flat tow

bwilliam79

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150, 2018 JLUR
Maybe not the most elegant solution, but I simply cut off the portion of the mat that was preventing it from sitting flat on the floor. With the grommet plugging the drain hole, I didn't see any other way to get the mat to sit down properly.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Just had the cooltech harness installed with my blue ox baseplate and wondering how you all are dealing with the wire going through floor drain?

I have the all weather mats and now can no longer snap the mats into the floor as intended. Any solutions?
Well, you can go to all the trouble of rerouting the wires and not go through the floor drain. Otherwise just deal with it.

Also, you do know that you do not have to have those mats drain thru the floor. A lot of guys have opted to not have them drain thru the floor.

psw757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 Lariat fx4
Well, you can go to all the trouble of rerouting the wires and not go through the floor drain. Otherwise just deal with it.

Also, you do know that you do not have to have those mats drain thru the floor. A lot of guys have opted to not have them drain thru the floor.
I cut the hole out of the carpet so it would be nice to have it drain as intended.

Is there enough wire to reroute it along door sill to firewall?

Pipebndr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1943 Ford GPW 2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Automotive business owner, ASE Master Tech
Just had the cooltech harness installed with my blue ox baseplate and wondering how you all are dealing with the wire going through floor drain?

I have the all weather mats and now can no longer snap the mats into the floor as intended. Any solutions?
Under the passenger seat is another plug identical to the floor mat drain. Just separate the carpet at where the front and back meet under the seat and feel around, you’ll find. Perfect spot as designed. I installed the wiring and looked at that and thought Cool Tech is a little smarter than running it under the floor mat and then running it through a drain.

psw757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 Lariat fx4
Under the passenger seat is another plug identical to the floor mat drain. Just separate the carpet at where the front and back meet under the seat and feel around, you’ll find. Perfect spot as designed. I installed the wiring and looked at that and thought Cool Tech is a little smarter than running it under the floor mat and then running it through a drain.
Good to know, I'll take a look at this tomorrow.

Now I'm wondering if I can pull the wire back through from the switch end which isn't too far from drain or if I have to yank it all the way back from the bumper and stick through the other hole and route to bumper again?

Sponsored

trble

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Disabled Vet
i just installed the Blue Ox base plate and Cool Tech wiring. Things went great. Did it both in a day and saved hundreds. Road Master wanted me to wait 2 weeks to see if a 4dr and 2dr Rubi are the same in the front end and i decided Blue Ox people knew more. Thank you Cool Tech for the "so easy a cave man can do it" type of install. Now I'm waiting for the 6 in drop receiver to get here for the road test.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
i just installed the Blue Ox base plate and Cool Tech wiring. Things went great. Did it both in a day and saved hundreds. Road Master wanted me to wait 2 weeks to see if a 4dr and 2dr Rubi are the same in the front end and i decided Blue Ox people knew more. Thank you Cool Tech for the "so easy a cave man can do it" type of install. Now I'm waiting for the 6 in drop receiver to get here for the road test.
With my Wrangler's, I have always used Blue Ox base plates.. Excellent! You don't want to know how many miles I flat towed Wrangler's behind my Class A... Oh my.....

As for Kendall's .... Cool Tech's harness, Excellent! I have been using Kendal's harness since his first JK harness, proto-type in 2007. For the record, if you ever have questions, concern's etc. he is always there for the buyer...

trble

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Disabled Vet
With my Wrangler's, I have always used Blue Ox base plates.. Excellent! You don't want to know how many miles I flat towed Wrangler's behind my Class A... Oh my.....

As for Kendall's .... Cool Tech's harness, Excellent! I have been using Kendal's harness since his first JK harness, proto-type in 2007. For the record, if you ever have questions, concern's etc. he is always there for the buyer...

I'm exited... everything looks great. Thank you

E J & G

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2.0 Turbo & 2015 Winnebago Vista 26HE
When installing the Roadmaster 88400 on a 2018 JL

Which fuse is the brake light (stop light) switch fuse? It is not listed on the fuse box cover diagram.

