Flat Tow Milage question

RCH

First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL RUBI 2dr 2.0t, 2014 CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK
When the JL Rubi 2.0 T is in tow with the shift in Park and the 4 wheel in neutral, does the odometer record miles? The transmission is locked by being in park. Are the odometer sensors at the wheel or in the transmission. I would love to hear that "tow miles" are odometer free.

thanks in advance.
v/r rch
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
When the JL Rubi 2.0 T is in tow with the shift in Park and the 4 wheel in neutral, does the odometer record miles? The transmission is locked by being in park. Are the odometer sensors at the wheel or in the transmission. I would love to hear that "tow miles" are odometer free.

thanks in advance.
v/r rch
I'm pretty sure that if the wheels are turning it's recording mileage. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Edit: after a quick Google search, I believe that it is indeed "free" miles. However, keep in mind that you are still acquiring wear and tear on your tires and other moveable parts.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

thanks in advance.
v/r rch
No - your Jeep has to be powered on to clock miles. It would be a good idea to track miles so you can rotate tires properly.

OP
OP

RCH

First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am getting a 50/50 split on the answer to my question. I can't test this myself because I am only part way through my set up. Tow bar has arrived, e-brake has arrived. Wiring harness will be installed this week and still trying to finalize my selection for tow bar set up (3-dueces, RH Patriot, or blue ox tow plate).

Once I can tow it, I will know in about 10 miles whether or not I am having an odometer event. I guess I could find a long hill, set the emergency brake, put the 4 wheel dirve selector in neutral, the shift in park, turn off the vehicle, and then release the emergency brake.

It would be easier if I could find someone who has towed the jl 2.0 who could break the current opinion tie.

thanks in advance v/r rch

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I believe it is indeed free miles. But like I said previously, you are still causing wear and tear on your tires and any other moving part. But I don't know for sure. That was just a quick Google search.

Screenshot_20190225-083049.png

Sponsored

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
No, towed miles do not increase your odometer reading.

Sleblanc63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlUR 2.0L
Occupation
RV driver, wife annoyer and grand kid spoiler.
We flat tow ours. No mileage recorded during flat tow.

OP
OP

RCH

First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought the MOPAR 7 year 75000 mile top level warranty with 0 deductible. It was expensive. The 7 year 100,000 mi warranty would have been even MORE expensive.

The 7 year to 75000 mile ratio will be close. I will be using this as a daily driver when not in toad status.

Good news is that I work from home, so, I don't do commuter miles.

The odometer matters through 2026 ...…

Thanks to all who replied. v/r rch

Last edited:

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
We tow ours and no milage racks up. But.....be careful cause you're going to drive more than you planned. I estimated I'd drive about 5000 miles/year based on previous vehicles. I've owned for 11 months now and am coming up on 10K. It just puts a smile on your face to drive the thing. You may need to get a bicycle to keep your milage down.

OP
OP

RCH

First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We tow ours and no milage racks up. But.....be careful cause you're going to drive more than you planned. I estimated I'd drive about 5000 miles/year based on previous vehicles. I've owned for 11 months now and am coming up on 10K. It just puts a smile on your face to drive the thing. You may need to get a bicycle to keep your milage down.
I might need to start saving my nickels and just buy out the last 25000 miles that are available. I am having the same problem. I am finding excuses to just go drive mine. Especially though the national forests here. Glad I haven't got any BLM land that is truly near by.

Best to all.... v/r rch

MidMo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ / 2001 WJ / 2017 Ram 3500HD / 2019 JLU Moab
Good to know about the mileage tracking while towing, I always wondered. As we enjoy the RV life, getting a rig that could tow instead of being towed may be in our future. Side note...I could just imagine how high your MPG would be if the Jeeps computer tracked flat tow mileage. 1000 miles between fill-up would be awesome...roughly 50 MPGs!
Sponsored