Found this for our ZF8

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
You are correct, to each his own.
But, for me, $10 + $30 + $60= $100 for the modification of your factory pan, with a Fumoto Valve, and an inline tranny cooler, that will cool better, is an even better option.
The price of this PPE pan is around $300, and it won't cool near as well as an inline cooler.
Then again, the PPE is pretty.

Another thought. The factory pan is made of steel, which bends, when bumped by a rock, or branch, off-road.
The PPE is made of cast aluminum. We all know what happens to cast aluminum, when hit or bumped. It cracks, or breaks.
Then again, those are just my thoughts, and opinions.
When it comes time for a tranny fluid change, I think I know which route I will be taking.
Correct on all counts, but to damage the PPE pan on my JL means my MC skid plates will have taken a hit beyond measure.
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Correct on all counts, but to damage the PPE pan on my JL means my MC skid plates will have taken a hit beyond measure.
You are correct. Skid plates solve that issue. My opinion is that all wranglers should have decent skid plates, from the factory.

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram
My old ZF 8HP70 stayed in the 195-199F range while my current ZF 8HP75 runs 168-172F

Chrysler’s 850RE seems to run a tad warmer than the ZF units
170 seems low for the 8HP75. I am not positive but aside from torque rating they should be very similar. The 850RE is also a lower torque rating than the 8HP70 but I want to say also very similar design. Chrysler bought the rights to copy the ZF tranny and have been making them in Indiana since 2013 or so. My Ram has been very reliable but not sure if it has a German or US made tranny. I will check the next time I change my oil.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
If you were towing a lot this might be nice to get the added capacity of fluid.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I'll be changing mine at 50k miles and every 50k thereafter. At my current miles per year that's about every 4.5 to 5 years. I can get that ATF for about that $15 price from my dealer and the entire pan/gasket/filter combo is about $90 from them too, parts mgr gives me a deal :)
Having a drain plug would be nice but I don't mind doing the pan exchange since it's only every 5 yrs give or take.
The pan does not get replaced with each service on the wrangler. Just FYI.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
It is $15 a quart online and dropping the pan/changing the filter leaves as much in the transmission as you remove by dropping the pan. ZF does not recommend flushes so this is the next best thing.

Most will not change the fluid at all since FCA states that it is a "lifetime fill" but we all know that is bovine scatology. I just prefer to keep my JL well maintained.
Where?

Are you looking at aftermarket fluids?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Where?

Are you looking at aftermarket fluids?
I bought ZF8 fluid which is the exact fluid that is in the Mopar bottle at a 50% cost reduction and is made for Mopar by the manufacturer of the transmission. I bought mine on ebay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/254627087265).

I tend to follow the manufacturer's recommendations versus the OEM as one is looking to cut costs and/or meet CAFE requirements and the other wants the system to last. Both ZF and Dana have different specifications for oil change intervals and/or fluid viscosity versus what FCA recommends.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
The pan does not get replaced with each service on the wrangler. Just FYI.
I was hoping I could just replace the filter, but if I have to replace the gasket & filter the pan's only like $5 more if you price them separately vs. that bundled price. I guess we'll see how it works out in 20k miles, if the gasket's fine it only comes out to like $35 for the filter IIRC.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
170 seems low for the 8HP75. I am not positive but aside from torque rating they should be very similar. The 850RE is also a lower torque rating than the 8HP70 but I want to say also very similar design. Chrysler bought the rights to copy the ZF tranny and have been making them in Indiana since 2013 or so. My Ram has been very reliable but not sure if it has a German or US made tranny. I will check the next time I change my oil.
Chrysler uses blueprints but not exact ZF design, they are allowed to make changes under the license agreement.

ZF makes the 8HP70/8HP75 in both the U.S. (SC) and Germany

Yes, my 8HP75 runs significantly cooler than the 195-199F my previous 8HP70 used to sit at while towing 7-8k lbs

Jeep Wrangler JL Found this for our ZF8 1D0ED489-C737-4CC7-ABEC-8F28CEF50BC8

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I bought ZF8 fluid which is the exact fluid that is in the Mopar bottle at a 50% cost reduction and is made for Mopar by the manufacturer of the transmission. I bought mine on ebay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/254627087265).