Instructions say, due to the push button start, to follow the “B” instructions which power the relay by timing into the tail light wiring fron the tow vwhicle to the jeeps rear lights. then it says you have to remember to always have the tow vehicle

E J & G

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2.0 Turbo & 2015 Winnebago Vista 26HE
Headlights or running lights on when towing or the turn and brake signals won’t work together

Why not use the Aux power (center pin on a 7 pin connector on the tow vehicle and center pin A terminal on a 6 pin connector? Then the relay would actuate any tine the tow vehicle is connected, not just when you remember to turn the lights on?

Sponsored

Midwest22

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Installed the Cooltech JL wiring harness today. I really hate to do this but I need to be honest...their customer service sucks! Try calling their number and see what you get...a constant busy signal. Then send them an email and they will only want to reply via email. Keep in mind that you have your Jeeps wiring all apart and its business hours, yet you have to wait for an email to come in. I really never like to say bad stuff online but in this case I feel like its warranted.

...and Im still waiting for their reply as to how to send my brake signal back through the cable (which is ONLY 4 wires) to my coach.

Yep, Im extremely frustrated....can you tell!? Thanks Cooltech, NOT cool!

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Installed the Cooltech JL wiring harness today. I really hate to do this but I need to be honest...their customer service sucks! Try calling their number and see what you get...a constant busy signal. Then send them an email and they will only want to reply via email. Keep in mind that you have your Jeeps wiring all apart and its business hours, yet you have to wait for an email to come in. I really never like to say bad stuff online but in this case I feel like its warranted.

...and Im still waiting for their reply as to how to send my brake signal back through the cable (which is ONLY 4 wires) to my coach.

Yep, Im extremely frustrated....can you tell!? Thanks Cooltech, NOT cool!
Sorry to hear that as I was one of the first to order, receive and install this same wiring harness for my JL from Cooltech. I must have spoke to them at easily 3 times.. I was on the waiting list for the harness while in development/testing....they gave updates and I had one install question. It is a simple install. Once you get your question answered, the remaining install should go rather quick. I works great and I am so glad I used this product. Good luck-hope your able to wrap it up soon.

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I'm sorry Scott is frustrated - and what he says IS true. We don't have phone support. Wish we did - but the size of the business is such that to have a KNOWLEDGEABLE person available via the phone is just not pragmatic for us. We DO try to offset this by making our instructions as detailed and as straightforward as possible AND we do try to be VERY responsive through emails. Yes, emails are not as instantaneous as phone support, but honestly, it does seem to work well/sufficient for most of our customers.

Regarding the "issue" that Scott is having. Our kit includes a "brake signal out" wire. This is purely for the convenience of our customers who are installing an auxillary braking device along with our harness to control the lights. Some of the aux braking devices ask the installer to tap into the brake switch to get a brake signal. As we have this signal readily available - we have a pigtail out wire that customers can use. In Scott's case, he's getting creative (a good thing) and he wants to route this wire to the tow vehicle and use it to indicate if the brake pedal is being depressed. Neat idea, but it will be problematic to try to use the conventional umbilical cord - because typically tow vehicles are already mapping all 7 pins (wires). We advised Scott that the easiest way to do this may be to have an additional wire (with some kind of disconnect at the front of the Jeep) and do it this way.

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Holy old thread revival!!

Lets make a couple of needed updates: When we developed the JL harness we had access to an early (pre-production) JL. Our original kit had a "pigtail brake signal" output wire to help customers who were installing aux braking devices - many of which want a brake light signal out. HOWEVER, all production Jeeps go to sleep 3-5 minutes after the last door is closed. Activating the brake pedal in this sleep-mode will NOT illuminate that brake lights. As such, our goodwill effort to provide a brake signal output pigtail was for not. Maybe the first few of our kits had that wire but the hundreds of units after that have not included that wire.

The CHMSL (Center High Mounted Stop Lamp) is on a completely different circuit and is not activated by our harness kit.
Sponsored