Sponsored

Floor drain issues?

TrassaE95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Porsche Macan
Hey all,
I looked for this on the forum, and didn’t find anything yet, but admittedly am looking on a mobile device so I apologize if this is somewhere else on the forum. I bought the mopar floor mats before I got the Jeep and will be taking delivery this week. A friend of mine warned me about the drains actually allowing water in to the Jeep from the underside (without being submerged, but simply by removing the plugs and putting the mats in with the plug on top of the mat). He said the water will get in between the metal and the carpet from driving on wet roads or in snow. He was convincing enough to make me post on here to see if the drains are an issue, though I have my doubts as the mats seem to be a pretty tight fit. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

JoeValkIS

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Can Am Spyder F3T
Vehicle Showcase
[Disclaimer...I don't have my JL yet...so this is hear-say...]
I believe that the Mopar All-Weather Floor Mats will plug into the body just like the drain plug did. This will seal the floor mat and body so that water can't get to the carpet. You can then put the drain plug into the floor mat.

Hopefully someone will post their actual results and confirm if my understanding is correct.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
Assuming you're taking your carpet out...you might get spray and moisture under the mat and in between it and the steel of the tub. But if you do get the inside wet from rain or submersion, it won't drain with the mat on top. The mat itself will hold quite a bit of water.

When I had my JK I ran it with the bare steel tub and no doors may-sept. I left the plugs in unless I needed to drain. Even with the plugs pulled, it still took "help" to guide the water to the drain once the level got below a 1/2" or so. The undersides of all my plugs were stained and caked with mud and road grime. If you leave them out, that stuff will find its way in over time.

Theres no real reason to leave the plugs out unless you know you're going to either go topless in heavy rain, or you know you're going to submarine it with the doors off. With the doors on, water won't come in if you're doing a simple fording. The door seals do a good job.

If you plan on leaving the carpet in.....leave the plugs in or you'll get a mildew smell. The carpet will get damp and not be able to dry with a rubber mat on top. With the JK, as bad as it leaked, I left the carpet out any time it was above freezing out. In the JL, the carpet comes out any time I know Im going to go wheeling. You cant get to the vast majority of the plugs with the carpet in anyway. You can access the two primary ones in the driver and passenger footwell (they have flaps cut in the carpet), but not the others. IIRC my 2 door JK had 16 plugs in varying sizes......basically in every low spot in the tub.

BrianinNC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
[Disclaimer...I don't have my JL yet...so this is hear-say...]
I believe that the Mopar All-Weather Floor Mats will plug into the body just like the drain plug did. This will seal the floor mat and body so that water can't get to the carpet. You can then put the drain plug into the floor mat.

Hopefully someone will post their actual results and confirm if my understanding is correct.
This is correct. The Mopar all weather mats plug into the drain hole and seal all the way around. The seal is at least as good as what would have been provided by the drain plug. The drain plug is then used to plug the drain hole in the mats. The all weather mats are actually really nice and don't budge once they're installed. I'm usually a WeatherTech guy for mats, but these Mopar mats are really nice.

Sponsored

tcadaniel

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi
This is correct. The Mopar all weather mats plug into the drain hole and seal all the way around. The seal is at least as good as what would have been provided by the drain plug. The drain plug is then used to plug the drain hole in the mats. The all weather mats are actually really nice and don't budge once they're installed. I'm usually a WeatherTech guy for mats, but these Mopar mats are really nice.
^^^^^What he said..

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
unrelated but somehow not -

I noticed on the WeatherTech website that their do not come with a cut out for the drain plug like the MOPAR do? Anyone that has them maybe can correct me if I'm wrong?

Also I reached out to Husky and they're releasing theirs maybe this week (so they said) - unknown if it will have a cut out or not.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
unrelated but somehow not -

I noticed on the WeatherTech website that their do not come with a cut out for the drain plug like the MOPAR do? Anyone that has them maybe can correct me if I'm wrong?

Also I reached out to Husky and they're releasing theirs maybe this week (so they said) - unknown if it will have a cut out or not.
I for one do not want a cutesy drain hole in my mats. No way will WeatherTech or Husky have this..

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
I for one do not want a cutesy drain hole in my mats. No way will WeatherTech or Husky have this..
1 - why don't you want a drainhole? 2 - Why do MOPAR has one then? 3 - why do you think WT and Husky won't have a hole in their mats?

Orillian

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLu
The drain hole plug option is great in the OEM mats, way better than what my 2016 JK mats. They seat into the drain hole really nice and tight, then the existing plug goes into them! Mat gets full of slush and snow, pull the plug and let it drain out! No slush and snow right now, but I tested it with my cleaning water when I installed sill guards the other day and it drains away great! No water got into the carpeting at all! I just wish the rear seat and mats had this option, because...kids.

Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
@jhonn236_AZ

Personally, I think the drain hole is more of a gimmick then anything. An effort by FCA to get owner's to buy their mat offering versus aftermarket offerings like WeatherTech, Husky, etc.

I have been in contact with WeatherTech and Husky and development people, and both have said no drain hole in their offerings,

As for me.. I have residences in NY, Florida and California. Cutesy drain hole may work in Florida and California but in Upstate NY they would be more of a pain in the ass in the Winter, when the temps are below freezing. In snowy, cold places you want a floor liner that will corral lots of snow, slush, etc. and that you can easily dump out. That cutesy mat hole drain will be frozen closed and you will play hell with the floor drain connection and trying to easily remove the mat in the Winter.

Last edited:

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
The drain hole plug option is great in the OEM mats, way better than what my 2016 JK mats. They seat into the drain hole really nice and tight, then the existing plug goes into them! Mat gets full of slush and snow, pull the plug and let it drain out! No slush and snow right now, but I tested it with my cleaning water when I installed sill guards the other day and it drains away great! No water got into the carpeting at all! I just wish the rear seat and mats had this option, because...kids.
Jeep advertises these new drain plugs as "one-way floor drain valves". Is it true they drain without needing to remove the plug?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Water will not get into the drains. The drain plug is there for a reason. And, even without the plug in place it would be really hard for water to get up in that hole at a 90 degree angle against the force of gravity.

The drain hole isn't "cutesy". It's functional. But if you want to be a dope and spend 110% more money on the SAME product without the drain holes and a brand name stamped on them, by all means go ahead. :)

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Jeep advertises these new drain plugs as "one-way floor drain valves". Is it true they drain without needing to remove the plug?
Wait until you get it packed with dirt

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
If you want the Mopar mats but don't want the drain valve feature, you can cut the spout portion off from underneath the mat and install JK drain plugs in the mat. Keep the original JL drain plugs in the floor.

someone else mentioned the JL and JK drain plugs are the same size. the JL are advertised as "one-way valves".
Sponsored