Fox ATS Steering stabilizer relocation.

mschlott

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 2019 JLUR
I've decided to get the Fox ATS steering stabilizer, but I know I'm going to drag it so I should do something to prevent that.

On Summit's site it says...
" . Also included is Fox's relocating hardware that moves the steering stabilizer up and out of the way, utilizing a new track bar relocation bolt and 1 3/8 in. tie-rod mounting clamp "
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/frs-983-02-148

Has anyone purchased one of these and had it come with hardware to mount it above the tie rod?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I've decided to get the Fox ATS steering stabilizer, but I know I'm going to drag it so I should do something to prevent that.

" . Also included is Fox's relocating hardware that moves the steering stabilizer up and out of the way, utilizing a new track bar relocation bolt and 1 3/8 in. tie-rod mounting clamp "

Has anyone purchased one of these and had it come with hardware to mount it above the tie rod?
I have the Falcon Nexux 2.2 steering stabilizer, but I did use the Synergy stabilizer relocation until I switched to the Teraflex Tie rod that comes with a Teraflex steering stabilizer Relocation kit.

I cannot speak to the price of the Fox & relo kit from summit, but I do not believe the version you link to will work for your situation. They mention that this is for a 1 3/8" tie rod. (standard JK tie Rod)

JL Factory tie rod is 1 5/8".

Just be sure you are not planning to replace your tie rod, as I am not aware of any aftermarket tie rods that are the same diameter. (The Teraflex is the closest at it is 42MM diameter, vs the stock is 41.275mm)

My point is that if you get a relo kit that works with the stock 1 and 5/8 tie rod, and then switch tie rod later, you will need to buy a new mount for the new tie rod diameter.

please don't ask me how I know:)

OP
OP
mschlott

mschlott

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the Falcon Nexux 2.2 steering stabilizer, but I did use the Synergy stabilizer relocation until I switched to the Teraflex Tie rod that comes with a Teraflex steering stabilizer Relocation kit.

I cannot speak to the price of the Fox & relo kit from summit, but I do not believe the version you link to will work for your situation. They mention that this is for a 1 3/8" tie rod. (standard JK tie Rod)

JL Factory tie rod is 1 5/8".

Just be sure you are not planning to replace your tie rod, as I am not aware of any aftermarket tie rods that are the same diameter. (The Teraflex is the closest at it is 42MM diameter, vs the stock is 41.275mm)

My point is that if you get a relo kit that works with the stock 1 and 5/8 tie rod, and then switch tie rod later, you will need to buy a new mount for the new tie rod diameter.

please don't ask me how I know:)
I missed that about the tie rod. I think this whole description is for another part number for the JK. The part number 983-02-148 is for a JL.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I missed that about the tie rod. I think this whole description is for another part number for the JK. The part number 983-02-148 is for a JL.
Be aware, part number 983-02-148 is for the factory mounting location. I am a big fan of relocating the damper, ESPECIALLY if you are spending the money for an expensive upgrade.

I actually went back and forth between the Fox ATS & the falcon Nexus for about 3 months before I pulled the trigger on the Falcon. In talking with Fox, they said that most people were not adjusting the ATS after finding their "sweet spot". This is what pushed me to go with the Falcon. I liked the fast adjust on the end with just 3 simply choices - Soft, medium, firm. and I can see at a glance what setting it is on. I actually change my fairly frequently - Firm for very long road trips. Medium for daily driving. Soft for Off road.

OP
OP
mschlott

mschlott

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Be aware, part number 983-02-148 is for the factory mounting location. I am a big fan of relocating the damper, ESPECIALLY if you are spending the money for an expensive upgrade.
Yeah, I'm looking at options to relocate it. I see synergy has a pin that mounts in the track bar mount, but I'm not sure what is possible for clamping to the tie rod. Synergy also makes the clamp but I'm not sure it will work with a pass through like the ATS.

Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Yeah, I'm looking at options to relocate it. I see synergy has a pin that mounts in the track bar mount, but I'm not sure what is possible for clamping to the tie rod. Synergy also makes the clamp but I'm not sure it will work with a pass through like the ATS.
I hear you. That is why I was really happy with the Teraflex Tie rod, as it comes with a relocation kit compatible with the Falcon nexus 2.2 that is a through shaft just like the ATS.

I REALLY did not like all of the money spent on the stabilizer hanging down:)

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase

I have this one but I haven't had time to install.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
You just need to buy the JK version of the ATS with the 1 5/8” tie rod clamp. I had to add Metalcloak’s axle side relocation bracket (had to enlarge one of the holes if I remember right) to get everything to clear at full lock.

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
I called Northridge and spoke to someone about the exact same issue and they said to get the JK one that will work.
Sponsored