First post - Q about 2L vs 3.6L

RAO

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara; 2022 JL Rubicon
Looking to order a 2dr Rubicon soon and have been going back and forth on engine selection. A wealth of knowledge here and read the threads on the engines but couldn’t tell if the comparisons were the 2L eTorque vs the 3.6L or the 2L vs the 3.6 L eTorque. Will the electric motor help the 3.6L on lower end torque? Has anyone had trouble with the eTorque vs the 2 batteries on the 2L? I did see some having low voltage issues on the 2L. Comments appreciated.

-Ray
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
K.I.S.S.
That's my motto.

areuriding

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon XR
If your looking for low end torque nothing will beat the diesel. As far as etorque it helps but again, not like a diesel. 2L turbo is a strong engine for it's size 3.6 is even better. The dual battery setup for the ESS system just plain sucks. I've had diesel trucks my whole life and they are great for sure. That being said, on my XR order I wanted the diesel but the wife said no (it's her Jeep so what can I say). She only said no out of pure lack of knowledge. If it were mine I'd have got the diesel hands down. The maintenance is a bit different, but once your use to it simple.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
If your looking for low end torque nothing will beat the diesel. As far as etorque it helps but again, not like a diesel. 2L turbo is a strong engine for it's size 3.6 is even better. The dual battery setup for the ESS system just plain sucks. I've had diesel trucks my whole life and they are great for sure. That being said, on my XR order I wanted the diesel but the wife said no (it's her Jeep so what can I say). She only said no out of pure lack of knowledge. If it were mine I'd have got the diesel hands down. The maintenance is a bit different, but once your use to it simple.
Did they release the 2dr diesel this weekend? ;)
And you would have been really disappointed if your wife allowed you to get a diesel and you wanted the XR package. Lol

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Looking to order a 2dr Rubicon soon and have been going back and forth on engine selection. A wealth of knowledge here and read the threads on the engines but couldn’t tell if the comparisons were the 2L eTorque vs the 3.6L or the 2L vs the 3.6 L eTorque. Will the electric motor help the 3.6L on lower end torque? Has anyone had trouble with the eTorque vs the 2 batteries on the 2L? I did see some having low voltage issues on the 2L. Comments appreciated.

-Ray
You can't get the 2.0 ETorque in a 2 dr.
In saying that, I have the 2.0 ESS (4dr) and it's been a great engine for 12k. Power all day long and gas mileage is good considering I'm running 35s. And here in Canada we are paying close to $6 a gallon (around $4.80 US).
Coming from a hi hp, low displacement motor (tuned Focus RS) I had confidence in a the 4 banger as well.

I should also add, I use the start stop. It's flawless in my 21.

Last edited:

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
I have the 3.6 eTorque. The start stop works very well. You can hardly tell it is on. As far as extra torque, I wouldn’t make any claims as far as anything being noticeable. The shifting though is silky smooth which eTorque helps at.
There aren’t any complaints from those with eTorque on the forums. It is being used on the Wrangler now and some RAM models. You can find some good YouTube videos out there explaining it much better than anyone here will or Jeep for that matter!

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Both motors are good, 3.6 has been around longer. Neither is lacking in torque for what they are. I chose a 3.6 only because the 4xE wasn't on the lot.

OP
OP
RAO

RAO

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Appreciate the feedback. I understand about the diesel, but looking at gas….

Good to hear about the eTorque - I did look at the RM forums and didn’t see any real issues with the eTorque there.

Is the lag on the turbo long? Read some comments where some were not happy with the delay on the turbo.

My other thought was that since my wife has a 2015 JKU Sahara, would be easier maintenance wise to have same engine.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

Good to hear about the eTorque - I did look at the RM forums and didn’t see any real issues with the eTorque there.

Is the lag on the turbo long? Read some comments where some were not happy with the delay on the turbo.

My other thought was that since my wife has a 2015 JKU Sahara, would be easier maintenance wise to have same engine.
There is a bit of lag on the non etourque. I am about to install a HikeIt throttle controller to take care of that though.

Sponsored

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ

I only test drove the 2.0 a few times but I thought the Jeep I was driving had lag. Not so much turbo lag, but the Jeep I drove had a noticeable input lag from when I punched the accelerator. The 3.6 has it to some extent as well but I didn’t think it was as much. My other vehicle has a turbo so I am aware what turbo lag is.

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Have owned both the 2.0 and 3.6 ESS motors in two doors and prefer the former.

Reminds me of my old Mazdaspeed 3 engine. Lots of low end torque and the 8 speed automatic is fantastic. I don’t notice any turbo lag when I stomp on it and don’t feel the need for a throttle controller.

Yes, it sounds like a sewing machine, but I get a little better gas mileage.

Both are great engines. My advice is to test drive each one.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I don’t think anyone has had a BSG/Etorque long enough to find out how reliable it will be in the long term. It does have the 8 year / longer mileage warranty on the hybrid parts, but costs outside of warranty will be significant.

OP
OP
RAO

RAO

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really appreciate all the comments. still undecided about which engine to go with but currently leaning towards the 2L turbo as It’s easy to defeat the ess.
Sponsored