I tend to follow the manufacturer's recommendations versus the OEM as one is looking to cut costs and/or meet CAFE requirements and the other wants the system to last. Both ZF and Dana have different specifications for oil change intervals and/or fluid viscosity versus what FCA recommends.
I would love to know for certain that Chrysler or other brands don’t make any changes to the fluids.
It’s not that I don’t believe you, but I can’t risk putting the wrong stuff in a customers vehicle without knowing for damn sure. Honda type 3.1 is the same deal, incredibly expensive.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would love to know for certain that Chrysler or other brands don’t make any changes to the fluids.
It’s not that I don’t believe you, but I can’t risk putting the wrong stuff in a customers vehicle without knowing for damn sure. Honda type 3.1 is the same deal, incredibly expensive.
While I cannot absolutely say that they don't, note that Mopar (nor anything other OEM) does not produce any fluid they sell, it is packaged for them. In addition, I trust the OEM of the transmission and axles far more than I ever will FCA.

For the axle, FCA specifies (recommends) 75W-90 versus Dana specifying 75W-140. FCA says the axle and transmission fluid are "lifetime" fills yet both Dana and ZF have recommended oil change intervals.

FCA also reduced the oil capacity in the Dana 44 Advantek axles versus the Dana axles used in the JK. Why? Simple, CAFE and the quest for more MPG. Admirable, but CAFE requirements are in direct conflict with longevity which is why many countries specify thicker viscosity oils in the SAME equipment versus the US.

This does not help your situation and totally get your position, but for me I am certain the ZF fluid is as the same as what I am taking out.

Reactions: VNT

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
While I cannot absolutely say that they don't, note that Mopar (nor anything other OEM) does not produce any fluid they sell, it is packaged for them. In addition, I trust the OEM of the transmission and axles far more than I ever will FCA.

For the axle, FCA specifies (recommends) 75W-90 versus Dana specifying 75W-140. FCA says the axle and transmission fluid are "lifetime" fills yet both Dana and ZF have recommended oil change intervals.

FCA also reduced the oil capacity in the Dana 44 Advantek axles versus the Dana axles used in the JK. Why? Simple, CAFE and the quest for more MPG. Admirable, but CAFE requirements are in direct conflict with longevity which is why many countries specify thicker viscosity oils in the SAME equipment versus the US.

This does not help your situation and totally get your position, but for me I am certain the ZF fluid is as the same as what I am taking out.
Yeah, that ZF fluid gets the most cross references when looking up compatible ZF transmission fluid. I would not hesitate using that in our 8AT, and would be very surprised if there is any difference whatsoever from the Mopar version. I would also consider using Redline D6 ATF, that may be what I end up using. It's suitable for the Cherokee Trackhawk, so I think we're good!
https://www.redlineoil.com/d6-atf

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service

Correct, but they can specify additives to a base stock.

I agree that FCA maintenance schedules are terrible advice. They want you to last through the warranty period and be done with the car.

I would use the ZF fluid without hesitation in my own transmission. I can get it in bulk at a significant discount for European cars that we deal with. However, I couldn’t sell it without specifications listing applicability to American/Japanese vehicles as applicable.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Correct, but they can specify additives to a base stock.
True, but that would also mean they are not using ZF transmissions "as built" and have specified different clutch materials (which would be the primary reason for changing the additive pack) and since ZF fluid is semi-synthetic, it is not likely for heat control. It is possible they could have changed some of the internals, but in the ever cost cutting mode that most OEMs are in--changes = increased cost and they are not usually onboard with that.

Totally get it though--no need to be on the hook for someone else's transmission.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
True, but that would also mean they are not using ZF transmissions "as built" and have specified different clutch materials (which would be the primary reason for changing the additive pack) and since ZF fluid is semi-synthetic, it is not likely for heat control. It is possible they could have changed some of the internals, but in the ever cost cutting mode that most OEMs are in--changes = increased cost and they are not usually onboard with that.

Totally get it though--no need to be on the hook for someone else's transmission.
I wouldn't put it beyond FCA to cut costs by reducing the cost of friction material by changing materials and adding more of some friction modifier to the fluid. Of course, all speculation. Maybe we could convince one of the oil guys to analyze both.
Sponsored