Flat tow wiring

Captmisket

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Need help. I have a boat hitch with plug in lights to brake lights. I am trying to install lights for flat towing my 2021 jeep wrangler jl. I want to use the hopkins 56200. After watching utube not sure i can since i already have a plugin at brake lights. What do folks use to hook up flat tow when you already have hitch lights to brake lights.

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Check your part #'s. The 56200 is what I used to wire my previous 2016 JK for flat towing. I do not think it will work for a JL. I believe the 56210 is what you are looking for.
The Hopkins kit for the new JL/JT Jeep was unavailable when I set mine up for flat towing. I am not sure if it is even available yet. I just checked and it is still not available.
I ended up going with the Cooltech LLC flat tow harness. Only 4 easy splices needed by the passenger seat. Air gap isolation switch, no diodes. Works great.
One cable to run from under seat to the front. No wires run from the tail light connectors, so that would be an option for you.

JL/JT Tow Harness Kit (cooltechllc.com)

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
I plan to use this wiring kit:
Curt 58964, Amazon, $67.03
Plug n play with diodes.
From what I have been finding/reading, you will also need to install a stop light switch, to be able to use the braking signal warning from your braking system. The tail light wiring kits isolate the jeep wiring from the towing lights. When the braking system engages, there is no signal from the jeeps brake lights.

Last edited:

Advertisement

ATO4x4

Advertisement