AC Abegian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler diesel Sahara Altitude , 94 MKIV
Occupation
Autobody , singer-songwriter
Hello

does the new steering damper need to be installed first then an alignment ? Or vice Versa ?
Thanks
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Steering damper first, but typically the only thing that needs to be corrected is the steering wheel position (which can be easily done with a small change on the draglink).

OP
OP
AC77

AC77

First Name
AC Abegian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler diesel Sahara Altitude , 94 MKIV
Occupation
Autobody , singer-songwriter
Thanks for the reply sir. And what is the change you’re referring to ?
Do tell

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
It really doesn't matter. Alignment mostly only deals with caster, which is set by the control arms, and steering wheel centering, which is easily set by the drag bar. I had mine aligned before I installed the Fox ATS Race stabilizer and it handles just fine after installation. You can adjust the steering wheel centering yourself, since it's just a matter of loosening or tightening the drag bar. I have adjustable lower control arms, so setting caster is fairly simple, too, though I take it to a local jeep guy with a machine to have it set instead of doing it myself with an angle finder.

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
If you live anywhere close to a saltwater environment and or deal with lots of road salt I’d highly advise to stay far from the ATS, the pass through shaft pits and corrodes very fast. Hence destroyed shock seals.

Last edited:

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
a proper alignment will include adjustment of Toe-In.
since many Steering Stabilizer upgrades move the SS up above the Tie Rod and clamp directly to the Tie Rod, you'd want to do your Alignment *before* you clamp your SS to the Tie Rod.

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
a proper alignment will include adjustment of Toe-In.
since many Steering Stabilizer upgrades move the SS up above the Tie Rod and clamp directly to the Tie Rod, you'd want to do your Alignment *before* you clamp your SS to the Tie Rod.
He’s asking about the Fox ATS stabilizer. It bolts onto the factory mounts, and isn’t above the tie rod.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i have a Fox ATS Stabilizer; it mounts above the Tie Rod with a clamp to the Tie Rod.

he wasn't specific about which configuration he was using; i didn't assume.

He’s asking about the Fox ATS stabilizer. It bolts onto the factory mounts, and isn’t above the tie rod.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i'd add that even if it's the JK version installed with the Above-the-Tie-Rod adapter kit (that is so popular to get the SS up to where it's no longer a rack magnet) it *shouldn't* need to be aligned.
i personally wouldn't bother putting an upgraded SS on down where it's the first thing that's going to get munched on a trail ride, and would do the relocation conversion at the same time.

but the way these J**ps are delivered, it's hard to know how far off your alignment is unless you check, and you're going to want to do that before you clamp anything onto the Tie Rod.

If it is the JL version, installed as intended, no alignment is needed.
Sponsored