FCA Spyware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Disconnect the cell antenna? Of course this would stop the over the air updates (maybe not a bad thing, every update brings new, surprising glitches).
Gregj
That would also kill the navigation. The UConnect 8.4 units use the cell connection to determine GPS position.

You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
If you use a Apple or Android phone,( using Google/gmail) you are carrying around a built in spy.
No tin foil will help.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
If you use a Apple or Android phone,( using Google/gmail) you are carrying around a built in spy.
No tin foil will help.
Obviously if the OP is so worried about big brother they don’t own a cell phone or use the internet. OP probably had an anonymous friend start this thread even.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Notifications from where? Phone? E-mail? Emergency Broadcast System?

I've never received notifications for tire pressure or oil, but I tend to opt out of every notification.

Correction: the jeep will yell at you for low tire pressure.

I basically turn off every notification, except the ones that tell me about tornadoes, microbursts, and abductions.
I would get an email every time I aired down at a trailhead warning me that my tire pressure was low.

Well duh!

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I assume this only applies to the 8.4” screen... can anyone confirm that the 5 and 7 inch screens don’t “phone home”?

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I regularly receive notices from FCA about my Jeep's tire pressure and oil condition, I consider this to be spyware and want to turn it off.
Does anyone know how or if it can be done? I don't like Big Brother or FCA watching me.
You want to disconnect the Sirius/XM antenna above the soundbar. I'm just waiting for mine to expire at the end of the month.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
The smaller radios don’t have a cell connection.
Gregj

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I would get an email every time I aired down at a trailhead warning me that my tire pressure was low.

Well duh!
That's crazy. I don't think I have that good a signal, to send and receive an e-mail each time, and I definitely don't remember giving the jeep an e-mail address to begin with; I'll have to check my spam. Maybe you can hard-reset the jeep and re-do the preferences?

I slogged through the menus for quite a while on first setup.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I get “vehicle health reports” on my cell phone about once every couple of months. I kinda like it. If one of my tires has a slow leak while in my garage all week this service let’s me know the tire is going low. I’d rather that than find a flat 4:00 AM on a Saturday morning when I’m ready to head upstate.

Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Just because you consider that spyware, doesn’t mean that follows the conventional definition of spyware.

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
My onstar does the same thing in my Tahoe. Every month. No big deal. It comes to my “good” email address. I never noticed it sending me spam email. I get zero span on that address cause very few businesses or people have it. I never signed up for guardian. Don’t get anything on my Jeep. I really don’t look at this as spyware. I have tried to keep myself as safe as possible but at this point woth how we are plugged in it’s pretty impossible at this point. I do what I can. But even being in these forums you are accepting cookies and other stuff most likely. I do stay away from all social media cause that is just my choice. And I only use this forum and a few others. But again. It’s almost impossible.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Take the tin foil hat off your head and place it over the antenna module. Problem solved.
Is there any place I can wrap my Jeep in tin foil, basically make it a huge Faraday cage. It will be a plus if the tin foil come with color selections, I like it to be camo so it can match my zombie surviving kit.

OP
OP

LazyJL

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2001 built XJ, 1997 near stock XJ
Occupation
Retired fabricator and mechanic
Status