my outer bumper extensions and I mounted the off road lights direct to one of the outer bolts. See photo.
Ah right! I didn't see the photo when I first saw the response. Thanks!
Sponsored