Sponsored

Foolish salesperson

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
That would be the second rule of sales: walk away from asshole customers.
Most of the Jeep salespeople I've dealt with were successful enough to have (1) a good word-of-mouth reputation and (2) a book of recurring business that they didn't have to bow down and scrape before every random walk-in customer to make a living. It makes me cringe that a "Jeep Guy" would randomly call a dealer and the first thing he says to her is "do you know what a JLURD is?". On a Saturday, no less...the busiest day on a dealer lot.

I worked in front of house sales when I was younger, and would try to shake people like this as soon as possible. I'd be tempted to reply with "I do, it is an offshoot of the JLGFY." Even if she had 20 JLUs on the lot, she probably lied and said they were out of stock just to give every salesperson a break that day.
Sponsored

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
I will tell you if a salesperson does not know the product I'll find someone on the property that does. Not much irks me worse on a vehicle lot than stupid person that does not know the product they are trying to sell. It rates right up there with the finance jerk trying to sell inflated products like window etching and immobilizer's.

Here is an example of a dumb salesmen:

Salesmen: "This bike was raced by Jeremy McGrath. Feel the snap (of the throttle)!!"

Me: "Wow!! I can feel a better snap on my 20 year old XR200."
I really dont care what the sales human knows bc i know what i want. Ofcourse my salesguy is amazing at my dealership so what do i know anyways!

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lurking the forum
They should use the same for realtors and cut the 6% commission.
Hahaha... as i listen my hun negotiate another oceanfront hotel deal that no ordinary person would have a clue about. The percentage is well earned... and these deals take over 50 hours just for starters.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I really dont care what the sales human knows bc i know what i want. Ofcourse my salesguy is amazing at my dealership so what do i know anyways!
That is smart thinking. I learned to do my transactions over the phone so as not to waste my time on the lot.

When I purchased my Super Tenere a few years back I did everything over the phone. I texted the sales manager a picture of my cashiers check after the deal was made. By the time I got to the dealership the PDI was just about done.

The only person that was not liking me was the finance officer. I had to go in his cubical to sign the paperwork. You could tell he was not happy.

The only thing kind of strange was the GM requesting me not to disclose to potential customers how much I paid for the bike. I honored his request to this day.

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
its like saying " L O L"
ME: I want a LOL Ham Sandwich.

Subway employee: You want lettuce only on the left side?

ME: YOU IDIOT. I'm going to Quiznos.

Last edited:

Sponsored

CorvZ061

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
Asking for JLURD told me more about what the salesperson knows about wranglers. I didnā€™t waste my time and they could go back to kicking rocks in the empty parking lot.

Go to any Harley shop and model numbers are the norm. Most Harley salespeople know what a FLHR is. If Jeep salesmen donā€™t know their model designation of $60k+ vehicle they are trying to sell then they donā€™t know their product.
Seeing as how FLHR is actually the model designation for said Harley, and most Harley salesmen are also enthusiast it would make sense they would know.

A random salesmen at a dealership that sales more than just Wranglers won't know the various acronyms that were made up on social media platforms, your expectations were way out in left field on that one.

OffRocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
This is like going into Fry's or Best Buy and expecting the sales professionals there to know anything about what they're selling. I think we've strayed far away from the days when people had pride in their product and knew it inside and out, especially for mass market goods.

JLUR doesn't appear in the order guide. It's a made up term, not by Jeep.

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lurking the forum
That is smart thinking. I learned to do my transactions over the phone so as not to waste my time on the lot.

When I purchased my Super Tenere a few years back I did everything over the phone. I texted the sales manager a picture of my cashiers check after the deal was made. By the time I got to the dealership the PDI was just about done.

Totally. I always call first. Negotiate... do everything possible over the phone. Makes life simple.

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lurking the forum
ME: I want a LOL Ham Sandwich.
Subway employee: You want lettuce only on the left side?
ME: YOU IDIOT. I'm going to Quiznos.
Omgomg dying here!!!!

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Do you need them sale you the vehicle or process the paperwork at a price you want? Thatā€™s how I was when I was buying my JLR. I didnā€™t need my sales associate to know his product and donā€™t know if he did. I knew the Jeep in and out before even stepping foot in oneā€¦ Watched hours of videos and read countless forums.
Sales associates should be watching Jeep videos and visiting forums while they're between customers. That's what employees did before the entitled generation....they learned the products instead of sitting around waiting for a paycheck.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sales associates should be watching Jeep videos and visiting forums while they're between customers. That's what employees did before the entitled generation....they learned the products instead of sitting around waiting for a paycheck.
Ha...!

I sold cars in the 1990s: when it wasnā€™t your ā€œupā€, you were in the front drinking coffee, smoking cigarettes and telling jokes... I didnā€™t smoke nor drank ā€”muchā€” coffee...so I honed on my jokes! šŸ˜«

Kidding aside, car sales is one of the toughest jobs Iā€™ve ever done. No because it is particularly difficult, but because the long hours doing nothing, the lack of personal time, and the unpredictability of your income from one month to next, put a lot of strain on your mental health.

I did it for a year; never again.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I agree, they should know their product if they care about their career for in person. But for me, I can care less. Mostly because if I decide a large purchase is a feasible option for me and decide to move forward. I just need to find the dealer who has what I want or can get what I want at the best price. Agree on price, get as much paper work and payment done before I come in. I want to be in the dealer for less then 30 minutes.

Good salesperson should know their customerā€¦ I ignored the dealers who wanted me to come in or offered MSRP with markups as not being serious. For me, doesnā€™t matter if they know their product and should put those people on the internet side of things training them to be proficient. I feel my generation would appreciate this approach, rather then the old fashion spend half a day at the dealer like my parents did growing up.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
BTW, my local Jeep dealer is down to a skeleton crew. I stopped by last week to inquire about getting the steering box TSB done. There was only one salesperson in the showroom; only ONE Service Advisor I recognized, the other three were all new faces.

When I asked my S.A. what happened to everyone, he said ā€œYeah, weā€™ve had a lot of turnover. These are tough times with COVID and all...ā€

The Jeep dealer has held onto its inventory by adding markups; the Toyota, Honda, Subaru and VW dealers have nothing left to sell. Their lots are completely empty.
Sponsored