Sponsored

Found this for our ZF8

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't put it beyond FCA to cut costs by reducing the cost of friction material by changing materials and adding more of some friction modifier to the fluid. Of course, all speculation. Maybe we could convince one of the oil guys to analyze both.
I'll be sending a sample of my used oil for analysis and could do a virgin on the ZF. There will be contaminants and likely a viscosity reduction in the used oil so not quite apples to apples. I am not sure that friction modifier content would show in an UOA/VOA unless it is an "element".
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I'll be sending a sample of my used oil for analysis and could do a virgin on the ZF. There will be contaminants and likely a viscosity reduction in the used oil so not quite apples to apples. I am not sure that friction modifier content would show in an UOA/VOA unless it is an "element".
https://aftermarket.zf.com/remotemedia/lol-lubricants/lol-en/lol-te-ml-11-en.pdf

Found it.

According to spare part number of vehicle manufacturer: ZF LifeguardFluid 8 (ZF No. S671 090 312) => Audi / VW Oil No. G 060162 A1 / A2 / A6 ATF => BMW ATF 3+, Oil No. 83 22 2 289 720 => Jaguar Oil No. 02JDE 26444 => Land Rover Oil No. LR023288 => Chrysler Oil No. 68157995AA => Petronas Tutela Transmission AS8

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram
Chrysler uses blueprints but not exact ZF design, they are allowed to make changes under the license agreement.

ZF makes the 8HP70/8HP75 in both the U.S. (SC) and Germany

Yes, my 8HP75 runs significantly cooler than the 195-199F my previous 8HP70 used to sit at while towing 7-8k lbs

1D0ED489-C737-4CC7-ABEC-8F28CEF50BC8.png
That's great. I have mostly owned manual transmissions so temp was never a concern for me until I got my Ram and it's in your face on the dash similar to what you show. Most people freaked out when they saw 195° temps coming from other auto tranny's when the 8 speed came out. That's the main reason I bought my truck aside from the Hemi. Is yours a heavy duty or 5th gen? It seems the 5th gen went to the 8HP75, possibly due to extra output from the e-torque systems. The EcoDiesel probably requires it to, similar to the Wrangler.

As far as fluid goes I also think the lifetime rating is a joke. I have a lifetime warranty on my Ram but at some point a new tranny will cost more than the truck is worth which means they will only pay me market value and no repairs. I plan to at least do a pan drain around 75k miles and fill back up exact quantity. I bought some Mopar branded fluid but the cost is appalling.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
It is convenient having that trans temp on the cluster, makes that trans service quite a bit easier since the FSM is very specific regarding the temp range that the service requires. There's a good youtube clip about the service being done and the approx time it takes to be in that temp range. Best not to start this in the summer in a hot shop or driveway though as you'd be above the max temp in short order.

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
That's great. I have mostly owned manual transmissions so temp was never a concern for me until I got my Ram and it's in your face on the dash similar to what you show. Most people freaked out when they saw 195° temps coming from other auto tranny's when the 8 speed came out. That's the main reason I bought my truck aside from the Hemi. Is yours a heavy duty or 5th gen? It seems the 5th gen went to the 8HP75, possibly due to extra output from the e-torque systems. The EcoDiesel probably requires it to, similar to the Wrangler.

As far as fluid goes I also think the lifetime rating is a joke. I have a lifetime warranty on my Ram but at some point a new tranny will cost more than the truck is worth which means they will only pay me market value and no repairs. I plan to at least do a pan drain around 75k miles and fill back up exact quantity. I bought some Mopar branded fluid but the cost is appalling.
Mine’s a 1500, the HD’s use a different beefed up version (8HP75–LCV).

eTorque is only 49 lb-ft and doesn’t add to peak torque. So it would make no sense to change transmissions for that.

Ironically, Dodge still uses the smaller 8HP70 in the 6.4L Durango even with its 470 lb-ft torque

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
True, but that would also mean they are not using ZF transmissions "as built" and have specified different clutch materials (which would be the primary reason for changing the additive pack) and since ZF fluid is semi-synthetic, it is not likely for heat control. It is possible they could have changed some of the internals, but in the ever cost cutting mode that most OEMs are in--changes = increased cost and they are not usually onboard with that.

Totally get it though--no need to be on the hook for someone else's transmission.
Are you sure the fluid is semi-synthetic? From what I've read it is full synthetic. Also, according to folks on bobistheoilguy, both ZF and Mopar fluids are both made by Shell.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Are you sure the fluid is semi-synthetic? From what I've read it is full synthetic. Also, according to folks on bobistheoilguy, both ZF and Mopar fluids are both made by Shell.
According to ZF themselves (which is where I read it), yes, it is.

EDIT: It states semi-synthetic in this document:

The high-quality semi-synthetic base oil ensures that high thermal-oxidative stability is maintained throughout the transmission's entire service life.

https://aftermarket.zf.com/remoteme...feguardfluid-8/pds-zf-lifeguardfluid-8-it.pdf

Last edited:

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. Most resellers are marketing it as fully synthetic.
I know and though I am on BITOG and it is a good site, there is a lot of parroting that happens. I had heard the same as you on BITOG that ZF fluid was full synthetic, and I think that it is a bleed over from ATF+4 which is a full synthetic.

I try my best to always provide factual information, or I will not repeat it, thus the reason I posted the ZF document.