Sponsored

? for base model owners about key/fob

JeePM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I have a question for you folks with base models. I'm considering going with the willys sport (base model).

My question is since they dont have power locks, what is the key situation? I'm assuming it still has some kind of fob due to the push button start, so does it just have a fob with no buttons or a fob with buttons that dont work?
Sponsored

swampdweller126

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL
I have a question for you folks with base models. I'm considering going with the willys sport (base model).

My question is since they dont have power locks, what is the key situation? I'm assuming it still has some kind of fob due to the push button start, so does it just have a fob with no buttons or a fob with buttons that dont work?
base model fob has no buttons. only flip out key button.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Interesting...Is it still gigantic?
Same size...has to have the electronics for the ignition. Really isnt all that much bigger than many starter fobs, though.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Interesting...Is it still gigantic?
Yep, my wife has a Sport S with power locks, I have a base Sport. It's the exact same fob, just missing the buttons on the one side. I have to say, that is the ONLY thing that I don't like about mine, is that you can't remote unlock it from the outside. Of course, when I got my license 30 years ago, all cars were like that, so it's sort of a throwback.

Sponsored

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
Of course, when I got my license 30 years ago, all cars were like that, so it's sort of a throwback.
We had to manually crank windows too! :giggle:

OP
OP

JeePM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Yep, my wife has a Sport S with power locks, I have a base Sport. It's the exact same fob, just missing the buttons on the one side. I have to say, that is the ONLY thing that I don't like about mine, is that you can't remote unlock it from the outside. Of course, when I got my license 30 years ago, all cars were like that, so it's sort of a throwback.

I agree. The crank windows dont bother me, but it would be nice to have the power door locks. Seems so odd to have push button start on a base model, yet not power locks.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Indeed! And I can't tell you how many times I've shanked myself with it LOL! I have to remember to take it out of my pocket when I play my guitar, because it always winds up hitting the release button and then I get stabbed. :LOL:

We had to manually crank windows too! :giggle:
Absolutely! My 3rd car ('85 Monte Carlo SS, bought in 1991) had crank windows and manual locks. It was weird though, because my first car ('76 Monte Carlo, bought in 1990) had power locks and windows LOL. Ah, the good ol' days!

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Manual windows/doors here. If you've had power locks in your previous cars, you will regret not having it in your Jeep.

Manual windows? No big deal. Manual locks are a pita though.

StoneFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr JL
I agree. The crank windows dont bother me, but it would be nice to have the power door locks. Seems so odd to have push button start on a base model, yet not power locks.
my mom has been riding in sport a lot lately and now keeps reaching for the crank to open the window when she gets into her car
Sponsored