Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m surprised bankers rank that high.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Yea... I know this was meant as a bit of a snarky post, but picking up the phone and having someone rattle off JLURD at me would probably throw me for a loop too, even if I was pretty competent. Not really a term I think a lot of people use.

fogby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
Lot's of posts about people looking for the very best price to be found. That mindset doesn't lead to good service within the industry.

Sponsored

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
I echo the look online first idea. When I want to test drive, and potentially make a purchase, I look for specific jeeps online and then when I call/go in I ask of they have the stock number. They definitely know what that is, and can find the key quickly.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
"JLURD" huh?

Did you ask for a "j lerd" or did you ask for a "J L U R D"?

LOL :D

Yogi1956

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Clubs

Lot's of posts about people looking for the very best price to be found. That mindset doesn't lead to good service within the industry.
Read my mind, ā€œ Iā€™m not buying unless I get 10% below invoice, the holdback, advertising allowance and free gas for lifeā€ šŸ˜‚ , oh by the way, would you please spend half a day with me test driving and doing paperwork so I can make $200. A good sales person will know their product but tell you to take a walk if you get too greedy.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Usually a focus on the price comes from the expectation that we wonā€™t get much service in return.

The moment we get an unexpected positive experience, our focus shifts away from the price.

Beetroot

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Medical Devices
When I placed my order with the sales manager (not a salesman) he kept pronouncing it Willies and I kept saying Willis through the whole conversation. He never asked me why and I never corrected him. Granted Jeep has taken the official position that it is easier to mispronounce it than keep correcting people so they do it top down since the official surrender. When I mentioned the Dana 44 he said that he didnā€™t know what that was.
I guess you are correct that it was originally pronounced that way. But things change. We have two old Willys vehicles in the family and I've had conversations about them with a hundred car people and never heard anyone say willis even once.

Sponsored

Beetroot

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Medical Devices
Would a salesperson really sell more vehicles if he knew the jargon and all the tech specs? I kind of doubt it. Even for Wranglers I bet 90% of buyers don't know or care about LSD vs. lockers or any of that, and those of us that do already know what we are looking at.

GeckoJosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Baja Yellow
Yesterday, I wanted to test drive a diesel wrangler. According to a dealers website there were a couple rubiconā€™s on the lot so off I went.

Me - I am looking for a JLURD
salesman - So your looking for a right side drive. We donā€™t have any.
Me - Why would you think I am looking for a right ride drive?
slaesman - ooo, I donā€™t know
Me- Do you have any diesel rubiconā€™s?
salesman- no

I decided to call the next dealer by phone before driving across town.

Me- Hi, I would like to talk to a salesman that knows wranglers.
saleswoman- You can talk to a saleswoman, how can I help?
Me- Do you know what a JLURD is?
saleswoman- a URD? What is that?
Me- Are there any diesel wranglers I can test drive?
saleswoman- All wranglers arriving are orders only, no dealer allocations. Lead time is 90 days.

With the slowdown in inventory I am sure dealerships are loosing experienced salesmen that are seeking different jobs to provide an income. When I bought my JKU in 2013 my salesman was a jeeper. He knew gear ratios, axles, and options of all wrangler models. Today, it really helps to do your own research ahead of time.
NKOTB WWJD BDSM GTFOH See isn't this just silly? Ask for it by name, not made up acronyms

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
I guess you are correct that it was originally pronounced that way. But things change. We have two old Willys vehicles in the family and I've had conversations about them with a hundred car people and never heard anyone say willis even once.
During the war most of the soldiers didnā€™t know the name of the company that made the Jeep so they just pronounced it like it looks. When the Jeep became a mainstream vehicle people began pronouncing it like the soldiers did because they figured that they used them in the war so they must know how to say it. Chrysler tried use the pronunciation that Mr Willys used but eventually gave up on it.
I will continue to say it like Mr Willys did, if it was my legacy I would like to have my name pronounced correctly.

chimax83

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe in D1
"Foolish salesperson" for not speaking in gen Z acronym speak, that's hilarious šŸ˜†

Hjstrater

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara, 2020 JT Overland
Yesterday, I wanted to test drive a diesel wrangler. According to a dealers website there were a couple rubiconā€™s on the lot so off I went.

Me - I am looking for a JLURD
salesman - So your looking for a right side drive. We donā€™t have any.
Me - Why would you think I am looking for a right ride drive?
slaesman - ooo, I donā€™t know
Me- Do you have any diesel rubiconā€™s?
salesman- no

I decided to call the next dealer by phone before driving across town.

Me- Hi, I would like to talk to a salesman that knows wranglers.
saleswoman- You can talk to a saleswoman, how can I help?
Me- Do you know what a JLURD is?
saleswoman- a URD? What is that?
Me- Are there any diesel wranglers I can test drive?
saleswoman- All wranglers arriving are orders only, no dealer allocations. Lead time is 90 days.

With the slowdown in inventory I am sure dealerships are loosing experienced salesmen that are seeking different jobs to provide an income. When I bought my JKU in 2013 my salesman was a jeeper. He knew gear ratios, axles, and options of all wrangler models. Today, it really helps to do your own research ahead of time.
Maybe he assumed you meant JLURHD which is the closest Jeep comes to using the acronym you rattled offā€¦ whatā€™s funny is you and the sales guys both walked away thinking the other was an idiotā€¦.
Jeep Wrangler JL Foolish salesperson 9B808395-5749-4CFB-9A49-320C7B6DA183
Sponsored