Freedom Panels Only

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Idk, it looks like the indents in the sound bar look like they're there to allow the latches to reach the back portion of the hard top. I don't think the freedom panels would be very secure without it.
@BeeLDub

Yes, after that still pic you posted, I agree that it probably is not doable to use the freedom panels with the hardtop off.

Indeed, it looks like those indents in the sound bar are there to allow the latches/locks to get to the hardtop and lock.
Sponsored

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I just went out to my JLU and took this photo. The black tab that the freedom panel latch swivels under is attached to the sound bar, NOT the rear hard top. With the rear piece of the hard top gone all 3 latches + the front clip of the freedom panels still have their anchor points, so I see no issue with running the freedom panels without the rest of the top.

IMG_2923.jpg

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I have the hardtop. I may be understanding your question wrong, but there are no screws involved with the freedom panels. The panels are just attached by four clips that need to be swung away from the frame. Takes about 10 seconds to do that and lift the panels out.
OK maybe the video I saw was one of the pre production press models they were reviewing. Possibly had one setup for another country like we have seen with the Rubicon hoods or it was something that was removed in final production? I can look for the video but there is no point where as you all own one and there is nothing other than the latches.

Sorry for the confusion.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
I just went out to my JLU and took this photo. The black tab that the freedom panel latch swivels under is attached to the sound bar, NOT the rear hard top. With the rear piece of the hard top gone all 3 latches + the front clip of the freedom panels still have their anchor points, so I see no issue with running the freedom panels without the rest of the top.

IMG_2923.jpg

Well, with this important tidbit of info, I'd say yes, you can ride with the hard top off and the Freedom Panels in place. Or even just one Freedom Panel in place at that matter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cody6597

Cody6597

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Freedom Panels.jpeg
Haven't tried it yet but the freedom tops do not attach in any way to the hard top.

Sponsored

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
Well, with this important tidbit of info, I'd say yes, you can ride with the hard top off and the Freedom Panels in place. Or even just one Freedom Panel in place at that matter.
Sorry in advance if anyone thinks this is a dumb question but is there any concern about the aerodynamics of not taking the whole top off. For instance if it is possible to remove the rear hardtop and put the freedom panels back on and a wind gust gets under it, could it do damage to the latches?

A.B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
totalled 2007 JKU Sahara
The freedom panels on the JK had a little tab, about the size of a domino, that you could flip down to take the space of the lip of the rear part of the hard top. Is that there on the JL freedom panels? If so, I would be 99% sure that you could run them alone.

OP
OP
Cody6597

Cody6597

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry in advance if anyone thinks this is a dumb question but is there any concern about the aerodynamics of not taking the whole top off. For instance if it is possible to remove the rear hardtop and put the freedom panels back on and a wind gust gets under it, could it do damage to the latches?
Haven't tried it yet but as soon as I do I will let you all know unless someone else chimes in.

Sponsored

SUP N

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Haven't tried it yet but as soon as I do I will let you all know unless someone else chimes in.
Sorry to revive such an old thread. I drove on I-80 today with no hardtop but the freedom panels on. They attach in 3 out of 4 spots (the latch closest to the door doesn't attach without the hardtop as far as I can tell). Anyway I drove 70-75phm for over 40 miles without issue. There were also 30mph winds and everything was secure and didn't budge.

Just thought I'd share.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Just to add to the confusion, can you put the Freedom panel and/or roof back on without the doors? I'm a brand new Jeep owner, JL, and still trying all the configurations.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Just to add to the confusion, can you put the Freedom panel and/or roof back on without the doors? I'm a brand new Jeep owner, JL, and still trying all the configurations.
@Kraty1

Yes, you can.

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I wouldn't think they could call them Freedom panels if you couldn't run them any way you wanted. It would be un-American!

Just sayin.

Insert Team America song here playing loudly.

Last edited:

LowCountry

First Name
allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet Sport
I have used the freedom panels without the hardtop on my 2dr and it was fine. You just wont have the rear outside tabs that are on the top but you still have the inside tabs that are on the soundbar and even without doors on they are secure. I recently picked up a rugged ridge sunshade and im very happy with it and for around $50 the price was nice too.
Sponsored