Question about 3.6L v6

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
The 3.6 is a high compression engine. i agree that Jeep has done a great job of making it work with low octane fuel, but higher octane will never hurt, and might help in the long run.. BUT, it's not because higher octane has any additional additives. It doesn't. It's just higher octane (where I live). I can get ethanol free 88 octane at a close by station. It cost the same as premium (91 octane here, because of the altitude - another part of the equation that I don't want to get into now, but if you want to understand how octane affects engines and fuel, you might want to google it). Anyway, I've been buying that. 👍
Sponsored

UniqueUserName

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Wrangler YJ, 2022 JLUR-XR
I don't run more octane than specified in a NA engine (well maybe if I drive through Death Valley in the summer). The only time it makes a performance difference is in an engine that detunes when running lower octanes. My Ecoboost engines have a noticeable power difference when running high octane but they run fine on 87 too. I run 91 or 93 in them, depending on where I am because, well, what would be the point in running turbos otherwise...