WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Wait until you get it packed with dirt
Why would that be a problem any differently than the same drain hole without the mat? A hose will clean it out just the same.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
If you want the Mopar mats but don't want the drain valve feature, you can cut the spout portion off from underneath the mat and install JK drain plugs in the mat. Keep the original JL drain plugs in the floor.

someone else mentioned the JL and JK drain plugs are the same size. the JL are advertised as "one-way valves".
The spout is what seals them off. I wouldn't do that I don't think. But I guess it's an option.

Last edited:

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Why would that be a problem any differently than the same drain hole without the mat? A hose will clean it out just the same.
I guess it depends on how you use your jeep. My dirt is contained in the floor mat. I have no need to pull out the drain plug under the carpet. I would rather take the mat out and hose it down. I can’t imagine hosing the mats when they are still in the jeep.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
If you want the Mopar mats but don't want the drain valve feature, you can cut the spout portion off from underneath the mat and install JK drain plugs in the mat. Keep the original JL drain plugs in the floor.

someone else mentioned the JL and JK drain plugs are the same size. the JL are advertised as "one-way valves".
A shortcoming of the Mopar All Weather Mat is that it is way shallow. Preferred by many is a floor liner with high sides that will confine/corral the mud, snow and such. The cutesy floor drain hole will not drain mud, slush, dog hair, leaves and such.

In the Winter the drain hole will be useless in below freezing temps.. You will play hell trying to disconnect the drain.... something you will have to do if you want to dump the mat with slush, snow and chitt on it. to boot the sides are not high enough...

For some the Mopar offering is aok but for many, especially in colder climate regions the Mopar mat is not the best way to go.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
A shortcoming of the Mopar All Weather Mat is that it is way shallow. Preferred by many is a floor liner with high sides that will confine/corral the mud, snow and such. The cutesy floor drain hole will not drain mud, slush, dog hair, leaves and such.

In the Winter the drain hole will be useless in below freezing temps.. You will play hell trying to disconnect the drain.... something you will have to do if you want to dump the mat with slush, snow and chitt on it. For some the Mopar offering is aok but for many, especially in colder climate regions the Mopar mat is not the best way to go.
The mopar mat does not protect under the gas pedal either. Usually the Husky and Weathertech liners provide full protection.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
I guess it depends on how you use your jeep. My dirt is contained in the floor mat. I have no need to pull out the drain plug under the carpet. I would rather take the mat out and hose it down. I can’t imagine hosing the mats when they are still in the jeep.
The drain plug isn't under the carpet. It's moved to the mat, and the mat has a provision that seals off inside the drain. There is no need to remove the mat to wash them or drain them. But, you still CAN remove them just as easily as any other floor liner with no mess. Best of both worlds.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation

In the Winter the drain hole will be useless in below freezing temps.. You will play hell trying to disconnect the drain.... something you will have to do if you want to dump the mat with slush, snow and chitt on it. to boot the sides are not high enough...

For some the Mopar offering is aok but for many, especially in colder climate regions the Mopar mat is not the best way to go.
None of that is true. Sorry, it just isn't. The Mopar mats are as deep as you can get them. NO other mats will be deeper. It's impossible. They also will not freeze in winter. You need water on both sides to make them freeze and they won't do that because they are designed to seal inside the drain hole. The plug then gets moved to the floor liner.

The mopar mat does not protect under the gas pedal either. Usually the Husky and Weathertech liners provide full protection.
The Mopar liners go all the way under my pedals. The rears also go farther up under the seats. I've had Michelin EdgeLiners, WeatherTechs, Huskys, etc. None of them are better than these Mopars in terms of function or quality. However, the Mopars are less than half the cost.

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I have the Mopar all-weather mats installed in my JLUR - and utilized the drain plug in the top of the mat itself, as they are designed for,

And I forded about 30" of muddy water a few times in it. The next day I noticed my driver and passenger side carpets were drenched in muddy water. I have since removed the drain plugs from the mats and placed them back directly into the metal floor - and removed the carpet from the front/back of my Jeep entirely. I'd rather have no carpet than to potentially have to clean them again later on.

Here's a few pictures of the mats after removing them.

IMG_20180423_110242.jpg

IMG_20180423_105449.jpg

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The drain plug isn't under the carpet. It's moved to the mat, and the mat has a provision that seals off inside the drain. There is no need to remove the mat to wash them or drain them.
I get that. I like to scrub my mats with soap and blast them with a hose and don’t want to do that with them in the jeep. I also like to pull the mat out to vacuum the dirt that falls behind. So the drain is useless to me.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
I have the Mopar all-weather mats installed in my JLUR - and utilized the drain plug in the top of the mat itself, as they are designed for,

And I forded about 30" of muddy water a few times in it. The next day I noticed my driver and passenger side carpets were drenched in muddy water. I have since removed the drain plugs from the mats and placed them back directly into the metal floor - and removed the carpet from the front/back of my Jeep entirely. I'd rather have no carpet than to potentially have to clean them again later on.

IMG_20180423_110242.jpg

IMG_20180423_105449.jpg

Interesting. The plug fits into the floor liners just as tightly as it does into the floor tub itself. If one leaks, you'd think the other one would too. If one keeps water out, the other should too. Odd. Are you sure you got the liner pushed down into the hole in the the tub all the way?

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Interesting. The plug fits into the floor liners just as tightly as it does into the floor tub itself. If one leaks, you'd think the other one would too. If one keeps water out, the other should too. Odd. Are you sure you got the liner pushed down into the hole in the the tub all the way?
Yep - was installed correctly. It clearly leaked around the drain port itself. I got 0 water up on top of the mat - it was all below the mat in the carpet.

The drain port on the mat clearly doesn't provide a great seal in the drain port of the floor.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
@WXman

It seems you are trying to justify your purchase of the Mopar, All Weather mat. No need to do this. If they appeal to you, so be it....to each his own..

On the other hand there are many here that know the cutesy drain hole and such is more of a gimmick then anything. Many know that the friggin snow, sleet and mud freezes on the mat and needs to be dumped out. The little drain hole will not do the trick in the dead of Winter.. You can't wash out a mat with the the garden hose in the Winter when temps are low.

So, I'll get a set of mats that are practical and that do the job for me, Summer and in dead of Winter.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
@WXman

It seems you are trying to justify your purchase of the Mopar, All Weather mat. No need to do this. If they appeal to you, so be it....to each his own..

On the other hand there are many here that know the cutesy drain hole and such is more of a gimmick then anything. Many know that the friggin snow, sleet and mud freezes on the mat and needs to be dumped out. The little drain hole will not do the trick in the dead of Winter.. You can't wash out a mat with the the garden hose in the Winter when temps are low.

So, I'll get a set of mats that are practical and that do the job for me, Summer and in dead of Winter.
And it seems that you are doing just the opposite, trying to poo-poo all over a great product just because you wouldn't buy it. No need to do this.

If something works as advertised, how is that a "gimmick"?

That's a great idea...you should get the overpriced mats that do the exact same thing because it's your money and then you'll be happy. That's what America is all about.

OH...and when we go back below zero again this coming winter I'll spray mine with a hose on purpose and send you a video of how they work as advertised. ;)

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

IMG_20180423_110242.jpg

IMG_20180423_105449.jpg

IMG_20180423_110242.jpg

IMG_20180423_105449.jpg
This is what I would expect. Especially if you take them out once every couple of weeks to vacuum around them. Not to mention that the mat is separated from the floor by a spongy rug. Every time you get in you are moving that area. It’s bound to eventually leak.
Sponsored